Best choice for graphics card?

russellcrib

2 posts in this topic

I've recently looked into building a Hackintosh. However, I'm a little confused as to how the different GPUs work. For instance, on Kalyway 10.5.2, are the things like NVInject and the like included? If not, does it just go to a stanard resolution until you go online/install the drivers? And if it does include those drivers, which would be the best graphics card for ~$100 that would work pretty much right away without too much fiddling?

I've recently looked into building a Hackintosh. However, I'm a little confused as to how the different GPUs work. For instance, on Kalyway 10.5.2, are the things like NVInject and the like included? If not, does it just go to a stanard resolution until you go online/install the drivers? And if it does include those drivers, which would be the best graphics card for ~$100 that would work pretty much right away without too much fiddling?

For me it just worked. I chose a PCIe NVidia 7300GT card (256MB, eVGA branded) as these are known to be fairly compatible. I paid $30 (after rebate), which is pretty low end but good enough for me (not a gamer). I just chose appropriate settings in the Kalyway 10.5.2 install. I believe that 512MB cards are trickier as they must be flashed first. I am using it to drive a 22" LCD monitor, and can switch resolutions at will, and have not added any additional drivers.