MacBook Air SuperDrive

hitman38

17 posts in this topic

Hi all

I was just wondering has anyone tried the MacBook Air SuperDrive on a Eee PC or any other laptop. I have a Eee PC running OSX 10.4.8 and like to use MacBook Air SuperDrive with it. it is USB so it should work right???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the voltage different. (OPZZZ am i suppose to said..) :( this is what i learn from apple. macbook air super drive use higher voltage that cause normal USB port unable to function it. in other word means macbook air USB port voltage is higher that other USB port.. unless you have a usb cable that can supply power from ac. but i don think have this kind of product..

Wow, wonnder why the USB to Ethernet is no like the DVD drive, and how other USB devices are not damaged :D

It "downshifts" the power output when you don't need it. Kinda like when you plug a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2.0 port. Some other macs have this same feature, allowing you to plug in the apple keyboard, and attach other devices to the keyboard.

Oh, thanks for the Info.

My PowerBook can use my External USB Disk because the low current, so it needs one of those cables that has 2 USB connectors to have mor power.

Could a USB powered HUB may the drive work?

I like that drive :)

• 1 month later...
Oh, thanks for the Info.

My PowerBook can use my External USB Disk because the low current, so it needs one of those cables that has 2 USB connectors to have mor power.

Could a USB powered HUB may the drive work?

I like that drive :)

The MBA SuperDrive - or at least the pioneer slot loader inside it has a power requirment of 5V 1.5A The standard USB spec is 5V 500mA. Some powered USB hubs have 2 or 3A poweer supplies, but the hub limits the output to 500mA per port.

The MBA SuperDrive has a low power mode, in which it communicates with the MBA to identify itself. The MBA then changes the output on the USB port to 1.5A With a lot of hacking you might be able to get the drive to work on another machine, but probably not because the port is power limited in hardware.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bringing this dusty thread to live but I was wondering if someone still has the company name and part number of this $9 chip because the direct buy link posted above seems to be broken!?

Thank you in advance!

Andy

• 2 months later...

No need for hardware modification when using the latest Boot Camp drivers. My MBA Superdrive works perfectly well with my Win XP PC, and probably with any PC... But how to do to get it to work with another type of Mac than the MBA?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...