Ethernet adapter is recognized, but status = Cable Unplugged

slugg

17 posts in this topic

10.5.1 KALYWAY dvd

Realtek 8111B ethernet (onboard)

Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G motherboard

My ethernet works perfectly fine in windows and linux, so it's not a defective cable. My ethernet adapter is reported to work "out of the box" with Leopard, but I seem to be having issues. The adapter shows up just fine in the system profiler, but when I go to network settings, the status is reported as "Cable Unplugged" even though it's plugged in. No lights are coming on, either.

I've searched and tried several things, but I couldn't find a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

10.5.1 KALYWAY dvd

My ethernet works perfectly fine in windows and linux, so it's not a defective cable. My ethernet adapter is reported to work "out of the box" with Leopard, but I seem to be having issues.

The "out of the box" reports are for 10.5.2. The 10.5.1 HCL says something about a driver you need from Realtek.

Whooops! There's another report for the 10.5.1 HCL that says it does work right out of the box. The wiki is inconsistent. Good luck!

I have almost the same problem..

I can still use it even it say cable unplug/not connected I'm actually using my internet right now. weird huh!!

But it's giving me hard time to get my IP thru DHCP it requires me to restart/shutdown many times.

Still trying to find out what is wrong!

I also have this problem.. Everything worked fine.. then suddenly after a restart my internet was gone.

My networkcard also works natively (DS3L motherboard)

This problem looks like the same when I first wrongly installed Kalyway 10.5.2 WITH networkcard drivers..

Wich has the same effect: networkcard recognized but no cable etc..

When i installed it without networkdrivers everything worked fine.. until today that is..

So maybe the problem is that there are 'suddenly' networkcarddrivers installed or something?

Maybe we can delete them from the librarys?Althought I don't know what drivers to delete or how to check IF there are new drivers from an update installed..

Try:

sudo ifconfig en0 up

Where en0 is whatever the BSD name is of your ethernet interface. I had this issue when I was first testing my forcedeth driver for Leopard. Very weird and frustrating when you don't know what's going on.

Note: That command isn't a magic bullet or anything. It just will work in the unlikely event that OS X "forgot" to actually enable your ethernet interface.

I think this is the solution for DS3L ( and other motherboards?):

The Mac OS can't "power up" the network card. If it's not powered on, than Mac will say: No cable is plugged in and can't use. But if the lan boot rom is enabled the bios switches it on and everything works fine.

The boot is a bit longer because of the rom, but after than it's surely on.

I got this from : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...9436&st=360

Did it work? : )

No problem! I'm going to try it too when I get home :D

It seems to be Windows who is shutting of the card when shutting down.

This is *another* solution to the problem from the same thread:

If you are a windows user, make sure to enable "Wake on lan after shutdown" in the advanced tab of your network card driver settings dialog (at least for WinXP, no idea if this also applies to Vista)

No problem! I'm going to try it too when I get home :D

If you are a windows user, make sure to enable "Wake on lan after shutdown" in the advanced tab of your network card driver settings dialog (at least for WinXP, no idea if this also applies to Vista)

^^ This solution worked beautifully! Thank you! I'm on Safari right now posting this.

Hopefully someone else will find this thread helpful while searching for answers :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I was wondering if any of you could help me with my issue. I've tried a LOT of other methods to try to get my network going, but after everything I've tried, I still get "cable unplugged" when I check the Network in System Preferences. Can anyone help me out please??

post-235140-1212086640_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
No problem! I'm going to try it too when I get home :(

Thanks, this problem comes up when I get rid of vista and install XP. Vista do not turn of my ethernet.

• 1 year later...
10.5.1 KALYWAY dvd

My ethernet works perfectly fine in windows and linux, so it's not a defective cable. My ethernet adapter is reported to work "out of the box" with Leopard, but I seem to be having issues. The adapter shows up just fine in the system profiler, but when I go to network settings, the status is reported as "Cable Unplugged" even though it's plugged in. No lights are coming on, either.

I've searched and tried several things, but I couldn't find a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I encountered this problem recently while working on a clients brand new IMac and her known good Verizon DSL router and Ethernet cable. I looked through several posts with no luck. Finally I used the IMac assistant and I saw that one one of the choices was to connect through a dedicated Lan connection. No Ids, no passwords and no further problems. After a reboot the Ethernet connection initially comes up disabled (unplugged) but after a few minutes will enable itself and all is right with the world.

Hope this helps.