iatkos dual boot with grub

14 posts in this topic

I've been slaving and reading as much as I can on this, but I'm stuck.

I just want my Iatkos 1.0ir installation to boot without the DVD in the drive. My partitoin is active and all looks good. I went ahead and installed Unbuntu in hopes to get Grub to see the OS X partition, but no luck. I have this set as far as grub goes:

Title OS X

Root (hd0,2) -> it appears to be the second partition on the disk0 hard drive. in Linux it is /dev/sda2 I believe

Chainloader +1

Nothing happens when I load it from grub.

Anyone have any idea how I can get this working? I even tried XP and dual booting with that and using fdisk to make my Mac partiton active.

Thanks,

ZB

I just want my Iatkos 1.0ir installation to boot without the DVD in the drive. My partitoin is active and all looks good. I went ahead and installed Unbuntu in hopes to get Grub to see the OS X partition, but no luck. I have this set as far as grub goes:

Title OS X

Root (hd0,2) -> it appears to be the second partition on the disk0 hard drive. in Linux it is /dev/sda2 I believe

Chainloader +1

Anyone have any idea how I can get this working? I even tried XP and dual booting with that and using fdisk to make my Mac partiton active.

Thanks,

ZB

The easist way is to boot boot_v8 (the pc_efi loader) like a linux kernel from Unbuntu.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

Title OS X

Chainloader +1

Thanks,

ZB

You've just missed out one tiny detail.

Title OS X

Root (hd0,2)

make active

chainloader +1

That should do it...

I did try the grub Menu.list edit like Osx86_noob mentioned with no results. I had installed with the Darwinx86 bootloader btw. I went ahead and tried the boot_efi thing and it works so far. I just need to now know if I can edit it all out.

I know in grub I can shorten the timer down, but I need to make my OSX boot app the default, anyone of you guys know how to do this? Also, when I hit that OS X boot option from grub, I do get the Darwinx86 boot menu, which sucks btw. Anyone know a clean way of doing this?

Thanks guys for all the help. I'm glad to at least be able to have unbuntu and os x on one laptop.

:unsure:

You've just missed out one tiny detail.

Title OS X

Root (hd0,2)

make active

chainloader +1

That should do it...

I don't think so.

That works for Tiger but Iatkos is leopard.

And he already said his partition was active.

yeah right now I'm just trying to get this done as cleanly as possible, I would rather have OSX on its own honestly. I did read the info on that boot_efi app on how to do that. Would I still need to have a bootloader selected with my Leopard install? or have it empty?

yeah right now I'm just trying to get this done as cleanly as possible, I would rather have OSX on its own honestly. I did read the info on that boot_efi app on how to do that. Would I still need to have a bootloader selected with my Leopard install? or have it empty?

For grub it works on any platform as it writes on the 1st mbr. For you to have OSX default you need to clear the mbr first..

If you plan to use on different harddisk its much simpler as you just need to press F8/F11 bios boot option to choose which media to boot.

For you to not have the OSX boot menu you need to edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and set the "Timeout" to "0".

To fix mbr the simplest would be DOS bootdisk -> fdisk /mbr (should clear the mbr).

Since you plan to install on another harddisk the easiest way since you have already installed it on another partition is to boot from the DVD

-> Disk Utility -> Select Harddisk -> Partition/Format -> Restore -> Source (Installed Partition) -> Destination (New Harddisk/Partition)

I normally have 2 partitions on a OSX installation - 1st Install DVD / 2nd OS - for easy and fast reinstallation. But it's all up to you on which method you'd wan't to use. In terms as OpenSource there's no one way to do things as there's a lot of choices/method to use.

Regards

post-13429-1209325066_thumb.png

Just wanted to let you guys know the current status of my issue:

I got it all working properly as I wanted with Unbuntu and OS X Iatkos working! -_- just have Grub's menu hidden with a delay of 3 incase I ever need Unbuntu, set OS X as the default boot item. And now its running perfectly even after updates and so on.

All I would like at most now is to install maybe whatever Power Management.kext Kalyway 10.5.2 is using so I can have the battery monitor working on my laptop.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all the help. I certainly owe you guys as its so hard and rare to get help around here at times.

Thanks again

ZB :D

what I did was loaded itakos on my laptop: compaq c751nr.

I did a 2 partition format, technically a 1 partition format. 1 partition being a mac partition and the rest being free space. I installed iatkos without any bootloaders. Then installed Unbuntu 8.04. Set it to use any continous free space to format and install on.

Once i loaded Unbuntu. The Unbuntu install went ahead and made the grub menu hidden. So Unbuntu basically auto loads itself immediately after 3 seconds to allow you to press Esc to view the grub menu incase you want to load anything else.

In Unbuntu I copied and pasted the Boot_V8 file from the Pc_efi app listed above into the /boot folder in the File system of Unbuntu. Then used terminal with: sudo gedit. Once in Gedit. I opened the /boot/grub/menu.list file and made this entry:

Title OS X

Root (hd0,4)

Kernel /boot/boot_v8

Then set the default boot item to 1 as I mad that entry under the generic Unbuntu listing, making mine number 1 on the list. I then saved and rebooted and watched grub load with the 3 sec delay then load boot_v8 which loaded iatkos perfectly.

Hope that all helps. Sorry for the length. But I rather tell you everything than leave you missing something. Pm me if you need more info.

ZB

In Unbuntu I copied and pasted the Boot_V8 file from the Pc_efi app listed above into the /boot folder in the File system of Unbuntu. Then used terminal with: sudo gedit. Once in Gedit. I opened the /boot/grub/menu.list file and made this entry:

Title OS X

Root (hd0,4)

Kernel /boot/boot_v8

i did exactly the same. i just set the partition properly to (hd0,5) where my /boot partition is located. but if i try to boot there is this error: "Error 15: file not found"

the boot_v8 is in the /boot directory, i've checked it several times.

can somebody help me plz

(using the leo4all 10.5.2 release)

greetz

i did exactly the same. i just set the partition properly to (hd0,5) where my /boot partition is located. but if i try to boot there is this error: "Error 15: file not found"

the boot_v8 is in the /boot directory, i've checked it several times.

can somebody help me plz

(using the leo4all 10.5.2 release)

greetz

Yea, I had the same issue. Get rid of the /boot in front. In other words, set it to

kernel /boot_v8

and see if that works.

For the record I am ecstatic. The iATKOS bootloader install was failing every time, miserably for me! But installing pc_efi manually and using GRUB and it works like a charm. I hope the "try manually installing the bootloader and using grub" gets put somewhere stickied because it would have saved me about 7 hours!