Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Released

44 posts in this topic

Yeah, it adds an entry to the Windows bootloader. From that entry it loads GRUB (which is installed within the Ubuntu disk file, not your MBR) to boot Ubuntu.

So it goes from Windows bootloader to Grub?

And does Grub show Windows or OS X in it's list?

I'm just wondering how to conveniently fit OS X in all of this? Is it possible to have Grub load first, which has OS X and Windows but be written to a file and not MBR?

OK, so heres the structure

Windows Boot Manager >> 2 Options (Vista and Ubuntu)
Choose Vista >> Windows bootloader boots Vista
Choose Ubuntu >> Starts up GRUB (contained inside the Ubuntu virtual disk) and starts Ubuntu

So no, you couldn't fit OS X into GRUB most likely because GRUB resides within the virtual Ubuntu disk which itself resides on the Windows partition. You would have to use chain0 on XP, some EasyBCD mods if you are on Vista. And also, Forceman's tip for the fonts worked beautifully

EDIT: Also I wanted to mention, 8.04 comes preinstalled with Compiz window manager, but there is very minimal configuration. You can just go to System >> Preferences >> Appearance >> Visual Effects and choose from 3 levels of effects. But after reading a bit in the Ubuntu manual I found out how to get the full configuration options. Open Snyaptic Package Manager from System >> Administration. Search for 'compiz' and among the results look for a package called "compizconfig-settings-manager". Install the package, now you can go to System >> Preferences >> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and you have 100% control :tomato:

Ubuntu is hard to use.

I apologize but:

:D:D:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::tomato::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

@pcwiz:

I just need the Wubi installer because I'm going to mod the slackware files to match that of the Ubuntu ISO. I have built my own distro once; this shouldn't be hard at all then. :D

Oh I get it :D You're gonna stick the Slackware files in place of the Ubuntu ones on the ISO...but if Wubi looks for some sort of identifier inside the ISO, then you'll have to do something about that too.

Oh I get it :) You're gonna stick the Slackware files in place of the Ubuntu ones on the ISO...but if Wubi looks for some sort of identifier inside the ISO, then you'll have to do something about that too.

Actually, screw that, I'm going to make a Slackware Minimal Repack. Instead of Wubi I'd make a small script and my own graphical implementation of DOSGRUB. :D

I did a clean install of Ubuntu 8.04 with Wubi (as my previous posts say) and sound works fine, but its not near as quality as I get with Windows because Ubuntu doesn't support the ALC889A sound codec on these Gigabyte P35 boards.

I installed Ubuntu using Wubi on a older PC I had lying around (Sisters PC). And all I can say is WOW!. Wubi is like your own VMWare Image. If you don't want it just remove it. It doesn't affect your partitions or anything. Heck if all Linux Distros had this feature no one would mess up their partitions trying Linux.

Anyway just a tip for those lazy people who can't wait for Windows to Shut down and do it the Manual Power button Way. If you did not shut down or restart properly from Vista then when you try and run Ubuntu you will get a Can't read root.disk error and it will give you a shell command line instead of Ubuntu. To solve this you need to restart in to Vista and shut down properly. It only takes 2 extra mins to shut down properly and will save you wondering why you get the Shell instead of the lovely Ubuntu GUI interface :). Also it could save you from Data Corruption :P

Enjoy playing with Wubi. I certainly did!

- Suhail

So much for people saying Ubuntu has no innovation just takes from others, Wubi is what distro devs want the most to get Windows people across. It's ok other distros, you can take Ubuntu's work. :wacko:

I can see Wubi being ported to other distros, but yeah, just another reason for people to switch from Windows --> Linux. As for me, I'm still not comfy with using Linux as my main OS, but when I am looking for some über fun, Linux is the place to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

Only one problem with upgrade for me, ethernet

I finally cracked and updated from Kubuntu Gutsy to Hardy Heron. Very impressed, the only (tiny) flaw I have found is that it has broken my ethernet setup. Never had any problems with it before in Kubuntu, I can use my ethernet, but only after running a sudo dhclient eth0 command in terminal after every boot. knetwork manager just doesnt work, "no active devices" even if i am actually using my ethernet at the time!

before, used a static ip setup, looks like thats going to take some work to set up. Interestingly I can leave the static ip config in place & run the dhclient command, ending up with some wierd hybrid of static & dhcp setup.

That is; I am setup for a static IP but DHCP is associating me with a new ip it has assigned. It works, but ill need to tweak it before im happy with it. (I like things to make sense) :unsure:

update: fixed the ethernet problem. Looks like I had entered the wrong network mask whilst I was trying to get it to work. It works now. Samba works if I use the ip address rather than the samba computer name. not perfect but close