If this is what Apple set out to do, it's worked.

dit

8 posts in this topic

After a weeks experience with OS X I just went to the Apple site and ordered a Powerbook.

OK, the software may not be as prolific as Windows but the feel of OS X is just so damn classy and you have to tip your hat to Apples design team.

I can see why I used to think Mac zealots were overprotective of their OS and hardware, nothing can touch it for useability and speed.

The downside of this is the hundreds of people having problems with their OS X install, this may lead people into thinking Mac OS X is unstable.

I'll keep my PC and anything I can't run on my Mac I'll run on my PC, MediaCenter 2005 is a superb OS and I can't live without it.

Kudos to Apple.

yeah, for the past six months i've wanted an ibook...

but i just don't have the cash :-(

so i figured this osx86 stuff would be a good preview for me since i (finally) can get a job and therefore get an ibook...

i used to be rabidly anti mac and anti windowz, i love linux, but ever since i found that osx was unix based...damn...then my friend who is on college gets an ibook (also used to be rabidly anti cam) and tells me he loves it...

so, now i'm saving up to make the purchase of an x86 ibook when they are available...

windows...ha, i laugh at the poor bastards who insist that it is a good OS...

ok. in 95ish when everyone was buying computers and not many people had the internet i could have seen it as a good os for the average user, but now that everyone is sharing broadband connections and all that {censored}...the internet can be a dangerous place and windows just doesn't have the protection it requires...

After a weeks experience with OS X I just went to the Apple site and ordered a Powerbook.

OK, the software may not be as prolific as Windows but the feel of OS X is just so damn classy and you have to tip your hat to Apples design team.

I can see why I used to think Mac zealots were overprotective of their OS and hardware, nothing can touch it for useability and speed.

The downside of this is the hundreds of people having problems with their OS X install, this may lead people into thinking Mac OS X is unstable.

I'll keep my PC and anything I can't run on my Mac I'll run on my PC, MediaCenter 2005 is a superb OS and I can't live without it.

Kudos to Apple.

I personally will buy a powerbook, but I will wait until apple makes the move to intel. I know universal binaries will be around for years to come, but the reason I am so excited about apple moving to intel is NOT so I can run OSX on my PC, but rather so that I can run Windows on my Mac(or at least a decent version of Darwine) for compatibility. This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying a mac.

I agree with you 100% about apple's design team. They know what they are doing. They have built, in my opinion, THE most elegant operating system, along with some of the best looking hardware!

windows...ha, i laugh at the poor bastards who insist that it is a good OS...

They insist it's a good OS for 2 reasons from what I can tell:

1) They have NEVER tried anything else.

2) They are scared to try anything else.

Fear is inhibiting. You stay in the light if you're afraid of the dark.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think a lot of people will be converted to OSX after trying this software. As many other threads have discussed, Apple may benefit from this or they may not, depending on what happens with OSx86 and its ability to be used on non-Apple hardware. Personally I think that it will be made to run on non-Apple hardware one way or another - and it might be disastrous to Apple if they only sell 'locked' versions because of course all the non-Apple versions will necessarily be hacked ones and therefore probably downloaded from dodgy sources.

As an observation if you go into an Apple store in the US you will often hear PC owners saying how impressed they are with the Macs on display - "This is how Windows should be.." and so on. (They're probably there to buy their kids iPods - before someone queries that comment).

Windows versus Mac - no way am I going to get into that debate. I'm writing this on a Windows PC primarily because I know and trust my site-specific ad filters, cookie and script management software and I've never tried setting that up on my Mac so I don't really trust Safari for anything other than trivial browsing. I use both Windows and OSX and they both have strengths and weaknesses. I use heavyweight apps on both PC and Mac systems and transfer data between them without thinking much about it. For example I have different Photoshop filters on each system so I sometimes have to switch systems in mid-edit. It's no big deal. My PC is so heavily customised now that I don't have too many issues with Microsoft's annoyances (and yes, there are plenty of them). My Mac isn't so customised because I like it much the way it comes - but I'm still irritated by some things and try to find ways to change them. People get very religious about machines and operating systems/interfaces but at the end of the day it's what you like, and what you can live with. You'd probably hate some of my record collection...

Still, what I intended to say before I got all long-winded is that OSX certainly feels superior in design and use than Windows to many, and exposure to OSX through this leaked release will probably convert a lot of people.