Macs seem to cost more than PCs - What's the value?

89 posts in this topic

^lawl, you're exactly the kind of customers Apple doesn't want or need. Go back to fixing your tin can computer.

well maybe to you they are "tin cans" fair enough, everyone is allowed thier opinion.

I;ll stay to the topic and only say that money doesnt grow on trees as as a family man with lots of bills and mortgage i cannot afford "flashy" macs, i DO the same work and EVEN more on a cheap "tin can"

Regardless what we like or not both companies are there to rip us off! keep that in mind.

Same with cars u see, i have a cheap car which has 4 wheels, AC,Stereo and drives me from home to work, if you prefer to waste 3x of $$$ and get a BMW to do the same journey well ..its up to you. The only thing you get (same applies to computers) is a feeling that you own something flashy..a bit of show off..imo.

Peopel just be creative for as much cheaper as you can stop getting rippd off by an apple logo.

You say all you like about PCs but they are very customizable and personally ive never had any troubles. it didnt had to stress over money either. I dont like Windows much either i find them boring but hey we are talking hardware here.

a MAC MINI isn't expensive at all, so quit griping about pricing.

But the Mac Mini doesn't quite cut it for me. I'd want something with a decent video card for gaming or other 3D-intensive stuff. The Mac Mini's video card isn't really good for that kind of thing. I know because I've owned one before.

Besides, I don't know that the Mac Mini is a fair comparison to a PC. For the same price, I could buy a PC in a standard tower case, which would make it more easily upgradeable.

Mac mini doesn't cut it for me either. I bought a SG33G5, put in a E6550, OCd it to 2.7ghz, threw in 4gb of RAM, I have about 1.5 terabytes of total storage (2 SATA internal drives 1 USB Western Digital My Book) installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and I'm good to go.

mac mini has overheat issues aswell.

maybe it just me i dont know but small AIO designs doct cut it for me.

and lets not forget ..How about the FUN of building the computer urself!

to me thats a very important part hehehe hence i prefer towers.

and NO! Leopard is not that good in terms of speed, is way slower that Tiger and needs more memory.

Also to all those who bash Windows you need to play with Mac OS abit..Online updates for Leopard roughly 500mb and it restarts about 3-5 times! So cant {censored} about windows there.

I totally disagree.... Leopard has been MUCH faster than Tiger for me. I already had a maxed out computer (memory wise) so I never notice any of the MEMORY Hog issues you reported. Avergae size Update... 135MB, Not the 500MB you report. You must be doing combo updates, yet even those have been fine. Multi Restarts??? 2 at most... Never more than 2. On any of my REAL MACS that I have updated. Even my 1st Gen Macbook. Which, BTW, loved the install of leopard. Streamlined and fixed so many issues I had with 10.4.9/10

Boot times were WAAAAY faster than 10.4 in the order of 25 seconds or less. with a lousy 5400rpm HD on that Macbook.

Not sure which computer screwed you over, but life has been good.

Now for that HP, MBP comparison....

Whats missing??

OS X obviously. LOL

Firewire 800. the MBP is targeted to Graphics and Video Pros... FW800 is important for that. For me, an audio pro, FW400 is more than adequate, unless you are doing 96K or 192K audio.

No Backlighted Keyboard.... Max batter life of 3 hours, 30 minutes battery. So that extra hour I can get on a MBP when on that NYC to LAX flight is missing. I have watched 2 movies on a lowly macbook on that particular flight (United scarelines.)

.57" thicker, .9 lbs more weight. That alone is worth a few hundred bucks..... Save my arm and shoulder PLEASE!!!!!

DESIGN DESIGN DESIGN. I prefer elegant design over that clunky glossy PC laptop look. My wife asked me about a hack laptop. I laughed and asked her does she like the macbook over these cheesy toys. She toyed around with a Toshiba and an HP for a couple fo weeks. She ran back to the Macbook. LOL.

