Vista can run on FAT32

AirmanPika

117 posts in this topic

Howdy.

Im not too keen on Vista, but XP has a recovery console you can install to the local Hard Drive. This will give you a few more tools to play with on the Mactel. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm has a nice guide on how to install the Recovery Console on the Hard Drive.

Also, If you get a chance to recreate the Vista Install, uncheck Automatically Restart on system failure. This will let us see which error your getting before the system reboots.

My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and Uncheck "Automatically Restart".

If you have access to ERD 2005 or something similar, change the following key to perform the same task as above.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl from 1 to 0. Make sure to edit the same key in HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 and ControlSet002.

Hope it helps!

create 2 partions one 8m fat32 and one ntfs and instal vista on normal pc after try to manage fat32 partion with imac that con efi boot it

you found boot portion of vista on the small fat32 partion

in this way you kip thep ntfs intact my be

my be efi emulate a standar bios

BTW, let's try to keep the signal-to-noise ratio low in this thread so that we can keep it clear for those trying to dual boot.

This means that we should leave this thread for those people who are making progress or have legitimate ideas to help. Comments and things that won't help those working on this project should be saved for another thread.

This way, it progresses faster and everyone is happy. :) Thanks.

Keep the ideas and progress coming! Great job, everyone.

airman pika,

Has anyone searched for files created after the install has failed to load correctly? It may be crazy but maybe Vista like XP creates a dump file if it cannot boot. You could use a search on the Windows Fat32 volume for files created the same day you tried to boot off it. If we get some logs to analyze from Windows Vista we can begin to understand why exactly its not loading past the first screen or two.

airman pika,

Has anyone searched for files created after the install has failed to load correctly? It may be crazy but maybe Vista like XP creates a dump file if it cannot boot. You could use a search on the Windows Fat32 volume for files created the same day you tried to boot off it. If we get some logs to analyze from Windows Vista we can begin to understand why exactly its not loading past the first screen or two.

i believe this would be done by toggling the "Enable Boot-Logging" option in the boot menu. However, I believe the data you would get from the boot log would not be all that more enlightening than the information you get when you attempt to boot to safe mode. Nevertheless, it is a good point and we should try out all of these suggestions.

Yes I had the same thought originally BUT I discovered a problem. The system crashed before a specific file needed to do the log dump ever loads (SMSS? I'm fuzzy on what it was right now). So ya no log is ever created unfortunately.

Also I've finally loaded up XP and Vista on my HD again and repartitioned the iMac yet again. I've also syspreped both installs (XP fully including the MassStorage drivers and Vista with its limited sysprep) Here's where I need the most help right now. Editing the BCD file to point at the partitions on the iMac correctly and give me the option to use F8 still. My last attempt I lost the F8 option....it just hung until I pressed F8 again to drop me back to the "Windows did not load correctly last time" screen which only gives me limited safe mode options.

Don't know if anyone's said this - but Vista/Longhorn is unable to boot from FAT volumes anyway - that's been a "feature" since the 4000 builds.

FAT booting support was removed when they started adding WinFS (which required ntfs)

Actually Like I said in the first post you can't INSTALL it to a FAT32 partition but once you install it and then transfer the contents to a FAT32 partition it runs fine. Of course you also loose a few features inherent to NTFS support too like the ability to use WinFS in the future but thats not a big issue right now anyway seeing as WinFS is still years away.

Somewhat related, but instead of installing Vista onto an NTFS and then moving things over a bunch to eventually get it on FAT32, have you tried to just install PartitionMagic after Vista is installed and use it to convert your partition to FAT32? Mind you, the partition needs to be smaller than (I believe) 40GB. That should avoid a bunch of time and copying stuff back and forth.

Somewhat related, but instead of installing Vista onto an NTFS and then moving things over a bunch to eventually get it on FAT32, have you tried to just install PartitionMagic after Vista is installed and use it to convert your partition to FAT32? Mind you, the partition needs to be smaller than (I believe) 40GB. That should avoid a bunch of time and copying stuff back and forth.

Yea that was originally what I wanted to do but vista does something to the NTFS partition that makes in unconvertable...at least my version won't convert it. I even went as far as precreating the partition and trying all 3 versions of NTFS partition magic uses and each time once vista is installed the convert option disappears. I'm using Partitionmagic 8.

Has anyone tried the latest Vista Server (Longhorn Server 5308) to see if it holds any goodies?

I might try it out during the weekend. Of course, you know with all of these, uh, "leaky torrents" floating around, you could try it out yourself Mashugly! :guitar:

Oh and Airman, dumb question but you are using BCDedit.exe to edit BCD, not by hand and notepad right?

