nForce4 SATA Issue / RAM issue?

Vareba

2 posts in this topic

Firstly, I want to give thanks to this brilliant community for such an amazing accomplishment of hacking OS X to it's current extent. Namely, eddie11c for "leo4all", fleebailey33 for troubleshooting and Macgirl for all her helpful posts.

Next, my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

4GB DDR2 RAM, 800mhz

nForce4 MSI 7310 motherboard

1xIDE HDD (Windows XP SP2)

3xSATA HDD (1xMac OS X.5.2, kernel 9.2.2 and 2xArchive/Misc Storage)

NVidia 8800GTS 640mb (QE+CI, dual monitor)

Using onboard AC97 audio and ethernet port.

I installed Leo4allv2, had some trouble, fixed it all, everything runs smooth.

Then I started moving files around, installing apps and games, etc. (note: Installing and moving large amounts of data, not downloading), and it was causing kernel panics/crashes.

So I enabled debug=0x100 and took this camera pictures when it would poop:

http://nevus.cc/macx86/DSC00003.JPG

http://nevus.cc/macx86/DSC00004.JPG

eddie11c said to do maxmem=2048, and that seems to have solved my issue.

While I have v2 installed, I used the v3 versions of "old nvidia".

Any experts in kext making have an idea?

Has anybody encountered this and solved it?

Hit me up :(

P.S. I'm learning a lot everyday from this, and I hope to soon be a worthwhile contribution to this stellar community.

I have never been able to solve this problem when I had an AMD 4200+ and FX60, even though I have removed all the known non-PAE compatible kexts as well as all 3rd party drivers. But things seems perfectly fine with all 8GB after I switch to Intel. I also noticed that I could never get any 64 bit capable app running under AMD as 64 bit app, I did some research and it seems that its not possible, maybe that's also related to the same issue?

2048 is a bit modest, you can try 2750 or if you're lucky, above 3000, really depends on your mobo's address allocation.