Design. You are paying for Design. I have payed that premium since 1992. I dont regret it. My annoyance with apple is the LACK OF a reasonably price Mid Tower. Even a Mac Mini "Pro" with an Expresscard/34 SLot would be a nice addition. Then I can have my PCI slots. Otherwise.... Hack On Baby!!!!

My annoyance with apple is the LACK OF a reasonably price Mid Tower. Even a Mac Mini "Pro" with an Expresscard/34 SLot would be a nice addition. Then I can have my PCI slots.

That's what annoys me too, and one of the reasons I made this post. The difference in price between the hard-to-upgrade iMac/Mac Mini and the Mac Pro is quite a bit. I'm not an audio/video pro or anything, so the Mac Pro's Xeon CPU and fully buffered RAM is a bit overkill for me. So I'd also like to see them make a decenty priced mid tower. The fact that the hackintosh community is thriving is proof that there is demand for more choices.

I see a couple of people bashing HP here as inferior hardware... I wonder how often these people actually owned HP.

I've owned Apple, Sony, Asus, Dell and HP laptops. The two HP's were very reliable, stable and well built.

I've also worked with a new 17" HP. Great design, fast, felt very strong built. It had an excellent screen with dual backlights. Imo this screen is superior to the MPB, but that's personal because i love glossy.

Read here a review of HP "Excellent build quality"

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...+GHz+%2D+15%2E4

Hewlett Packard uses normal Intel mobile chipsets.

At the moment I use an Asus laptop (3 years old and has travelled extensively) it's unbreakable. I have a Mac Air for on the road. Completely love it.

The strenghts of Apple, imo, are:

-Design

-Support (for example worlwide garantee, unlike Sony)

-No viruses.

The strenghts of Apple, imo, are:

-Design

-Support (for example worlwide garantee, unlike Sony)

-No viruses.

Don't forget that macs hold their value... REALLY well.

My 3 yr old iMac is worth over 650, and I only paid 1K!!!

My 3 month old dell laptop is worth 450, and I paid 2k!

well well, the way the global economy is going down apple should pull the stick out of their a**.

You first.

I happend to be a junior apple technician (still learning) but what i have seen has put me off.

Lay off in 3...2...1...

Replacement Optical Drive (Superdrive for u mac's) = ~$300 US !!! yes u read that correctly (official australian apple price)
Replacement Motherborad (Logic Board for u mac's) for MacBook 13'' = ~$700 US !!!

so there you go, if something happens go and buy new AIO mac! lol

Sure, if you don't have the Applecare Protection Plan, in which case all replacements would be FREE.

and MacBooks are disaster...they all come in for repairs (more common the keyboard faulty)

Has any of you noticed how hot the iMac's get ?? 50% more than my dell laptop after playing Half Life 2 for hours.

You're not supposed to put it on your face. It gets hotter, who cares, it's a thin aluminum shell casing. Besides, it helps with air conduction, which is one of the points of using aluminum.

and iMacs ..wtf ..a beginner cant even add a HD by himself. esp. the newest models with the glass cover. NO way of having Raid.

Adding a hard drive is very easy and requires no skills, just a Torx T6 screwdriver. Unscrew some screws, remove the glass, replace. Repeat backwards. Done.

Also wtf is with ancient 1 button mouse !!!!

Where have you been for the past 2 years? All mice used by Apple are two-button MightyMouse mice.

Steve is loosing it.

Sure. Because he makes every single decision in the company.

and NO! Leopard is not that good in terms of speed, is way slower that Tiger and needs more memory.

Leopard is MUCH faster than Tiger in almost every aspect of using the computer.

Also to all those who bash Windows you need to play with Mac OS abit..Online updates for Leopard roughly 500mb and it restarts about 3-5 times! So cant {censored} about windows there.

Updates for Leopard are approximately anywhere from 50MB to 350MB, and the computer restarts once...I have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, I'd rather have those huge updates and restart once than have updates break certain things and be prone to hacks.

