fight the backlight brightness control feature

cele_82

52 posts in this topic

• 5 weeks later...

cele_82 and laurie57,

From your posts I decided to take out the subroutine AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer::hwSetBacklight by applying

a retn (0xC3) opcode. This works on my eeepc901 (945GM), but may not work with other setups of course.

codeye

cele_82 and laurie57,

From your posts I decided to take out the subroutine AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer::hwSetBacklight by applying

a retn (0xC3) opcode. This works on my eeepc901 (945GM), but may not work with other setups of course.

codeye

hi, do u have a copy of that kext so i can try on a 1000h?

cheers

I have a dv6654us with an Intel X3100 and and both brightness control (auto on unplug and fix Fn+F7/F8 keys) and QE/CI work beautifully. I don't use Natit, I replaced it with an EFI string (but it worked before, with Natit). I also get the invalid max firmware setting, though.

FYI, tried the hack mentioned at http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com

"hack AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer executable.

I used HexEdit to open the file and changed address 0x5DEC from 0x55 to 0xC3.

Then use Kext Helper to load."

this was tried on a Asus 1000H and it works a treat, so finally getting gr8 battery life etc.

Bummer... this hack had no effect on my Gateway Laptop with X3100 and GMA 965.

Let me know if there's anything else to try.

FYI, tried the hack mentioned at http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com

"hack AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer executable.

I used HexEdit to open the file and changed address 0x5DEC from 0x55 to 0xC3.

Then use Kext Helper to load."

this was tried on a Asus 1000H and it works a treat, so finally getting gr8 battery life etc.

Thanks a lot,it works for my X60 with GMA950 ;)

No mouse artifacts(which appears if you replace the AIIFB.kext with the 10.4.3 version) and backlight can be controled through fn+Home/End

Thx to the (file-) support of Nicolas I was able to give the patch a quick test - it seems to work flawlessly on my X60T. No artifacts (until now), backlight control works - yeah!

I will do further testing during the next days and post any news.

Thx to Nicolas, oxtobyd and the whole community for making this possible ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It's great that this issue has been addressed to some degree of success with intel GMA owners.

But may i please ask that owners of nvidia 7600go who have this successfully working using a hack of sorts please post how.

Or if there are some great minds out there that could please help out or at least give a basic run through of how nvidia owners code obtain their own pci lcd registers for testing ?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

following the idea from idoc, I patched my GMAX3100FB in order use brightness (for now I can only set the value using Reggie SE or a bash script with setpci, please read what cele_82 wrote, no Fn keys working yet).

Please note that it's for SnowLeopard 10.6.2 and ONLY for 32bit (the 64bit part is not present)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yuyytykzmnw

Hope this can help, I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ19VN.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

following the idea from idoc, I patched my GMAX3100FB in order use brightness (for now I can only set the value using Reggie SE or a bash script with setpci, please read what cele_82 wrote, no Fn keys working yet).

Please note that it's for SnowLeopard 10.6.2 and ONLY for 32bit (the 64bit part is not present)

Enjoy

Could you upload a diff? This works perfect on an HP 6720s, the brightness call is handled by pure ACPI so it works great (you don't get the apple's brightness slide bar, but it's fine).

Our keys Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 do the job.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Enjoy

hello, friend, Can you patch the one for x4500 as well? thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Did anyone have some progress with a little app to adjust brightness?

The setpci command works perfectly for me (Vaio VPC-W), and for now I'm just using automator shortcuts to run the commands to set 10% or 100%. It would be good if there was a little status bar app to tweak the setting (beyond my coding skills sorry).

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Enjoy

Wich card have you?, is x3100 ? wich revision id is rev 0x00003 or 0x0000c please post your specifications.

• 1 year later...
any way to get the brightness controls in OSX working on an HP dv9700? funct* work but when you unplug the power it does not autodim.

nvidia 8400M GS 256MB

Same question for me. I'm working with Lion however. What would be the setpci command to controll the backlight for this Graphics Card?

• 3 months later...

I have brightness and QE/CI working on my x3100 as well. With the slider bar and onscreen brightness icon when changing brightness. Only problem is key mapping. I can only lower the brightness with the keyboard, I can't increase it. I have to go to the display preferences to fix this. I wonder if there is a way to modify the keyboard mapping to fix this.