Webcam support limited by Apple's UVC driver. [PARTIALLY SOLVED]

173 posts in this topic

Okay, so I've got an hp Pavilion dv9700t with the Chicony (0x04f2) "HP Webcam" (0xb023) as shown in System Profiler -- and as with others here, I've been able to get video to display in OS X 10.5.7 with HackTVCarbon 1.2 at 320x240 resolution. It's clear that the camera doesn't support any resolution higher, but it supports all the lower resolutions. So now, the really important questions are: Where do we go from here? Is there any expert out there that knows where the USB webcam driver/bundle/kext is located in Leopard? Does anyone know if it's possible to hard code the resolution of the driver down to 320x240 so that the camera works in other applications?

If we could get the webcam working, that would be really swell... the only thing that wouldn't be working on the 9700t then, would be the fingerprint reader and sleep... two very very minor issues indeed.

Back on the webcam issue... it's very strange to me that macam doesn't work with this camera when the UVC driver for OS X itself works (so long as the resolution is forced of course). How hard would it be to get macam to work with this camera? Maybe that's another angle to work from.

Ideas?

I believe that this is the root cause of so many of the issues with iChat and Photobooth.

It appears that both of these apps attempt to initialize the webcam at a size greater than the max supported size of the webcam. For example, my Acer CrystalEye webcam (vendor 0x064e, device 0xa101) doesn't work with iChat or Photobooth, but works perfectly with a shareware program called "Video Viewer" (http://www.schubert-it.com/videoviewer/). However, it works only when the size of the window is relatively small. When you try to resize the window bigger, it attempts to switch the video resolution of the webcam to a larger format. At that point I get results similar to iChat and Photobooth. In iChat, you can resize the video window, but not small enough (for 320x240). Also, who knows whether resizing the window will do what Video Viewer does and switch the resolution, or keep it at a higher resolution and just scale the video image in software.

I did not need to install ANY 3rd party software, such as iusbcam (or whatever), to make my webcam work. It seems that iChat just isn't very friendly to builtin webcams, or at least any {censored} QVGA capable webcams.

I believe that the solution lies not in installing/removing other kexts (drivers) or 3rd party addons, but if there's a way to customize an Info.plist somewhere that limits the resolution, or otherwise forcing these apps to run at a certain res, that will do it.

Ideally, the built-in webcam driver (IOUSBFamily.kext/Plugins/whatever) would query the webcam as to its max supported resolution, and any incoming resolution change requests would be accepted, even if the resolution is higher than the max (internally, it would just set the res to the max). Then, the image would be scaled to the desired rectangle size in software.

For now, my advice is to use software that doesn't have these limitations, surely there's a better IM program than iChat? :) I hear Trillian Astra has a Mac version coming soon...

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm any updates on this thread??

i know this post is unrelated

but why dont you guys send documentation to macam admin??

hope you get a reply

and where are you 00Diabolic??

anyway my cam (based on ali m5602 chip) does not work with any solution provided above

so any ideas would be appreciated

and this is how it shows up in system profiler. i got no idea why it doesnt work. (tried camtwist and every software out there). cant even see myself in the cam for taking a photo for my account. any idea whats the prob??

post-222598-1245562190_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
I have a chicony camera and idea for possible fix!!!!

HP Webcam:

Version: 6.06

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

Product ID: 0xb023

Serial Number: SN0001

Vendor ID: 0x04f2

The computer I have is a hp dv9850

mine only works in aMSN, and not ichat.

it does not work in system preferences, though my hp tx1285 worked there...

the hptx 1285 had a webcam that did not work with forexample freakshow using the tubgirl 10.4.10 installation

tho - I once started freakshow using my hackint0sh jas 10.4.8 installations hard disk as external - in this hard drives application

folder I started a regged version of freakshow - and woopsadaysie.... I got video there.

conclusion: the frameworks of 10.4.8 and certain kexts and bundles from there could help us out. As this hptx1285 also must be chicony / sonix

I am not sure wether or not leo would crash with this framework from 10.4.8 and kexts - but it could be worth a try.

cheers

aRt

I posted this somewhere else, but it looks like this may help some people here too...

I got my Crystal Eye webcam working today with some fiddling. Works perfectly in Skype. Also works in Photobooth after deleting the VDC.plugin file, and half works with vertical lines in iChat (using iusbcam). Here's what I did:

- Download and install Camtwist

- pick Acer CrystalEye Webcam in Camera (lower right)

- choose PIP (picture in Picture) as the effect. Verify that your cam is working with the Preview under Tools.

- expand the PIP to take up the full size of the window by moving the Scale slider all the way to the right

- set the preferences to use CamTwist for all the apps you need it for

Then to get Camtwist running on bootup

- in System Preferences go to Accounts, Login Items, add CamTwist to open upon login and check "Hide"

It loads unobtrusively at bootup and is ready to use. if anyone knows how to get iChat working better, please share.

BTW for the other Acer user who couldn't get wifi working, just replace the miniPCI wifi with another working one (ie Broadcom 1020). It's easy, I'd never done it before and it was a snap. Cost me $15 on eBay.

