Bluetooth keyboard emulator

MrWonderr

6 posts in this topic

Hello.

Ever since I got a Playstation 3, I've been wanting to get a keyboard for it. Being low on money, I don't want to buy a new keyboard JUST for the PS3. Then, I thought that using my macbook as a keyboard would be a cost-efficient idea.

In short, what I want to do is to emulate a bluetooth keyboard on the mac and be able to use my mac as a keyboard on many bluetooth-compatible electronics. I was wondering if anyone knew of an application that does this.

Any input is appreciated,

Steven.

Doesn't exist, Likely wouldn't be possible either. BT devices actually broadcast what they are, and on a pc thats software controlled (because it can be laptop or a desktop).

To make a computer broadcast itself as BT HID KB or Mouse you'd most likely have to rewrite the entire bluetooth stack, find some way to switch modes (if you want to use the bluetooth in a normal way when you arent using the PS3).

You'd also need to write an app of some kind to redirect your KB to the bluetooth output.

All in all you'd be better off paying the $50 for a keyboard

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...3&CatId=142

What your askind may sound simple, but I' not even a programmer and I know its next to impossible.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/xkbdbthid.php

This program emulates a HID device using the linux bluetooth stack.

It's slightly bitrotted - took some poking to get going on my system (ubuntu hardy). I needed to install libbluetooth-dev, libxmp-dev, libopenobex-dev (and perhaps others that I already had installed). You also need to comment out the function sdp_set_add_access_protos, on line 119 of sdp.c - it appears that function is now part of libbluetooth.

I the program runs (pokes some settings related to the bluetooth device, brings up an on screen keyboard) but I haven't been able to get it working as a keyboard for my device (a n800).

Goodluck