Yes they are HUGELY overpriced considering ive seen all their inside parts..nothing flashy.

iMac suck (again) they are not sure what they are , desktops or laptops ?

and their insides are wraped in aluminium foil ...its actually funny hehehe

ps. i like Linux btw

You're not supposed to see the inside of it. So who cares if it's not flashy or not? If it works much better than any {censored} windows/linux computer, then who cares?

The problem is: they don't work any better than a PC with similar components. You are buying into design and koolaid when you buy a mac. That simple, it either appeals to you or it doesn't. That's also part of why they hold their value better, you aren't paying for performance, you're paying for the looks. A PC is outdated pretty fast, but the looks of an iMac stay current for a couple years.

You are buying into design and koolaid when you buy a mac. That simple, it either appeals to you or it doesn't.

That, and also OS X is designed to run only on Apple's hardware. The primary reason I would buy a Mac isn't for their looks or design, but to be able to run OS X without the hassle that comes with running OS X on a hackintosh.

Adding a hard drive is very easy and requires no skills, just a Torx T6 screwdriver. Unscrew some screws, remove the glass, replace. Repeat backwards. Done.

You sure it's a T6? When I changed my HD in my MacBook I used a T7. Why would the MacBook need a bigger Torx head then an iMac?

Macintosh value > PC's value

With the MacBook Pro vs. HP battle, you forgot some things. With the MacBook Pro you get the following advantages:

• Mac OS X
  • Extra Design Features (e.g. fans aren't placed on the bottom like on my old Dell)
  • AirPort antennas in the screen for best reception
  • MagSafe
  • Built-in iSight
  • Excellent battery life
  • LED backlight
  • Slot loading optical drive (no tray)
  • Thinner and lighted design (nicer to have on lap)
  • Built in cable wrap in power brick

And these are just some of them. So I think you get more for your money with Macs despite just worrying about the clock speed, memory, etc.

Does it ever occur to Mac fanboys that they don't have to bash other operating systems (or it's users) to point out PRO's about the Mac platform?

I know alot of you are over the age of majority, but it seems like you act like the age of something countable on one hand.

Adding to the topic, like ilikelmo25 said, these days with Core2Duos, clock speed is becoming more irrelevant, so the value of Macs (and computers in general) come from what the manufacture offers in terms of technical support, ease of use, compatibility, etc.

You sure it's a T6? When I changed my HD in my MacBook I used a T7. Why would the MacBook need a bigger Torx head then an iMac?

*Shrugs*. Macbook Pro hard drive replacement was T6. Guess it depends on the computer.

LOL Berzerker no offense but you sound like the official apple fan boy who jerks off while lookin the curves of the mac computers honestly.

EXACTLY ! Whta you pay is the badge!! thats all !!

All the rest inside dont worry my friend as its all made in taiwan ! just like HP or Dell etc.

My vote goes to performance/ money balance and PC is a winner there and i dnt give a toss how it looks as most of the times its under my desk.lol I actually had a pc once with no case at all just laying on my desk and it had no overheating issues just some dust lol.

MAC and their very strict copyrights reminds me the communism era lol..

Hats of to OS X (software) is very good.

LOL Berzerker no offense but you sound like the official apple fan boy who jerks off while lookin the curves of the mac computers honestly.

EXACTLY ! Whta you pay is the badge!! thats all !!

All the rest inside dont worry my friend as its all made in taiwan ! just like HP or Dell etc.

My vote goes to performance/ money balance and PC is a winner there and i dnt give a toss how it looks as most of the times its under my desk.lol I actually had a pc once with no case at all just laying on my desk and it had no overheating issues just some dust lol.

MAC and their very strict copyrights reminds me the communism era lol..

Hats of to OS X (software) is very good.

This is probably the dumbest post I've seen on IM of all time.

Sorry the Macs are made in China, not Taiwan.

Like everyone else has noted you made a very pathetic post.

If you are so anti Apple / Mac then WHY ARE YOU HERE?

If you are so anti Apple / Mac then WHY ARE YOU HERE?

He probably targeted this forum so that he could tell all the Mac users here how strongly he feels. Unfortunately for him, against him with his "PC rules" argument, there is almost the whole forum.