Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Released

44 posts in this topic

You know what's sweet about the Wubi installer? It installs Ubuntu on your partition, but it installs to a hard disk file rather than the whole partition so there are no MBR problems! Gonna install Ubuntu 8.04 with Wubi right now. Then add some Beryl-Compiz :)

You know what's sweet about the Wubi installer? It installs Ubuntu on your partition, but it installs to a hard disk file rather than the whole partition so there are no MBR problems! Gonna install Ubuntu 8.04 with Wubi right now. Then add some Beryl-Compiz :)

really :) that is pretty sweet

so i dont need to worry about doing anything or losing anything if i install it?

Exactly! Just pop in the disc while your in windows, it starts up setup wizard, and install it like you were installing a program onto windows :) It creates a DSK file, thats where Ubuntu will live, and it won't do anything to Windows/your HD and partitions/MBR/bootloader and when you don't want it, you can just go into Windows and uninstall it from control panel like you were uninstalling a program. Genius :) I'm downloading 8.04 right now, installing it tomorrow.

You know what's sweet about the Wubi installer? It installs Ubuntu on your partition, but it installs to a hard disk file rather than the whole partition so there are no MBR problems!

That sounds like an interesting feature. I want to try it as well.

Edit: it didn't work (I couldn't log into Ubuntu) :)

Very VERY interesting feature...I am going to download this and see the news...

@~pcwiz

Despite my lack of interest in Windows,also this:

you can just go into Windows and uninstall it from control panel like you were uninstalling a program

@Alessandro17

Funny that posting this news was left to a well known openSUSE fan

:)

I am not consider myself as Linux noob since I installed since firsts releases (slackware then) followed by a lot of redhat versions, and lost contact with latest distros until last year, I installed Kubuntu 7.10 on several PCs and now I don't know if is better to reinstall all new or make update of packages :)

EDIT:

Also does it worth to try the KDE 4 Remix?

Wubi is fantastic. I had quite the shock when I woke up this morning: a friend of mine who knows little about non-Windows OSs told me he had Ubuntu 8.04 installed. Wubi should help Ubuntu get more into the mainstream.

have always been told to wait 1 month after a new distro is released. So that other people can iron out some of the bugs first.

I did notice that when I recently re-installed Kubuntu Gutsy that my wireless card was active from the first update. It blew my mind as I had just ignored wireless until now, it certainly wasnt working before this week.

If WPA2 on my card becomes possible I could use it without reconfiguring my router for WEP, think it will be long after the new Mini Mac arrives.

OK, I have Wubi Ubuntu installed and it works like a charm. Heres how it goes:

* Put in the Ubuntu 8.04 CD (or mount the ISO) in Windows

* An autorun screen comes up, choose the Install from Windows option (something like that, forgot exact wording)

* Choose installation partition (just install to your Windows partition, all it does is create a folder on the partition with Ubuntu disk files inside, nothing else is modified)

* Choose how much space you want to allocate to Ubuntu (I chose 15GB)

* Enter a username and password for yourself

* Install! The installation took little more than 5 minutes

* Once its done, restart and the Windows Boot Manager will show up and there are 2 options, WIndows and Ubuntu, choose Ubuntu

* It boots into Ubuntu and starts installing the system and configuring. Once thats done reboot and go back into Ubuntu again

* This time you can log in with the username and password you entered when you installed

* Voila, Ubuntu is installed! And if you want to remove it just go into Control Panel in Windows and remove it like you would remove a program :)

P.S. Insanelymac looks absolutely terrible on FF 3b5 on Ubuntu, nearly everything on the page is in a Courier New font.

P.S. Insanelymac looks absolutely terrible on FF 3b5 on Ubuntu, nearly everything on the page is in a Courier New font.

Untick the Preferences--->Content--->Advanced-->Allow pages to choose their own fonts, DejaVu Sans is a nice font to use.

Thanks PCwiz - at the moment I have a triple-boot over two discs Vista and XP on disc 1 and OS X 10.5.2 on disc 2. These three all boot from the Vista bootloader using EasyBCD. I was going to install Ubuntu on the second partition on disc 2 (and grub on the same partition) then just make another entry in EasyBCD. The Wubi thing installing Ubuntu onto the Windows (Vista) partition was confusing me a little. But I guess from what you said it doesn't matter as either way the Vista bootloader will have another entry. The only difference would be the way I uninstall it

This Wubi feature sounds really interesting. But does it work in OS X?

Also it sounds like from what pcwiz has said it uses the Windows bootloaded if you install Wubi through Windows. Does that mean chain0 is needed to get OS X also working?