LOGIC 8 BENCHMARK

seppa

133 posts in this topic

I suggest ensuring this test run for 10 minutes without a glitch. Only then can you call it a success.. there is too much variation otherwise.

I must of run it for a good hour or so I went out and left it on at the time, as soon as I put it up to 29 tracks though it stopped straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

Not true. I've seen benchmarks drop from going to DDR3 from DDR2 at low latencies. DAWs are more latency limited not bandwidth limited which means the higher bandwidth of DDR3 and higher latency will probably hurt performance compared to lower bandwidth but also lower latency DDR2.

This will all change with Nehalem with its quickpath and on-board mem controller (and better fpu performance) I imagine it will be ideal for a DAW.

Agreed on the UAD-1 (or UAD-2) I have a couple of them and they are great.. for mixing anyway, not so much for tracking (yet) but that is coming hopefully in a future UAD-2 driver update

DDR3 over DDR2 should increase your computer perfs about 2or 3%... nothing more, nothing less... For the price difference, you should considere buying an UAD 1 (used) that doesn't cost much more than the difference on 8 Gigs of memory.

You'll get acces to incredible souding plugs and your system will thank you to stress it a bit less <_< and for sure, You'll have more than the 3 % (1 or 2 more tracks...) increased global perfs...

• 2 months later...

i use the the ga ep45-ds34 4 gigs of ram 500 gig drive focusrite saffire the original ...logic 8's update to latest version...

ok overlayed idneb 10.5.5 over the leo4all v3 10.5.2....

now the logic test only reason i did it cause my friend blew his load on the 8 core intel mac pro...

i did 255 seperate exs24 samplers n 70 audio tracks the audio tracks were just straight loops from logics loop broswer it sounded good now i clicked on the cpu monitor in logic core 1-2 were close to the halfwy point n 2nd set of cores were just about half of that...

i dont know why people are just getting 3o tracks with a uad processor i was just messing around to see how far i can go....

peace guys n good luck with your hack katts.

Since updating to 10.5.5 my q6600@ 2.8ghz can now play 28 tracks at 256 buffer, five more than I could play before. I'll be hopefully overclocking it to 3.6ghz this week once I get a new cooler hope I can push it above the 35 track mark.

That's very good...

I'm running my q6600 at 3.6GHz, 8gb of ram, leo 10.5.6, latest logic, and I can only get 29 tracks. You'll need a good cooler to get to 3.6 tho :)

As soon as I enable to 30th track, audio stops. I am using onboard sound tho, I'm not sure if using an external soundcard would help at all?

That's very good...

I'm running my q6600 at 3.6GHz, 8gb of ram, leo 10.5.6, latest logic, and I can only get 29 tracks. You'll need a good cooler to get to 3.6 tho ;)

As soon as I enable to 30th track, audio stops. I am using onboard sound tho, I'm not sure if using an external soundcard would help at all?

I'm only using a {censored} soundblaster external, getting a mackie onyx satellite soon see if my performance gets better.

i use the the ga ep45-ds34 4 gigs of ram 500 gig drive focusrite saffire the original ...logic 8's update to latest version...

ok overlayed idneb 10.5.5 over the leo4all v3 10.5.2....

now the logic test only reason i did it cause my friend blew his load on the 8 core intel mac pro...

i did 255 seperate exs24 samplers n 70 audio tracks the audio tracks were just straight loops from logics loop broswer it sounded good now i clicked on the cpu monitor in logic core 1-2 were close to the halfwy point n 2nd set of cores were just about half of that...

i dont know why people are just getting 3o tracks with a uad processor i was just messing around to see how far i can go....

peace guys n good luck with your hack katts.

That´s not the same as this test, try this one and tell us what you get. I have the ep45-ds3 too.

mike Hunt, with a more serious soundcard I guess you should have around 36 tracks with your machine. i can run 31 tracks with Q6600@3.0 ghz.

And some cool news...

I had the chance to buy a Skulltrail mobo including two QX9775 ( 3.2 ghz no OC ) pretty cheap which I bought of course.

66 tracks with 10.5.5. Hackintosh world record? :(

mike Hunt, with a more serious soundcard I guess you should have around 36 tracks with your machine. i can run 31 tracks with Q6600@3.0 ghz.

And some cool news...

