Dell Inspiron 6400 with Dell Wireless 1505

freddles

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Although this is my first post here I've been frequenting the forums for almost a year learning about OSx86 and trying it out on my PC and laptop. Since the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD and 10.5.2 update my laptop has had almost full compatibility with a few hacks here and there. The one thing that wasn't working was the 3945abg Wireless card. I finally gave up on it and decided to purchase a new card.

I read that the Dell 1500 worked out of the box and recognised as an airport card without the need for modification so I figured I'd try find one, however, I was unable to find one anywhere. Finally I decided on a Dell 1505 as I figured they would be almost identical. Unfortunately I have been unable to get it to work.

I have scoured the forums and the only references I find to it are people asking about its compatibility. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation and help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. The device and vendor IDs were already in the corresponding kext this guide suggests to modify. One person even suggested moving it to the last string in the array but this didn't help. I found on other forums that someone said that the card is no longer a Broadcom chipset but now an Intel one but the documentation with it isn't very helpful. While the user installation diagram is named "Dell™ Wireless Mini-Card and Intel® PRO/Wireless Mini-Card" the stickers that are meant to be replaced under the laptop have entries such as the FDD ID of "QDS-BRCM1022" which leads me to think that it is in fact a Broadcom card.

Lastly I thought, perhaps the problem is that I installed the card after installing the operating system and thus it isn't detecting it properly. While this might be the case I'd rather rule out other options before reinstalling as applying all patches and reinstalling programs etc is tedious.

Hopefully someone can help me out ;)

• 2 weeks later...