Cheers

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Then to get Camtwist running on bootup

- in System Preferences go to Accounts, Login Items, add CamTwist to open upon login and check "Hide"

It loads unobtrusively at bootup and is ready to use. if anyone knows how to get iChat working better, please share.

Most of us are already aware of this method and this has been discussed in the first page of this thread. The problem with this method is that the cam is always on !!

Its a shame that a working driver isn't still available for the webcam to work without using "cam always on" work arounds.

• 2 months later...
By the way, I tried this workaround a while ago and it wouldn't work for me - but I just tried it now, and it does. Still, it's a workaround, and doesn't work with iMovie, iChat, the Accounts panel (where it takes your photo for the user account, etc.

But, it does work in Skype and I would really like if the camera worked natively (always at 320x240 even within Apple apps like the Accounts panel where you cannot select a different default camera)...

Download and install CamTwist 2.0

Launch the Program

In the preferences, force the resolution to 320x240 on the "HP Webcam"

In the box Step 1: Choose a video source, double click "Webcam"

Select nothing else, at least for now (unless you want effects)

Keep the program open, and relaunch Skype (for example)

Instead of choosing "HP Webcam" as the camera (can't, because it is in use by CamTwist) - choose "CamTwist"

Voil�. Webcam works. In Skype, anyway.

Still need to get this webcam working without this workaround, because it doesn't do anything for iMovie, iChat, etc. Any expert assistance would be so very appreciated!

it work's for me!!!!

thanx!!!!! :D

Ok since there is no thread about webcams that are detected but dont work I figured I would share my experience with my cam that is completely detected but does not work in OSX and see if anyone else has the same results.

1st. like many of you with Sonix cams you probably have used the Sonix SN9C201 driver which gives you a webcam monitor app which will show you the picture from the cam but does nothing else. There is also video viewer which does the exact same thing. Google that and try it with your cam.

You can get the sonix webcam monitor from here:

http://agent.liquiddigital.com.au/installation.htm

2nd. During install of 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 but not 10.5.0 I actually can use my cam to take a picture for use as a login pic. Also later under accounts in system preferences. See if your cam works there also.

3rd. If you use adium x you can once again access the same exact app (apple UVC plugin I believe) used above to once again take a picture for use as your aviator in adium x.

ichat, photobooth & other mac apps can not use the cam however they do turn it on and attempt to. All you get though is a green or black screen from them.

So my questions is why do some of these apps work and others dont? Why does OSX system see the cam during account setup and allow you to use it but then refuses to use it with photobooth. The interface of that is exactly the same as photobooth. VERY FRUSTRATING.. I would love to figure this out and get this cam working.

ANYONE else have similar experiences?

this one works right out of the box... no driver to install...

I bought a webcam with built-in microphone: Rocketfish at Future Shop (same as Best Buy in the US..)

check it out: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...test%5Fcookie=1

sorry for the link...

i was able to use "photo Booth"... :wacko:

model: RF-WEB2C

now I got a 100% mac running!

• 2 weeks later...

When I installed Leopard on my Lenovo T400 laptop, the webcam worked. With Snow Leopard, the light comes on indicating it's on, but it doesn't work. What files should I copy from Leopard?

I copied IOUSBFamily.kext from a 10.5.6, but it still doesn't work...what other files?

(also tried the suggestions in this thread without any luck)

• 4 weeks later...
When I installed Leopard on my Lenovo T400 laptop, the webcam worked. With Snow Leopard, the light comes on indicating it's on, but it doesn't work. What files should I copy from Leopard?

I copied IOUSBFamily.kext from a 10.5.6, but it still doesn't work...what other files?

(also tried the suggestions in this thread without any luck)

I have the same problem!! Would really appreciate a solution, or something to try out - I'm a proper newb when it comes to osx86 so don't really know where to start problem solving.

Cheers guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on Acer Aspire One AOD-150 with a Suyin Camellia 1.3 megapixel webcam. I went digging and found this file:

Path: /Extra/GeneralExtensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext/Contents

File: Info.plist

Partial Contents:

<dict>
			<key>VideoSupport</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.apple.driver.USBCameraFirmwareLoader</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleUSBCamera</string>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
					<key>idProduct</key>
					<integer>33536</integer>
					<key>idVendor</key>
					<integer>1452</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>VideoSupportRev120</key>
			<dict>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<key>bcdDevice</key>
					<integer>288</integer>
					<key>idProduct</key>
					<integer>34049</integer>
					<key>idVendor</key>
					<integer>1452</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>VideoSupportRev139</key>
			<dict>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<key>bcdDevice</key>
					<integer>313</integer>
					<key>idProduct</key>
					<integer>34049</integer>
					<key>idVendor</key>
					<integer>1452</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>VideoSupportRev149</key>
			<dict>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<key>bcdDevice</key>
					<integer>329</integer>
					<key>idProduct</key>
					<integer>34049</integer>
					<key>idVendor</key>
					<integer>1452</integer>
			</dict>

So, does anyone believe we can simply add our camera information as a new <dict> element to this file to get things working better?

