Working wireless USB dongles.

ProxyPro

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I have a HP nc6220 that I have installed Kalyway after about 10 installs I finally got everything working expect for any type of wired or wireless network. My internal NIC is detected but I just get a loop back IP with all 0's as my MAC address. I have tried iWiDarwin that just crashes every time I try to connect to a network (WEP or NOT) + all my networks are WEP (so that wouldn’t help).

Yesterday I went out and bought a Belkin F5D9050 USB dongle (its freaking HUGE) that has support for Vista and Os 10.3 and 10.4 on the box. I installed it and everything installed fine. However when I insert the USB dongle and connect successfully to a network. I then go to System/Network and try to add an Ethernet adaptor there is none. None of the options it gives me will let me get on the network. So the wireless utility connects but the OS does not recognize the connection.

Does anyone know of a fix for that or a good working USB dongle (I’m guessing pcima card slot does not work, just been reading alot of people have not got it to work).

Any Help will be MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!! Thanks again everyone.

Well I using this at the moment:Belkin N Wireless USB AdapterPart # F5D8053And I did install this driver from RA + link firm as it was / is a chipset from them.see the att. file.You could try to install the same driver as its working great with the utility and so one..Found this ...If this is not helping :From another user with the same device and problem.."this link http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.htmlI installed the software on my mac mini, rebooted and low and behold the link light started blinking, launched their software and it saw all the wireless networks around me so I continued setting up a profile for my wireless network and rebooted again and to my surprise every thing worked." ;)Found this from another forum , with a user with the same device and problems..this link http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.htmlI installed the software on my mac mini, rebooted and low and behold the link light started blinking, launched their software and it saw all the wireless networks around me so I continued setting up a profile for my wireless network and rebooted again and to my surprise every thing worked.

USBWireless_Leopard.pkg.zip

Hello Everyone,

I have a HP nc6220 that I have installed Kalyway after about 10 installs I finally got everything working expect for any type of wired or wireless network. My internal NIC is detected but I just get a loop back IP with all 0's as my MAC address. I have tried iWiDarwin that just crashes every time I try to connect to a network (WEP or NOT) + all my networks are WEP (so that wouldn't help).

Yesterday I went out and bought a Belkin F5D9050 USB dongle (its freaking HUGE) that has support for Vista and Os 10.3 and 10.4 on the box. I installed it and everything installed fine. However when I insert the USB dongle and connect successfully to a network. I then go to System/Network and try to add an Ethernet adaptor there is none. None of the options it gives me will let me get on the network. So the wireless utility connects but the OS does not recognize the connection.

Does anyone know of a fix for that or a good working USB dongle (I'm guessing pcima card slot does not work, just been reading alot of people have not got it to work).

Any Help will be MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!! Thanks again everyone.

If I understand what you mean, I assume you're looking for a way to have your WIFI adpater integrate directly into OS X, so that you can see the signal strength in the top right on the menu bar, and what not?

I've been looking for the same thing myself (Asus WL-167G has a HORRIBLE connection utility) but I haven't found any. However, if you happen to have an ExpressCard slot on your PC (like a PCMCIA card, but newer), the D-LINK DWA-643 is a WIFI ExpressCard that is detected natively by OS X.

blabus,

Thanks for the tip ill see if I can find that card at Bestbuy or another shop.

As for having the card intergrated into OSx where I can see singal strenght and all that good stuff. It really doesnt matter. ONLY IF I GET Connection to work!! that will be good enough. Its really weird the USB utility says connected but when I open Safari it has no network connection. SS below

ssgx2.jpg

blabus,

Thanks for the tip ill see if I can find that card at Bestbuy or another shop.

As for having the card intergrated into OSx where I can see singal strenght and all that good stuff. It really doesnt matter. ONLY IF I GET Connection to work!! that will be good enough. Its really weird the USB utility says connected but when I open Safari it has no network connection. SS below

ssgx2.jpg

Oh, that's the same software I use for my Asus WL-167G. It's pretty crappy, huh? I get that a lot when I connect to a network but then can't get online. I don't know how to fix it though. I just plug the adapter into different USB ports and eventually it starts working.