Kalyway 10.5.1 + update & ASROCK 775i65G *how I got it working*

cottonswab

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Before going into anything I just want to say thanks to everyone that posted their results and solutions to problems they encountered during their install of 10.5.x. This forum is the best and I learned a lot.

So to give back, I just wanted to document how I got my Asrock 775i65G motherboard to work with Kalyway's 10.5.1 DVD and Kalyway's 10.5.2 comboupdate. (Note: I could not get onboard LAN to work but it did work under Tiger all the way up to 10.4.11 originally using Jas 10.4.8 install DVD) Maybe someone has a solution for me but it's not a big deal since I ending up using a cheap Realtek 8139C PCI network card instead.

A little setup information before I begin my install:

- ASROCK 775i65G motherboard (865G chipset / ICH5) with audio/video/lan

- BIOS : version 3.2 (6/5/2007) http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=775I65G&s=

- CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz CPU

- RAM : 2 x 1GB PC3200 generic 400MHz DDR

- HD : Seagate 250GB SATA 7200.10

- LAN : (onboard) Realtek 8101L ** unable to find working driver / (PCI add-in) Generic Realtek 8139C

- VIDEO : (onboard) Intel Extreme Graphics 2 / (AGP add-in) Asus Geforce 6200A 128MB

- AUDIO : (onboard) Cmedia 9761A 5.1CH chipset AC97

- Keyboard and Mouse : Microsoft USB Comfort Curve / Logitech Generic optical USB Mouse (white)

- Monitor : ACER 17" LCD

- Floppy Drive : None

- DVDRW : Pioneer DVR-212D (SATA)

BIOS SETTINGS : (ones to make sure you have disabled or enabled)

* DISABLED : Enhanced Halt State [ RE-ENABLE AFTER 10.5.2 UPDATE ]

* DRAM FREQUENCY : Auto [ IF OVERCLOCKING SET TO DISABLED AND MANUALLY ADJUST ]

* FLEXIBILITY OPTION : Enabled

* CONFIGURE DRAM TIMING BY SPD : Enabled

* INIT GRAPHIC ADAPTER PRIORITY : AGP/PCI

* GRAPHICS APERTURE SIZE : 128MB

* ONBOARD LAN : Disabled

* ONBOARD AC'97 AUDIO : Disabled [ RE-ENABLE AFTER 10.5.2 UPDATE ]

* ONBOARD MC'97 MODEM : Disabled

* SUSPEND TO RAM : Disabled

* ACPI HPET TABLE : Enabled

* ONBOARD IDE OPERATE MODE : Enhanced Mode [ USED ONLY SATA DVD AND HD ]

* PCI LATENCY TIMER : 32

* PCI IDE BUSMASTER : Enabled

* ONBOARD FLOPPY : Disabled

* SERIAL PORT ADDRESS : Disabled

* INFRARED PORT ADDRESS : Disabled

* PARALLEL PORT ADDRESS : Disabled

* USB Controller : Enabled

* USB 2.0 SUPPORT : Enabled

* LEGACY USB SUPPORT : Auto

1. Using Kalaway's OSx 10.5.1 (intel) install DVD, I formatted the hard drive as Journalized

- Installed with Vanilla Kernal (vanilla_acpi_fix and vanilla_kernal)

- No audio, video or lan drivers selected

- The motherboard was not populated with any PCI/AGP cards only onboard video was enabled.

- Bootloaders EFI (GUID) selected

- BIOS : Enhanced Halt State for CPU = Disabled

- BIOS : CPU Execute bit = Disabled

2. Boot with -v -x cpus=1 "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and complete OS X welcome setup wizard

- Note 1: if I didn't enable cpus=1 then I'd get the dreaded continuous reboot after the Darwin load

screen. I'm not sure if P4 HyperThreaded CPU's need this but if you are constantly rebooting

you should add this command line option.

- Note 2 : If I didn't enable "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" I couldn't finish the Apple Welcome screen.

I would get to the point where it asks for the keyboard and country you are in and then it loops

back and asks you to ID your keyboard and region again. I found that the crappy onboard video

was the culprit and going into this so called "safe mode" did the trick and allowed me to complete

the setup and enter into the desktop.

3. Once in the OS, I installed KalawayCombo Update 10.5.2 and rebooted system

4. Installed AGP Video card (ASUS Geforce 6200a 128MB)

Boot with -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

5. installed NVINJECT_gfnvidia_desktop off of Kalaway 10.5.1 DVD Disc and rebooted

6. Video card detected and Hardware / Quartz Extreme working

7. Installed PCGenRTL8139Ethernet package from OS X 10.4.11 install DVD

8. Put in generic Realtek 8139C PCI Network card in PCI slot (NOTE: Realtek 8139D didn't seem to work at least the generic one I used with this chipset was not detected when system was restarted)

9. Rebooted without any command line functions into OS X. Now installed ADI1980AC97 package

10. Rebooted system and enable AC97 on motherboard and restarted

11. Audio now working and now I updated all software updates via Software Update

12. Purchased Mac Aluminum Keyboard (USB) for Added Mac feel and applied Aluminum

Keyboard Firmware 1.0 update (using software update)

My System has been running stable for over 3 weeks overclocked with FSB at 250MHz

and CPU at 2.65GHz. Sleep mode works most of the time, as well as shutting down with no problems. I found that if I had enabled AC97 and did not install the proper driver then the system wouldn't shutdown completely and I'd have to hit the reset button all the time. Eventually I found that using ADI1980AC97 from xxx 10.4.11 install dvd enabled my sound and that did the trick. Finally a complete working system and hope this helps others with the same board can get yours to work as well.

• 8 months later...

Resurecting an old thread here. By any chance were you able to get the volume slider to work? I have a 99.99% functional install, Network, Video, and functioning audio, I just can't get the volume slider to work. I am using identical Hardware (with the exception of network, I got the internal NIC working fine.) and don't want to foul up my install after all the work I put into it. Also have you been able to update to 10.5.6? I am hesitant to do that as well I am running 10.5.4 from the Kalyway install.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Good evening,

Also I have a pentium 4 with the same motherboard and your procedure does not work.

The boot hangs with "flow control disabled" and "Still wait for root device".

I understand that the problem was due SATA hard disk with an IDE but having replaced the problem remains.

Sorry for not correct English, I'm Italian.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Hi

i have tried to do as cottonswab suggests as closely as possible but the machine reboots when it starts darwin: the only few things i have done differently is use the pictured AGP video card (the onboard video on my 775i65g isn't working for some reason?) and am using an IDE hard disk (i have been led to understand using IDE hard disk makes less headaches as opposed to SATA?)

14-125-141-02.JPG

here is a picture of where the machine is just before it reboots:

3358ppk.jpg

please help me get this working, i've been at it for weeks !

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

EUREKA !!!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84869

"tohkernel cpus=1" = FLUXCAPACITORISTHEPOWER (this single syntax GOT IT WORKING *&*$ YEAH !!)

video card is working and recognized - shows me 256mb - i note however some artifact and tearing. sound is working 100% so far.

edit: i have been trying to get my realtek 8139 10/100 nic going - had heaps of dramas trying this trying that.... all i needed to do was grab it from realtek - http://152.104.125.41/downloads/downloadsV...p;GetDown=false (the one titled mac osx 10.2.X - v1.13 - 29kb)

now.. it's...... TO THE TIME MACHINE !!!! ; )

praise to the gods for insanely mac.....