Successful D5400XS Skulltrail install.

27 posts in this topic

l_90b88ef75f583cfdc976984e6e73874f.jpgimg-resized.png Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 450 ] - Click to view full imagel_d7ee03d70c1df0dd38b8ccd54368f622.jpgimg-resized.png Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 461 ] - Click to view full imagel_52c85371dceda7bacc21fa077d794af4.jpg

img-resized.png Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 477 ] - Click to view full imagel_ca2721b5a0cc473c0792006b8307c216.jpg

This process was aided by Leopard on my real mac pro... easiest.

(MAC PRO) ---->

Format/Partition your SATA/IDE drive for GUID name it... whatever you want.

Next... Use bootloader EFI/Patch :

Thanks to ccg

... download this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26723

<End of MAC PRO usage>

Install newly partitioned / bootefi SATA. Boot up into Kalyway 10.5.2... this download was ridiculously fast... tons of Peers and seeders when I got it -_- Thanks guys!!!

When installing do not attempt to use disk utility again.

Install... customize (options for install)

Install Vanilla Kernel and try to install all drivers for various devices... worked for me. Skip all the BS like Fonts and Printers... save the space... The installer also comes with some really cool programs too : )

Once finished... it should shutdown... cross your fingers and power up.

Reboot. F2 during intel logo screen. Default Bios... Leopard works in Default Bios for D5400XS board.

When it restarts Darwin bootloader should show.

I have a HIS ATI X1950Pro 256M video card. works out of the box.

Ethernet worked till I rebooted lost it.

[ SCRAPPED ------------->

XXXXXXXXXXXMy fix was an extra gigabit ethernet card lying among my messy room. Stick it in PCI slot... not PCI-e. Once I rebooted... it worked flawlessly.XXXXXXXXX ]

[solution--------->

I found the solution for Ethernet thanks to just looking around

The Skulltrail uses an Intel® 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec).

(Will provide link when I get home today)]

Audio was another hassel... quickly figured it out. The skulltrail audio requires STAC9274D audio codec. After some searching I found a fix for another board that has requires the same codec. Installed the following programs and used a linux codec dump. The program installed the codec dump without hiccups. I was really HAPPY.

Get this program: Thanks to Taruga

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18273

and this file: Thanks to babgolis

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=19895

drag file into program icon on desktop... let it do it's thing.. upon reboot your audio will work.

will keep you posted on further findings.

I'm really happy that I was able to install and run all my mac software I was using on my Quad G5 and Mac Pro.

Digital Performer and tons of third party plugins, Final Cut Studio 2, Logic Pro, Shake, Adobe CS3 Design Suite - After Effects - Premiere... Really happy to be able to use my Motu 8Pre Firewire interface with this system... Skulltrail Pimp slaps these programs with a "is this the best you got"? I'm really disappointed with Apple after being a 15 year mac advocate plus owner. Times have changed, technology has to adapt and fuse. In that... greater computing will result. I've owned over six apple computers and this is a shellshock to me. We need to send a message to Apple. Their time for Hardware control is over... NOW FREE LEOPARD OF EFI (Make it Legit to the masses) AND PERMANENTLY CRIPPLE WINDOWS FOREVER!!!!!! Down with Microsoft!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DP,

WOW...congrats on your success!

i'm considering heavily now...buy a another macpro(have 1 already) or buy a skulltrail and follow your trail...

since i'm going to spend quite some bucks on my new machine and cosidering the gamble of hacking,

i need to ask you a few questions:

- how do u find the speed & stabily of your osx-ed skulltrail?

- would i be able to install apple downloadable updates?

- do u find any peripheral not working or running not well? 

- would i be able to install eSATA card like Sonnet?

- would i be able to install a Decklink or Multibridge in this skulltrail hackintosh?

Thanks for your help!!

bory27

• 5 weeks later...

hi again DP,

have 1 more question:

does onboard SPDIF audio works with your skulltrail OSx86?

thanks,

bory27.

BTW, sold your skulltrail yet? why dont u advertise it here to forum users...

also i notice this: when i search 'skulltrail' in forum SEARCH page, your post did not show, infact, it didnt find any result.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Now Ethernet is back... !

So, FYI using the XxX 10.5.5 DVD without ticking any extra kexts at all will make your Skulltrail to a perfect MacPro. Everything working out of the box including SATA USB FIREWIRE ETHERNET. Restart and sleep wont work as usually. I had problem with my ATI HD2600Pro first but it is due to the 10.5.5. Solution ordered another Geforce series card.

• 3 months later...
Now Ethernet is back... !

So, FYI using the XxX 10.5.5 DVD without ticking any extra kexts at all will make your Skulltrail to a perfect MacPro. Everything working out of the box including SATA USB FIREWIRE ETHERNET. Restart and sleep wont work as usually. I had problem with my ATI HD2600Pro first but it is due to the 10.5.5. Solution ordered another Geforce series card.

I am trying the universal 10.5.6 release from XxX tonight. I will let you know how it goes ;)

Stats:

DX5400XS, 2xE5420 CPUs, 8GB Crucial FB-DIMM 800mhz PC-6400 RAM (2x4gb), ATI 4870X2 (asus version), 1000w Corsair PSU, dual pioneer 20x dvdrw, morotola wireless card (gets recognized as airport extreme on friends comp), 1.5TB Seagate hd (installed one of these in my iMac a month ago, works perfectly)

I will let you know how it goes :P

Hi Crobs808,

How did the XxX 10.5.6 install go ?

I have installed and have a small isse with kernel panics when I try switch between two Ethernet Locations. I have a ADSL and a Wireless Internet connection. Somedays i use ADSL and others the Wireless one.

I think the Ethernet driver in XxX is causing thsi issue ? Could you help with a stable driver possiby ?

is see DP also has experienced this Ethernet problem. The Skulltrail uses an Intel® 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

DP would you possibly send us a link to the new ethernet driver please ?

thanxxxx ALL for a great thread , SkullTrail rocks

Vinnie-the-Pooh

I am trying the universal 10.5.6 release from XxX tonight. I will let you know how it goes :(

Stats:

DX5400XS, 2xE5420 CPUs, 8GB Crucial FB-DIMM 800mhz PC-6400 RAM (2x4gb), ATI 4870X2 (asus version), 1000w Corsair PSU, dual pioneer 20x dvdrw, morotola wireless card (gets recognized as airport extreme on friends comp), 1.5TB Seagate hd (installed one of these in my iMac a month ago, works perfectly)

I will let you know how it goes :)

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

I succesfully installed iPC 10.5.6, upgraded with combo 10.5.7 following instrucctions found on google search.

Installed last injector from netkas.org (thanks a lot) and GT200 driver package (info on netkas.org) for my GTX280 and it's working in dvi dual mode perfectly. EVGA driver didn't work for me.

Apple HDA patcher 1.20 didn't work for audio, had to use 1.16 as told here but link was broken. Found it on rapidshare search.

Wacom intuos 3 working

AverTV Volar working

MAudio audiophile192 not working (no drivers)

Marvell RAID esata not working (Motherboard)

Amazing Specs with XBench, very happy with it.

Thanks for the post, it was very helpful with audio problem.

I would love to see Marvell RAID working, any ideas?

Thanks a lot, sorry for my english mistakes if any.

Turbi.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys... I'm sorry that I haven't responded to anyone in a long time. I've been in hiatus juggling a full time job, a band, and a girlfriend. My time has been limited. I haven't really fooled around much with the skulltrail hackintosh lately opting for instead my 8 core mac pro tower I build from parts across the internet. Just need a real mac pro logic board (mother board) and a genuine mac power supply... unless you feel like reverse engineering their power pin layout. Anyway... I'm glad to see everyone working together trying to resolve their issues.

I haven't tried any DSP cards in the Skull but I would safely assume that it will work as long as the manufacturer released drivers for you card... i.e UAD or TC electronics Powercore. I've had nothing but problems with the powercore... forget it.

UAD works like a champ in my mac pro.

If you're interested in music production... drop the 8 core and go with a powerful quad core with a DSP mix card and couple of UADs. You'll save money if you look for the right internet deals. Newegg it.

The ethernet problem??? hmmmm haven't had any problems... runs like a champ for me. I do recall ripping my hair out trying different kexts to make it work. I'll dig through my external for my skulltrail kext folder when I get a chance and I'll post everything I have. In the meantime happy hacking...

• 1 month later...
The ethernet problem??? hmmmm haven't had any problems... runs like a champ for me. I do recall ripping my hair out trying different kexts to make it work. I'll dig through my external for my skulltrail kext folder when I get a chance and I'll post everything I have. In the meantime happy hacking...

Hey, thatnks for the cool writeup.

I realise you are likely busy, but was wondering if you still have the kext file you used to get your eth0 working. Ive got a card running the 82573L same as yours and havnt had any luck yet getting it working.

Or perhaps point me in the proper direction to where you might have found it?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Just a litle upadte, I have SL runing native on my skulltrail.

For Help just post a reply.

see you soon

I just picked up an E5420 for $50, and am now thinking of building a Hack Pro...

Can you run through your SL install with the Skulltrail Mobo? And do you have a geekbench score?

I'm currently running 10.6.1 on an E5200 / Gigabyte ES2L setup @ 3.47ghz Geekbenching 5060. I was going to build an i7, but I got the Xeon for such a good price I'm thinking of going that route.

I can get the Skulltrail Mobo for ~$500, so Complete build with one processor could be had for around $700. Which isn't bad. ;)

But I'd like to confirm the install before getting in over my head.

Thanks!!

Richie

I have successfully installed 10.6 on a Skultrail mobo. I used the flashGX boot cd and installed from a USB stick. The installation went fine but then you have to boot from another HD to be able to remove the IOATAFamily.kext from your 10.6 install otherwise you will get kernel panic.

Geekbench score 13012. Cinebench openGL :6812 8800GT Efi string and Cinebench Multiple CPU: 21134

After using Migration Assistant my programs and hardware were not working good at all, but then I realized that I booted in 64 kernel mode so after seeing the Chamelon GUI, press tab,choose your HD and typ arch=i386 then it will boot in normal 32 bit kernel.