I had the chance to buy a Skulltrail mobo including two QX9775 ( 3.2 ghz no OC ) pretty cheap which I bought of course.

66 tracks with 10.5.5. Hackintosh world record? :D

and have you not a serious disbalancing in the processor? (cause there is my probleme :/)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried yesterday, but i just can get 16 tracks :s

I thought i was get almost 30 tracks.

I made a new installation in a blank disk, with Kalyway 10.5.2 and just installed my drivers, logic studio (full pack) and the updates to 8.0.2 and other pro updates from apple...

I don't have an dedicated soundcard, but don't i should get more tracks working?

My specs are in my sign.

:(

66 tracks with 10.5.5. Hackintosh world record? :)

I'm running all 84 tracks on mine, with 256 samples I/O buffer. Judging from other people's results there's a chance that i'm doing something wrong, and perhaps a very small chance that everyone else are doing something wrong...

My specs are: Asus P5K-E, Q6600 @2.4Ghz, 2048mb CL4 DDR2, 500Gb 7200rpm SATA drive, GeForce 7300GT 256Mb, RME 9632 audio card, running Logic 8.02 on OS 10.5.4 Vanilla kernel.

:D

2udwf2x.jpg

I'm running all 84 tracks on mine, with 256 samples I/O buffer. Judging from other people's results there's a chance that i'm doing something wrong, and perhaps a very small chance that everyone else are doing something wrong...

My specs are: Asus P5K-E, Q6600 @2.4Ghz, 2048mb CL4 DDR2, 500Gb 7200rpm SATA drive, GeForce 7300GT 256Mb, RME 9632 audio card, running Logic 8.02 on OS 10.5.4 Vanilla kernel.

:lol:

2udwf2x.jpg

Well according to your screenshot you are doing something wrong. The regions on tracks 17-84 are muted. Try selecting them and press "m" on keyboard. You'll see they'll change from a greyish color to a green like the first 16 tracks. After you do this your results should change quite a bit.

Yeah that would be ever so cool :D but you just got to unmute those tracks. It´s not so bad though cause moast of us manage to run between 20 - 30 tracks depending on OC and such. I don´t know exactly how many that would translate in terms of wav tracks but it should be eonugh for anybodys need.

I have a feeling that you will loose a couple of tracks in this benchmark test when upgrading 10.5.4 to 10.5.5.

10.5.4 is the most optimal version for running Logic 8 so far.

I have no proof for this statement but just a feeling...anyway it is a very minimal difference so if you are running 10.5.5 don´t waste your time to downgrade and if you are running 10.5.4 don´t feel forced to update....

Hey peach-os that is great man, might be worth the trouble one might get in to upgrading to 10.5.6 then. Hmm I just gave my second quadcore away for christmas so I´m kind of scared doing it though. It´s allways good to have another one for backup to pull you out of any troubles you might end up in with updates. How about the over all performance with the EP45-DS3 mobo, is it better than what one get with 10.5.5?

I have a feeling that you will loose a couple of tracks in this benchmark test when upgrading 10.5.4 to 10.5.5.

10.5.4 is the most optimal version for running Logic 8 so far.

I have no proof for this statement but just a feeling...anyway it is a very minimal difference so if you are running 10.5.5 don´t waste your time to downgrade and if you are running 10.5.4 don´t feel forced to update....

whats the best osx version for audio production?

i was using xXx.10.4.11.rev2 on my old P4 3200mhz

but i sell him a few days ago and im waiting for my new pc, now im serching for a new distro

next week i will have this:

quad core 6600

motherboard asus P5Q (chipset P45)

4GB ram (1066mhz)

ati radeon 4850 1GB ram

500 GB sata 2

can i still using 10.4.11 with the new pc? anyone knows if are drivers for my board and graphic card in tiger or i must update to leopard ?

Did the Bench on my core i7 system i can run 70 Tracks

OK... it almost sound too good... Are all 70 tracks really playing? none of them muted?

I know the i7 is really optimized for that kind of audio plugin calculation but 70 tracks on a quad core machine is kind of unbelievable...Maybe there is something great with the 10.5.6 upgrade too...

When I run 66 tracks on my 8 core 3.2 ghz skulltrail on 10.5.5 the activity monitor shows only 450 percent CPU load so if Logic or OSX was more optimized for multicore I should score over 100 tracks.

How much CPU load does activity monitor show for you when running 70 tracks?