Been watching this for awhile and was successful in the "generic install" now have quad booting machine! I currently work for an apple reseller so i have access to "latest and greatest" at any time.. i am currently "obtaining" Vista and will try to dual boot at work. I think we would make some definate head way if we first got an os selector to work. I have been using acronis os selector for my quad boot. believe me it's easier than command line (yes i know command line.. no i don't like it :-} )... anyway, acronis recognizes osx, linux distros, windows XX, Vista and a number of others. I am going to first try to get the acronis to work.. then see if i can prepare the OS's through it.. Any thoughts on this?

Yes I had the same thought originally BUT I discovered a problem. The system crashed before a specific file needed to do the log dump ever loads (SMSS? I'm fuzzy on what it was right now). So ya no log is ever created unfortunately.

Also I've finally loaded up XP and Vista on my HD again and repartitioned the iMac yet again. I've also syspreped both installs (XP fully including the MassStorage drivers and Vista with its limited sysprep) Here's where I need the most help right now. Editing the BCD file to point at the partitions on the iMac correctly and give me the option to use F8 still. My last attempt I lost the F8 option....it just hung until I pressed F8 again to drop me back to the "Windows did not load correctly last time" screen which only gives me limited safe mode options.

Oh and Airman, dumb question but you are using BCDedit.exe to edit BCD, not by hand and notepad right?

I looked at it but to be honest I haven't had much time to play with it. I may have just been tired but I had trouble understanding what its commands did and how to use em. I always hated Command Line stuff :/

Ok, heres a summary of BCDedit info in case you need it (Credit Goes to Computer Guru of ProNetworks)

Edit the Windows Vista Boot Menu Options - BCDEDIT

Introduction

In Windows Vista, the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store contains boot configuration parameters which control how the operating system is started in the Windows Vista and Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" operating systems. These were found in the boot.ini file in previous versions of Microsoft Windows. To edit the Windows Vista Boot Menu Options, the Boot Configuration Data Editor - BCDEDIT is used.

The Bcdedit.exe command-line tool can be used to add, delete and edit entries in the BCD store which contains objects. Each object is identified by a GUID (Globally Unique Identifier). Every drive or partition on the system will have its own GUID and could be {legacy} (to describe a drive or partition on which a pre-Windows Vista operating system), {default} (to describe the drive or partition containing the current default operating system), or {current} (to describe the current drive or partition one is booted to), or for example {c34b751a-ff09-11d9-9e6e-0030482375e7} (to describe another drive or partition on which an operating system has been installed).

Bcdedit.exe is located in the \Windows\System32 directory of the Windows Vista partition and can be accessed only from the Command Prompt which is found on the Windows Vista start menu at Start>All Programs>Accessories

Command-line Help

bcdedit /? Shows all commands one is able to use

bcdedit.exe /? CREATESTORE Shows detailed information for the command CREATESTORE or any other command available in bcdedit as shown when running bcdedit /? followed by the particular command more information is required for.

bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all Shows the current structure of your boot configuration data.

The GUID tags {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} of all Windows installations present on your computer will be displayed.

Create a Backup

It is strongly recommended that one creates a backup of the BCD store before making any changes to it.

bcdedit /export "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Creates a backup to a pre-created folder, in this case “BCD Backup” on drive D:

bcdedit /import "D:\BCD Backup\Bcd Backup" Restores the backup previously created

Making Changes to the Boot Configuration Data

bcdedit /set {legacy} Description “Windows XP Professional SP2” Changes the text description of the “Legacy” OS line in the boot menu. The quotation marks must be included in the command

bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows Vista Build 5270 x86" Changes the text of the boot menu line for the Vista or non-Vista installation one is currently booted to, from the default "Microsoft Windows" or other description to that shown in the quotation marks

bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} description “Windows Vista Build 5270 x64” Changes the text of the boot menu line for any other Vista installation. One must use the GUID for that particular installation as shown when one runs the bcdedit or bcdedit /enum all command

bcdedit /default {current} Sets the current Windows installation one is booted to as the default Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} Sets the referenced Windows OS as the {default} Windows boot OS

bcdedit /default {legacy} Sets the legacy (Windows XP) OS as {default} boot item

bcdedit /displayorder Sets the display order of boot menu items for example:

bcdedit.exe /displayorder {legacy} {current}

bcdedit /timeout 15 Changes the default 30 second time-out of the boot menu to 15 seconds or any other value inserted.

