4 replies to this topic

Wallbanger

Wallbanger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
EeePC 10.4.11 Guide

The machine used in this guide is an EeePC 2G Surf Installing to an 8GB SDHC card. The Atheros wifi card is not currently working, I’ve replaced mine with a Dell 1490.

1. XxX 10.4.11 was used for this installation.

2. Connect to an external monitor for installation. Some of the dialogs during the OS X install process will not fit on the standard 800 X 480 screen.

3. Boot EeePC from DVD drive with SDHC card you’ll be using inserted into the card reader.

4. Use Disk Utility to Partition your SDHC card as MBR, format as MacOS Extended (no journaling)

5. Select the following options for installation:

a. 10.4.11 Update
b. Kernels & Kexts
i. No-EFI Systems kexs (all)
ii. Recommended patches (all)
iii. Optional Kernels/Patches
1. Dsmos.kext
2. 8.9.1.kernel.sse2.apr01 (this will be replaced later)

c. Graphics Drivers
i. Intel_integrated.Graphics
1. IntelGMA900
2. IntelGMA900_fixer
d. Audio Drivers
i. Azilla.Audio

e. Miscellaneous
i. PowerManagement.bundle

6. After installation is complete, replace the mach_kernel on your SDHC card with the mach_kernel on the installation CD.

7. You’ll also need to use the “paper clip” mod to get OS X to recognize the LCD display and not boot into “headless” mode. Bridge pins 1 and 6 on the VGA connector.

8. As all current models of EeePC are underclocked by default your will have some timing issues. You’ll notice the clock runs at about 1.6 seconds in Mac OS to each real-time second. No fix for this has been found to date. Owners of 4G models may be able to correct this by overclocking to the default 900 MHz on their machines, Unfortunately, I’m unable to test this as I have the 2G model, which can not be overclocked (yet)

9. If you’re using a replacement wifi card, you may also need to edit the NetworkPreferences.plist changing en0 to en1. Search the forum for details if you’re unsure.

10. Have Fun!

Attached Files

wodonwong

wodonwong

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just got the EeePC 900. It should be running native 900FSB.
Quite a nice little but yet useable machine.
Have tried several Tiger distributions installed complete but hung on restart.
Will try the XxX10.4.11 in due course.
Thanks for the guide!

Wallbanger

Wallbanger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
The trick seems to be in the older kernel, that will fix your boot issues after an install. For some reason the newer HPET kernes have issues with the EeePC. I'm curious if you'll have the same FSB without it being under clocked...

YureZzZ

YureZzZ

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Voodoo kernel works fine, but always boots in headless mode, no matter what I do (external monitor, paperclip trick, -x mode)

LiNuX-MaC

LiNuX-MaC

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
what is the best kernel to replace after install, and i cant get my eeepc 702 8g , wifi to work. even thou i already replace my original wifi card with the one i order online which is from an imac mini wifi.
it detect as airport but cannot join a network.

any suggestion? i have also try many distro like ipc, kalyway all the same. cant get the wifi to connect.

thanks the guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy