USB Wireless Adapters?

blabus

21 posts in this topic

I'm able to run iATKOS OS X Leopard 10.5.1 on my Lenovo 3000 Y410, and everything works except the Intel 3945ABG built in wireless.

So, I was wondering if anyone could post any USB wireless adapters that work with Leopard.

Thanks for any help.

So do certain wireless adapters only work with certain OS X releases? (for example does the Asus only work with the Kalyway release?)

From my experience, if a wireless adapter works on one release, it should work on all others.

Just make sure you have the proper drivers.

I can also confirm that the Asus wl-167g works fine on iAtkos (Intel) on both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2.

(You have to deal with a clunky Ralink "USB Wireless Utility" to initiate the wireless connections).

From my experience, if a wireless adapter works on one release, it should work on all others.

Just make sure you have the proper drivers.

I can also confirm that the Asus wl-167g works fine on iAtkos (Intel) on both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2.

(You have to deal with a clunky Ralink "USB Wireless Utility" to initiate the wireless connections).

Oh, so how does it work? The Asus comes with Mac compatible software on the disc that you have to install, and you can't manage your wireless networks through the built in utilities in OS X? Like for example would I be able to see my signal strength in the top right corner of the screen on the status bar?

Oh, so how does it work? The Asus comes with Mac compatible software on the disc that you have to install, and you can't manage your wireless networks through the built in utilities in OS X? Like for example would I be able to see my signal strength in the top right corner of the screen on the status bar?

See: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3896&st=260

The drivers that came on the CD didn't work for me, but the one on http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/Home/Support/Macintosh.html did. (RT2500 chipset)

There's no integration into OS X, if that's what you mean. You won't be able to see the signal strength (or anything related to the adapter) in the status bar. You will, however, be able to get detailed information from a software interface.

If you're wondering how the interface looks, see: http://images.google.com/images?q=usbwirelessutility

yeah im looking for a good USB wireless solution... there is a sticky for it that is 24 pages mostly people asking how to fix there own cards.

Would love someone to say, walmart or BB or CC or anyone has such n such wifi card for $25 that works great. I guess i can just go buy a few at walmart and try them. I would want one that works as an airport card. Wish there was a comprehensive list for this?

Got my vaio vgn-nr21z working with a peak usb 2.0 wifi dongle.

Interestingly when i plugged it into one of the 4 usb ports it discovered the device as an ethernet adapter but did not work.

I stuck it in the usb slot next to it and it discovered it as usbethernet and is working with usbwirelessutility/ralink setup assistance.

i don't know why it worked but it did and i've seen a few posts scattered about where people had the same problem with different usb dongles so thought it might help.

I've been up all night trying to get my Dlink DWA-111 work with leo4allv2 only just figured it out i have to unplug it when i start up the computer because of my when my usb soundcard gets reckonised it seems to lock up the wireless adaptor. The signals not great but works with shipping drivers.

Instead of buying a USB wireless key, buy on eBay a dell 1490 wireless card.

This product is recognized natively as an airport card as those card were distributed on the first macbooks.

Cost: 10$

I've received mine in one week ;)

This product is recognized natively as an airport card as those card were distributed on the first macbooks.

I've received mine in one week :P

The only problem with this is that some people have notebook computers that blacklist certain WIFI cards, and if there is an unauthorized card installed, the PC will not boot. I've looked at the list of supported cards for my Lenovo 3000 Y410 and the Dell was not on it.

However, I recently discovered that there are a few WIFI ExpressCards that work natively with OS X. I started looking for one after I received my Asus WL-167G, which I hated. It was the clunkiest and most unreliable adapter I've ever used.

Anyway, now it's back to fighting to get my sound and battery meter to work. You know I think all this OSx86 stuff might help Apple, seeing as in my frustration I'm just about ready to storm out angrily to my Apple store and buy a F$&@! MacBook! :P

I've received mine in one week ;)

I like that i may give this a try anyone know about hte blacklist problem?