Some directions needed please

11 posts in this topic

Hi Fellas,

I'm not trying to be a lazy {censored} here and i did try to google it.

I have a Mini in the living room and its connected to a router, a Linksys WRT54G.

A hack in my room, please read my set in my signature.

Everything works in my set up apart from sleep.

Am trying to set up a network between the 2 machines and i have absolutely no clue how to do it or where to start.

Or if its because there is some restriction due the hack, please let me know.

Could some one just send me a link to a guide or some tips online on how to do it?

Thanks very much!

Have a good weekend ahead fellas

Cheers

CJ

Hey,

the router should take care of everything. Have you tried to ping each box? Also don't forget to turn the firewall of due to the test.

Does your net look like this or differently?

Hackmac <------> Router <------> Mac

Assign a private IP-Address to each computer, enter the routers IP-Address into "Gateway" and you're done.

Hey Chris,

My net does look as u've mentioned.

One question, does connecting the two of them means i cannot access the internet?

SHould the IP address be same or similar to the internets'?

Cheers dude!

Hey,

if the router is connected to the internet, you should have access to the internet from all plugged-in computers as well. That is, if the router is properly set up. Check the manual for how to set it up. Usually those small routers have a web-interface.

The Computers need a private IP-Address. That is _not_ your WAN-Address (Internet).

Just use one from the 192.168.0-255.1-254 pool.

For example: Computer A 192.168.1.1, Computer B 192.168.1.2

Every device must have it's own IP-Address.

but both machines dont see each other.

they both have individual ip addresses.

Internet is working fine.

firewall is turn off.

I've turned on file sharing on both and they dont seem to see each other very well.

SystemPref/sharing/file sharing - on

Other users can access your computer at afp://192.168.1.**0/ or browse for "CJ Mclean’s Mac Pro".

Other users can access your computer at afp://192.168.1.**1/ or browse for "CJ Mclean’s Mac mini".

Meaning the shared places on the side bar appears but the moment i tried to connect, it disappears.

What is a gateway?

how do u ping the machine?

could it be because my mini is runnin tiger and hack is on leopard?

Thanks so much for yr time.

Hey,

enable ftp in the sharing options (because I know it works for me).

Gateway = Router or a computer that routes, for you it's your router. I just see that it's not called "gateway" in the network options, it says "router". But it's the same, Apple just simplified it.

Ping can be accessed via the Terminal. Open Terminal, enter: ping <ip-address>

If you get a reply with ping, try to ftp by doing: ftp <ip-address>

If both works, then everything else should work too. If not, enter these commands in the Terminal and post the results (on both boxes). "ifconfig" and "netstat -r".

Good luck

RESULT FROM terminal AFTER PING

cj-mcleans-mac-pro:~ cjmclean$ ping 192.168.1.100PING 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.298 ms64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.280 ms64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.296 ms64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.295 ms64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.286 ms

it just goes on pinging

RESULT FROM terminal AFTER FTPcj-mcleans-mac-pro:~ cjmclean$ ftp 192.168.1.100Connected to 192.168.1.100.220 Cecil-Junior-Mcleans-Mac-mini.local FTP server (tnftpd 20061217) ready.Name (192.168.1.100:cjmclean):

Still no sight of my mini's folder in the finder

could it be because my mini is runnin tiger and hack is on leopard?My GF's ibook is running tiger and it reads my mini just fine.

Or it could be the hack os...

Sorry, but I don't know that. I doubt that the hack is the reason. I'm not sure if Tiger is the reason, maybe something got changed, but then there should be a solution somewhere.

Anyways, your biggest problem is solved, TCP/IP connectivity is working. That means everything else is not a network problem.

Maybe use ftp temporarily to move files until you found a way. Try discussions.apple.com if you can't find help here.