Using Web Server

10 posts in this topic

I have googled this and yes, there are guides on how to use this. Nothing i have seen is for 10.5.2 though.. So i need help with this. I have started the web server. I have a DynDNS account and registed PJP.ath.cx with me and originly had it set to my ip adress but it would just take me to my router(linksys wrt150n). i want it to go to my site. so i set it to 192.168.1.108 and it takes ME to my the hackbooks site and not the user site. but only computers on my DHCP network can access it. which i get. i want this to be set to go to the used site which the hackbook lists as 192.168.1.108/~terrorx

any help would be apreciated

i apologise for my horrid spelling. only one side of my brain works:P

To make any computers on your local network go to a different IP than what your router's DNS points them to, you have to have the host in your /etc/hosts file.

For example:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	   localhost
192.168.1.108   pjp.ath.cx
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1			 localhost

I am not exactly sure what you mean by this, but its not the computers on my network i am having the troubles connecting to the site. it is anything outside of my network that can not connect to my site. i have my http://pjp.ath.cx ip host set to 142.68.245.241 . now when i go to the url from here it takes me to my router. but will not display anything for anyone not on my network.

Nobody than yourself will be able to reach 192.168.*.* because it's a private IP-Address. You need to give other people (and DynDNS) your WAN/Internet IP-Address.

If your webserver only serves on port 80 (standard-http-port) then you only need to forward port 80.

i checked in that directory and the only thing there is a folder called manual. i droped my index.html page in there but it is still coming up with that apache new install page