How to fix unknown processor string in "About this Mac"

21 posts in this topic

Go to System/Library/CoreServices/Resorces/English.lproj

You will find a file "AppleSystemInfo.string" open it using TextMate and find "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown";

replace unknown with the type of your processor for example, Intel® Core™2 Quad. make sure you change only letters only not the special characters like =, " or ;. Save it, it will ask for your permission, enter your password and you are all set, no need to reboot. SORRY IN THE PICTURE I HIDE MY DISK NAME post-209965-1209950969_thumb.png

have a look at here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98775

it's a small app that identifies your cpu type and speed and puts it in "About this Mac" by eddie11c.

it will even update the string automatically on boot if you overclock, or even change the cpu.

aboutthismac.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am running Leopard 10.5.6 installed with Vanilla Native install disk and cannot get your About This Mac fix to work. Here is the Installer log for it. Your help and advise is possible. Processor reports 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo but not the exact CPU. I ran the Terminal command line which reports the correct CPU.

Installer_Log_19_May_2009.txt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bravo, even works for Snow leopard!!!!

**FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH PERMISSION PROBLEMS**

this is what i did, located the file to edit, copied it to my desktop, did the edit in text edit and copied back to the folder, then clicked authenticate, and replace. and it worked well!!!!

post-447593-1254596481_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...