How about WinTel 2.1.1

20 posts in this topic

Strange, because I tried Q and when I tried to start up a new virtual machine I had just created, it would just crash. It didn't seem to work on my new iMac Intel.

You need to download the latest unstable build. Beware that Windows XP setup doesn't work under Q yet.

That's just a pretty GUI around QEMU. You get the exact same speeds with WinTel as you get with the free Q.

It's Bochs not Qemu and it's only fast enough for W95 or DOS.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...c=7034&hl=bochs

EDIT: Pu7o, you are right they replaced Bochs with QEMU now :)

It's Bochs not Qemu and it's only fast enough for W95 or DOS.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...c=7034&hl=bochs

EDIT: Pu7o, you are right they replaced Bochs with QEMU now :dev:

Supposedly it runs native on the Intel Macs and I guess it's universal because they claim they can run Windows XP at near-native speeds. Check it out here: www.openosx.com/wintel

What they claim and what the reality is are two very different things. It is native only in the sense that the front end is supposedly compiled as an UB. Just read the reviews around the web about WinTel and forget it - the guy selling it is a complete charlatan.

Supposedly it runs native on the Intel Macs and I guess it's universal because they claim they can run Windows XP at near-native speeds. Check it out here: www.openosx.com/wintel

It never run near-native speed, that's utopia. OpenOSX haven't done anything for the bochs or qemu code itself, they only made GUIs. It runs like qemu without kqemu accelerator module in Linux or MS: slow. Use Q if you want it, it's the same and it's free.

You need to download the latest unstable build. Beware that Windows XP setup doesn't work under Q yet.

It doesn't work under WinTel either -- no surprise since it's just the same open source package passed off as their own. Not only did they contribute nothing to the product they're trying to make money off of, they can't supply a version able to install XP until Q's author fixes the bugs in Qemu under OS X x86 (so they can rip that off as well).

Interesting thoughts, guys. I have been using Q, which is flakey, but does work in the end. Right now I have only been able to go through the process for Windows 2000, since the XP install does not work. But I am going to dig up a version of XP I had installed through Virtual PC and see if I can use the "convert" ability that Q has to have a running version of XP working. Then I want to use it's files for WINE, and hopefully have more complete support for programs running natively within OS X.

Here is one description of how to get XP running under Q on the intel Macs:

The workaround:

Get the windows version of QEMU, and create a guest PC in that. You can then transfer that image to the Intel Mac, and it will work!! The main problem was that I only have an old Pentium 3 650 Mhz PC, and to install XP, it took... wait for it.... 9.5 hours!!!!!!! BUT, it was worth it, and I now have XP running on my Core Duo.

• 2 weeks later...

just because i was curious, i tried openosx 2.1.1 and it is dog slow... and it says it is MacBochs Version 2.2.5 with a wrapper... nothing special at all...

one day we will have fast emulation, right?

• 4 weeks later...