Hi.

I bought a Logitech Webcam/Quickcam Pro 9000 yesterday and it's fully working (video & integrated mic) on my retail install of Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (Core 2 Duo E8400/Asus P5E/4 GB/500GB) without any drivers or macam.

Tested OK on Photo Booth, Quicktime X and Skype.

• 3 weeks later...

MY CAMERA WORKS WITH MERCURY MESSENGER!!!!!! My camera doesn't work with any apple video enabled app (ichat, photoboot) nor it does with skype. but it works with mercury messenger it is a java based substitute for windows live messenger. Someone who knows about this please look into it and find why it works with mercury messenger. Please

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi i´m having issues like many of people here

I have a Hp pavillion dv4 1150es (spain) and it has a built-in camera called Hp webcam, detected as an usb device:

HP Webcam :

ID del producto: 0x09b8

ID del fabricante: 0x046d (Logitech Inc.)

Versión: 60.51

Velocidad: Hasta 480 Mb/s

ID de la ubicación: 0xfd500000

Corriente disponible (mA): 500

Corriente necesaria (mA): 500

It´s strange but the camera light pops up, it´s "alive" and detected but when i open photobooth or any other apple aplication, or non apple like skype, adium, etc...i have a strong black screen always, but chatroulette´s web give me the perfect image!!!!, and the same way occurs in HackTV carbon

It is nice to see that the Crystal Eye Webcam is working with this modded kext, low frame rate though. What exactly was changed in this kext? Maybe it can be tweaked to work at higher rates.

Btw Camtwist 2.1 works fine in 32 bit mode snow leopard

On my Acer Aspire 5920G, I was able to get the Webcam and sleep working on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 by using the attached IOUSBFamily.kext.

This limits USB transfer rate to 12MB/s, but I think the trade-off is worth it.

^_^ PLEAS HELP MI,CANT GET THIS WEBCAM TO WORK IN LEOPARD

USB2.0 UVC PC Camera:

ID продукта: 0x8a51

ID производителя: 0x174f

Версия: 7.13

Серийный номер: 0001

Скорость: До 480 Мб/с

Производитель: Syntek

ID размещения: 0xfa100000

Действительный ток (мА): 500

Требуемый ток (мА): 500

I See only Black screen

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so here is a weird one, and you guys see if you can figure it out.

I have 10.5.8 installed, and a Ricoh company integrated webcam on a dv9515ca HP Laptop.

Everything really works well of course with the exception of the integrated webcam.

Now the strange thing is, here is I how I can get it to work with absolutely everything no matter what.

I have VMWare Fusion installed and have installed Windows 7 in to a virtual machine. After I start said VM, I connect to the shared camera, then I just disconnect from again after a few seconds, and VOILA!! everything works. I can shut down VM and still everything works. PhotoBooth, MSN, Skype, and ichat.

Until I run the VM, nothing works, after I do that little trick...everything works.

Anyone happen to know why that would be?

Let me know if someone needs more info.

I have the dv7-2170us running os x Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and the webcam specs are as follows:

HP Webcam:

Product ID: 0x0143

Vendor ID: 0x5986

Version: 0.14

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Bison Electronics Inc.

Location ID: 0x3d200000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

I have tried every type of driver camtwist, macam, manycam, even all of the agent versions. My problem is that it will detect the camera and the white lights will turn on but it the screen is completely black. Any ideas? Cuz I'm all out.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing to see this topic still alive and kicking almost 2 yrs since I created it.

I am back on OSX 10.6.2 with a WORKING FAN.. Its the reason I left after 10.5.4 orginally. Constant overheats and no end it sight.. A lot has changed and new EFI and DSDT seems to have really moved things along.

My old VDC.plugin trick no longer works in 10.6.2. For those of you with Chicony/Sonix cams I'll be looking into fixing this somehow. In SL currently I get the same issue as before black screen but cam completely detected.

For ref mine is device ID 04f2 PID B013

VDC may still be the issue but apple has changed it a lot and now photobooth will not even run if you delete it like before in OSX 10.5. Like many have said before its a res detection issue or fps issue.

I think the key to getting cams working is UVC and the VDC.plugin. We need to pull the VDC.plugin apart and look at all the parts of it. I have already ripped out parts under resources and it has not helped. I think its something in that plugin causing the cams to not work when they should.

Ill continue working on this but would apprciate any assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have a sonix built in cam with mic.

The funny part is that, it doesnt seem to work on xp, it doesn seem to work on win7 and! same thing on 10.5.8/7. The notebook orginally came with a home vista, had the cam working. Today i disassembled the notebook just to check the chips codes. I found my cam is a sonix SN9C260AJ which is nowhere to be found i even got a picture of it, the guys on the site dont have it listed its so so funny :rolleyes: i really hate this third companies. Also the funniest is. My lan which didnt worked on osx cause it was a sis191, turned to be a RTL8201CL LOL. So im gonna try some things here and there and checkback if somebody else owns a PACKARD BELL notebook, it would be nice to hear from you about some kexts.