Correcting changes to the Partition/Disk structure

Where a partition or a hard drive has been added or removed and has caused the partition/disk structure to change, this can be corrected by running these commands in the order shown:

X:\>X:\boot\fixntfs.exe -lh -all (Where X: is the drive/partition on which the folder "boot" is to be found)

bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} device partition=X: Changes boot partition of the OS whose GUID is indicated. (Where X: is new drive/partition required). Must be used together with the osdevice command below

bcdedit /set {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2} osdevice partition=X: Changes boot partition of the OS whose GUID is indicated. (Where X: is new drive/partition required). Must be used together with the device command above

Msconfig - System Configuration Utility

The System Configuration Utility (msconfig) is accessible from the Windows Vista start menu, Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Configuration. It has limited funcionality as regards the BCD store however, with the only relevant functionalities being to change the default boot operating system, to delete a boot menu item and to change the timeout display period of the boot menu.

CAUTION: Making incorrect or invalid changes to one's BCD store can result in the system no longer booting and only those comfortable with using command line entries and who understand the inherent risks of making a mistake should do so.

Hello all, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is the first time I post.

I keep seeing you trying to boot XP from a USB drive, but I've tried that on my Dell Inspiron 9300 and and it will not boot either and it gets hung up on the same section.

Doing searches on google about a month ago I could not find a way to boot XP from a USB drive and I seem to remember reading that it was not possible for XP to boot from USB because at first the OS boots using the BIOS USB driver, but then it tries to load the Mass Storage driver and that drops the connection to the hard-drive.

If anyone of you has been able to accomplish booting XP from a USB drive on your standard PC, please let me know how you did it because as far as I know right now it is not possible except for possibly using the Windows PE or Bart PE disks.

l8r)

Hello all, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is the first time I post.

I keep seeing you trying to boot XP from a USB drive, but I've tried that on my Dell Inspiron 9300 and and it will not boot either and it gets hung up on the same section.

Doing searches on google about a month ago I could not find a way to boot XP from a USB drive and I seem to remember reading that it was not possible for XP to boot from USB because at first the OS boots using the BIOS USB driver, but then it tries to load the Mass Storage driver and that drops the connection to the hard-drive.

If anyone of you has been able to accomplish booting XP from a USB drive on your standard PC, please let me know how you did it because as far as I know right now it is not possible except for possibly using the Windows PE or Bart PE disks.

l8r)

It has been true that XP isn't able to boot from USB until very recently when a solution was developed by developers and the community. Information is summarized here: http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...77102101&pgno=1

Well, that really isn't XP, that guide is for PE which currently is tapping the XP kernel.

Mod Note: Too many people confuse WinPE and Win XP. Please google the differences if you aren't aware of them.

USB booting solutions aren't exactly "new", they're just easier to do today due to BIOS' gaining built-in mass storage support. This is something that isn't a concern for EFI, but, Apple's anti-promiscuity mode doesn't help either.

Anyways, booting WinPE on a Mac should be a heck of a lot easier. Not great for a Windows variant, but, you're much better spending time pulling that off than you are trying to get XP to boot...

Well, that really isn't XP, that guide is for PE which currently is tapping the XP kernel.

Mod Note: Too many people confuse WinPE and Win XP. Please google the differences if you aren't aware of them.

USB booting solutions aren't exactly "new", they're just easier to do today due to BIOS' gaining built-in mass storage support. This is something that isn't a concern for EFI, but, Apple's anti-promiscuity mode doesn't help either.

Anyways, booting WinPE on a Mac should be a heck of a lot easier. Not great for a Windows variant, but, you're much better spending time pulling that off than you are trying to get XP to boot...

Ah, I didn't read the article thoroughly. Most of the time it was talking "XP Boot", so i assumed it MEANT booting XP and not XP PE.

Just wondering if you could do this sort of test with a firewire external drive rather than a usb drive. I have macs and noticed big differences trying to boot from usb drives. I don't even think it is possible. But firewire drives work well. Just a thought.

(sorry if this point is a repeat, didn't search forum for this point first)

Found it at http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=displayco...407&entryid=407

perhaps this following little story is interesting:

I´ve just tried to install Vista build 5308 on straight normal HP PC with 3 Ghz. But I didn´t install it onto the internal harddrive. I installed it to extrenal USB-Drive. First there was no problem. Vista was able to install and copied and copied and copied. Then there was the first reboot. And nothing happened for a while until the PC rebooted again. I then started into save mode and what a surprise: It froze just loading crcdisk.sys. So after this expirience I don´t think the Macs are keeping us from installing vista but a buggy vista beta itself.