• 5 weeks later...
I have successfully installed 10.6 on a Skultrail mobo. I used the flashGX boot cd and installed from a USB stick. The installation went fine but then you have to boot from another HD to be able to remove the IOATAFamily.kext from your 10.6 install otherwise you will get kernel panic.

Geekbench score 13012. Cinebench openGL :6812 8800GT Efi string and Cinebench Multiple CPU: 21134

After using Migration Assistant my programs and hardware were not working good at all, but then I realized that I booted in 64 kernel mode so after seeing the Chamelon GUI, press tab,choose your HD and typ arch=i386 then it will boot in normal 32 bit kernel.

Does your installation sleep properly? Also, how about shutdown? Mine has sleep issues and does a restart when I tell it to shutdown.

I have a Skulltrail board with Chameleon RC3 and retail install. I'm trying to figure out the right combination of kexts to get sleep/shutdown working.

• 1 month later...

I got SL installed, specs are:

Dual Xeon E5430s overclocked from 2.66 to 3.2 GHz (400 FSB, 1.3V, decent coolers keep em around 55C in normal usage but haven't load tested yet, might have to drop to ~3GHz when all is said and done.)

GTX 280 attached to two monitors (one vertical, one horizontal!)

8GB 667 DDR2 FB-DIMMs

2x300GB VelociRaptors (10k rpm) + 1 TB Caviar Black

5.1 speaker setup attached via the 3 analog outputs

With my install drive attached via an enclosure, I cloned an existing Macbook's Snow Leopard install using SuperDuper, installed Chameleon RC4 (can be tricky, try the RC2 .pkg installer first, which will "fail" but not really, then the manual RC4 install - just the manual RC4 install didn't seem to work for me, but there is probably some way to skip the RC2 installer), made a simple com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extras with GraphicsEnabler=yes and EthernetBuiltIn=yes, added the following kexts into /Extras/Extensions: ahciportinjector, fakesmc, ioahciblockstorageinjector, nullcpupowermanagement, openhaltrestart (might not all be important), installed 64-bit VoodooHDA using kext utils (has to be in /System/Library/Extensions and seem to be permissions issues so use kext utils) for sound. Ethernet was finicky on first boot (might be because of my clone from a macbook with different ports and whatnot), but just go and try to force an IP to be assigned and then it works from then on.

In the process of figuring this out, I tried a buncha stuff. If the remnants of any of those attempts are helping get things working, I have no idea, but I think the above instructions will get you running.

Only thing that isn't working are my DVD drives. They are detected by the BIOS and you can boot from them and everything, but Snow Leopard doesn't see em. I haven't tried anything yet to fix this atm because I have a USB DVD drive that does work, but I probably should at some point - might be a BIOS thing or I dunno. I also haven't tried Sleep but Shutdown and Restart work fine.

Sound I think is a little screwy but I'm kind of an audiophile. I haven't messed with settings too much, but VoodooHDA comes with a prefpane that has settings that you might wanna mess with to get better 5.1. It's not terrible but some highs seem grainy or something subtle like that. Or I'm just crazy. Oh, I haven't tried mic in or digital out or anything.

Feel free to ask any questions about getting it to work or suggest ways I'm doing things wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can you provide further details bout how you installed snow leopard on your skulltrail?

What method did you use

?

Thanks

Hello,

Just a litle upadte, I have SL runing native on my skulltrail.

For Help just post a reply.

see you soon

For those who have succesfully installed snow on the skulltrail:

I can't boot with any other than chameleon 1.0.11 with AHCI selected in the BIOS. I have six sata drives connected to it and other PATA drive+DVD.

If I set the BIOS option to legacy, then I get only 4 sata drives, but it is able to boot any other chameleon, PC EFI on drives or USB keys, any other than 1.0.11 I mean.

I'm wondering which BIOS settings did you use to install snow and how many drives connected to sata ports.

A snow install guide for skulltrail somewhere?? that would rock

thanks a lot

For those who have succesfully installed snow on the skulltrail:

I can't boot with any other than chameleon 1.0.11 with AHCI selected in the BIOS. I have six sata drives connected to it and other PATA drive+DVD.

If I set the BIOS option to legacy, then I get only 4 sata drives, but it is able to boot any other chameleon, PC EFI on drives or USB keys, any other than 1.0.11 I mean.

I'm wondering which BIOS settings did you use to install snow and how many drives connected to sata ports.

A snow install guide for skulltrail somewhere?? that would rock

thanks a lot

Ok I fixed it, removing one NTFS disk that it was connected to port 6 now I can boot with any bootloader under AHCI.

After that I successfuly installed snow leopard and got the kernel panic caused by IOATAFamily.kext

a patch can be found here but haven't try it yet.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609

removing it worked but with no DVD of course. Did anybody found any other fix for this? maybe an extra folder fixer kext?

edit: I've tried and it works!! put that kext in extra folder

thanks!