• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

laurier57

laurier57

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

cele_82, Looks like this is possibly the only hurdle (from your AppleIntelGMAX3100FB output):

loc_668B:
cmp dword ptr [ebx+9Ch], 0A2106Bh
mov edi, 56h ; 'V'
jnz loc_65DE
jmp loc_65E3

with loc_65E3 being where (I think??) our functionality is turned off. The cmp there is probably there for a good reason (??), meaning if we changed that jnz to a jmp on its own and took out the other, we might be ok...or we might break everything! I know almost zero assembler though.

Also, open up IORegistryExplorer (xcode app) and look at:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/VID@2/AppleIntelFrameBuffer/display0/AppleDisplay/IODisplayParameters

and check out the values under 'bklt' :

max: number 0x1ee (32bit)
min: number 0x0
value: number 0x1ee

I'm using a Thinkpad T61 which has a 'normal' and 'high' default brightness setting in the BIOS. I'm currently at 'normal'. I'll reboot into 'high' and see if that max changes.
edit: no change in either brightness or the max # seen.

and, fwiw, when I change register F4 with setpci, the driver does not set them back, but of course nothing happens (however the same command under linux works perfectly);

food for thought!

Could anyone tell me how to reassemble this kext after disassembling and editing it? NASM gives me a ton of errors, probably meaning that the .asm format is wrong (using otool -tV output myself, no IDA here)

laurier57

laurier57

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, so in reading this:

http://www.google.co...8L4BSU7L3lbU-pA

And a bit of the PDF posted at top, it seems that the F4 register only triggers an interrupt---and whether or not this interrupt is handled/seen is set by a mask (the IMR). Under linux it's likely this interrupt is unmasked, but os x is ignoring it, either by a) not handling it, or :) not wanting to hear about it. Check out pages 186, 246 and 236 in that PDF.

These registers (the IMR and IER) are both R/W, but I have no clue how to address them with setpci or Reggie SE. Any ideas? The code in the linux macbook backlight hal code might be a good starting point, but I don't know C well enough at all to think of making that work in OS X (with its offsets).

jodo

jodo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Very interesting findings, laurier57 - knowing the problems is the first step to solving it. So one can stop fiddling around with the F4 register and different framebuffer versions, as the result is clear.

I also have no idea how to address a "unknown" register/o.s. with setpci. I tried that for my fan control but with now luck. But perhaps this will lead to another idea...

cele_82

cele_82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

OK, so in reading this:

http://www.google.co...8L4BSU7L3lbU-pA

And a bit of the PDF posted at top, it seems that the F4 register only triggers an interrupt---and whether or not this interrupt is handled/seen is set by a mask (the IMR). Under linux it's likely this interrupt is unmasked, but os x is ignoring it, either by a) not handling it, or :( not wanting to hear about it. Check out pages 186, 246 and 236 in that PDF.

These registers (the IMR and IER) are both R/W, but I have no clue how to address them with setpci or Reggie SE. Any ideas? The code in the linux macbook backlight hal code might be a good starting point, but I don't know C well enough at all to think of making that work in OS X (with its offsets).

Thank you to make me point to this address also this document is very very interesting...

http://www.intellinu...y_registers.pdf

When I have time I will try something...

KlyX

KlyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Any news yet? Just setted up my 6710b and same issue ;-) Not solved since beginning of this year. It's the online thing I really need before I can use OS X on my hp in productive mode.
Can I do anything to help maybe?

KlyX

dj_spark

dj_spark

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I can live for 4h15 on batteries in XP with low brightness but OSX put me down to 2h15 (brightness and very low cpu speed are missing)

idoc

idoc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
cele_82 and laurie57,
From your posts I decided to take out the subroutine AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer::hwSetBacklight by applying
a retn (0xC3) opcode. This works on my eeepc901 (945GM), but may not work with other setups of course.
codeye

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

cele_82 and laurie57,
From your posts I decided to take out the subroutine AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer::hwSetBacklight by applying
a retn (0xC3) opcode. This works on my eeepc901 (945GM), but may not work with other setups of course.
codeye

hi, do u have a copy of that kext so i can try on a 1000h?

cheers

oxtobyd

oxtobyd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
FYI, tried the hack mentioned at http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com

"hack AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer executable.
I used HexEdit to open the file and changed address 0x5DEC from 0x55 to 0xC3.
Then use Kext Helper to load."

this was tried on a Asus 1000H and it works a treat, so finally getting gr8 battery life etc.

zwaldowski

zwaldowski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a dv6654us with an Intel X3100 and and both brightness control (auto on unplug and fix Fn+F7/F8 keys) and QE/CI work beautifully. I don't use Natit, I replaced it with an EFI string (but it worked before, with Natit). I also get the invalid max firmware setting, though.

jayman30

jayman30

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

this was tried on a Asus 1000H and it works a treat, so finally getting gr8 battery life etc.

Bummer... this hack had no effect on my Gateway Laptop with X3100 and GMA 965.

Let me know if there's anything else to try.

Nicolasl

Nicolasl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks a lot,it works for my X60 with GMA950 ;)
No mouse artifacts(which appears if you replace the AIIFB.kext with the 10.4.3 version) and backlight can be controled through fn+Home/End

jodo

jodo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Very good news :blink: - I will try it instantly with my X60T - thx for the hint, oxtobyd and thx for the feedback Nicolasl! I will report my results soon...

jodo

jodo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thx to the (file-) support of Nicolas I was able to give the patch a quick test - it seems to work flawlessly on my X60T. No artifacts (until now), backlight control works - yeah!

I will do further testing during the next days and post any news.

Thx to Nicolas, oxtobyd and the whole community for making this possible ;)

qzl722

qzl722

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
me too,any one can help us to adjust the brightness??

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It's great that this issue has been addressed to some degree of success with intel GMA owners.

But may i please ask that owners of nvidia 7600go who have this successfully working using a hack of sorts please post how.

Or if there are some great minds out there that could please help out or at least give a basic run through of how nvidia owners code obtain their own pci lcd registers for testing ?

Thanks in advance!

x2PhaNToM

x2PhaNToM

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Any sucess with X3100?

shanokee

shanokee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Any sucess with X3100?

Turbo stated on his website that he has developed a driver. Does anyone have this? I wrote an email to him, if he replies I will quote here.

JackHair

JackHair

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have brightness control working on HP 6720s with X3100 GFX using DSDT patcher.
The DSDT.aml activating it can be found in this topic: http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry972116

Mike

cele_82

cele_82

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I have brightness control working on HP 6720s with X3100 GFX using DSDT patcher.
The DSDT.aml activating it can be found in this topic: http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry972116

Mike

what??? with all the hardware CI/QE? please post how you reach that and also what's DSDT?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy