Firewire GUID 000... is invalid *update & solution*

Guest Snowski

21 posts in this topic

Guest Snowski

FIX: UPDATE BIOS TO LATEST!

FACT: FIREWIRE DEVICES MAKE BOOT SLOWER

Hi all,

Could those with Intel Firewire motherboards (preferably the same mobo as me) please do this test for me.

When you are using S3 (str) sleep mode in BIOS and have the FW port enabled open console in Leopard, then go into sleep and then wake back up, check console logs (all logs) and check for an error msg related to firewire.

I get flooded with the error msg from my topic and if I disable FW it goes away. This is obviously not a solution since I need the FW port so I'm thinking it must be kext related.

Before I go into that I want to know if you guys have the same error.

Thx in advance

Hi Snowski,

I'm having the exact same problem here with my Gigabyte P35-DS4 (Rev. 1.1). I'm using the Netkas 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel and the latest AppleSMBIOS. My sleep setting is S3.

I found a "half fix" for it in another thread (which I can't seem to find anymore) which involved replacing the IOFireWireFamily.kext with an older one from a Tiger install. Doing this got rid of the constant flood of messages, but it broke sleep, which was a major deal breaker. I'll attach the file for you, and you can give it a go and see if it works for you without breaking sleep... Just make sure to back up your original kext!

I also found another thread in which someone suggested that having hard disks or dvd drives connected to SATA ports 4-6 or a HD connected via USB would also trigger the error codes. However, someone else seemed to disagree with that theory, and I haven't been able to try it out yet (not that it would be useful anyway since I need all the ports I can get).

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...68532&st=20

I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the revision number of our boards or possibly the BIOS revision? They seem to be the only real variables that could differentiate between our setups and installs and those of people with fully working systems. I don't know what BIOS revision I'm running, but I might check that out and see if it does anything.

If you manage to get this working, make sure to post back here and let us know how you fixed it!

IOFireWireFamily.kext.zip

UPDATE:

I just finished upgrading my BIOS from v4 to v8 and it seems to have done the job for me. I'll keep an eye on the console logs to make sure, but the early signs are positive.

On the downside however, I think that changing the BIOS may have created a few other bugs with the install (it took forever to boot up, for instance). I'll see if that continues and if it does, I'll try a fresh install with the new BIOS.

Hope this may help you (and anyone else) solve your problems....

Guest Snowski

Hi bro,

I dont think others even realize they have the same issue, even the pro's amongst us. Who, after all, check console after waking up from sleep to see if there are any issues. Hopefully they will pick it up now. I've posted this in other threads too but then I get a robotic reply like "read the guide" which is probably an auto reply script they use (sorry guys but its annoying)

And here you are with only 9 posts helping me out in detail and providing a kext, RESPECT BUD!

I wil try this FW kext. As for SATA ports I am connected to all of them. Vista drive, OSX drive, Audio drive, DVDRW and 2 for e-sata.

Btw, hotplug also does not work for me, I just tried it for my Kalyway install and OSX does not seem recognize an esata drive that has been plugged in. I thought we used AHCI just to get this going, but oh well, can't have it all I guess.

I think I'm on F6 for BIOS so its a bit old but reading your info on bugs I'm going to wait for a flash.

Dont leave this board man cause we need people like you!

Thx and I'll keep you updated here.

UPDATE: It broke my sleep mode too m8 so I'm back to retail kext. Are you using the new BIOS with without the Tiger FW kext?

Guest Snowski

I'm going through that thread but nocited most don't have all their ports recognized. In my case OSX recognizes all of my ports. Even the esata but not when I'm inside Leo, I have to reboot.

So I'm not sure if that kext will do me any good. I dont have AppleVIAATA and I am using retail kexts for AHCI an IOATA.

And AHCI is enabled in bios right?

if so maybe try to add this:

<key>built-in</key>
<string>0x00</string>

to the ICHx u are using in .../AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist

dunno if it will work, but maybe it will force mac to see ur hdd as not built-in, so plugable.

greetz

Snowski,

As far as I can tell there aren't any bugs with upgrading your BIOS version aside from a slow startup the first time after you update. After that it's all good - no Firewire GUID errors at all! Sleep works fine. I do have issues with my shutdown (my computer shuts down, then starts up again - anyone know what the solution is?), but I'm not sure if this has to do with the BIOS upgrade (I've been tinkering around with so many other things that it could be caused by something else I've done). I'm pretty sure you can downgrade your BIOS if things don't work out (but I can't be sure, so check that out before you try).

As for my 9 posts, I'm an infrequent poster, but a longtime reader. Most of the time I tend to find what I need from reading through a bunch of threads, so I don't really see the need to clutter things up with useless posts. As it is, there's WAY too much confusion and misinformation in the threads, so I try not to post unless I know I have something useful to offer.

Oh, and I know what you mean about not many people knowing about this bug. I wouldn't have discovered it if it wasn't for the fact that I was getting massive CPU overloads (i.e. all 4 cores suddenly spiking to 100% usage after about an hour or two of use). I went into console trying to find the cause of it, but couldn't see anything in amongst the sea of Firewire GUID errors! At first I thought the errors were what was causing the overload, but even after replacing the kext and getting rid of the GUID errors, I still seemed to encounter the CPU spike. I think I've managed to resolve the problem, but I'm not too sure how I did it (I've changed kexts, kernels and BIOS countless times - god only knows what combination did the job!)... And to think that a year and a half ago I had no idea what a kext was! I suppose that's the interesting (if somewhat frustrating) thing about OSX86 - every step of it is a learning process...

Guest Snowski

Thx a lot both of you for the help. I will flash my BIOS tomorow and see if it will cure the issue.

After that I'll look into hotplug and wil ltry adding that text.

Ill post and update tomorow lads.

Guest Snowski

Well I'm very happy to inform that updating my BIOS did fix the FW issue!

So thx a lot for your help (and to be the first to tryout) Sparkyboy.

This should be a sticky btw.

Guest Snowski

I've been wondering if S3 mode would drain a lot of power since it only uses the RAM so I found this:

The following figures suppose an effective usage of 11 hours per week (570 hrs per year) and 42 hours of stand-by per week (2184 hrs per year). In many households the computer is on day and night. If you do not change the standard setting of the BIOS, most systems switch to so-called S1-mode, if the user selects stand-by in Windows.

This S1-mode switches off the hard disks and optical drives, but many parts, such as the fan, remain on. Therefore energy consumption is still high, about 78 - 145 Watt.

Stand-by S3 mode is much more economic. It switches off almost all PC components, including the fan. Only the RAM-memory gets power supply in order to keep all data. You can switch to S3-mode in the BIOS, by selecting Power Options, and setting ACPI Suspend Type on S3/STR. It should be possible with any computer of maximum 3 years old. The power consumption of S3-mode is much lower than S1-mode, slightly higher than complete shutdown: between 6-10 Watts against 4-8 Watts.

Only if you unplug the power cable consumption will drop to 0 Watts.

Which means we can use Sleep instead of Shutdown! So what I would like to do is use the Sleep button as the default select button when you press the sleep button on the keyboard, then I only have to click enter to confirm. Any ideas how to accomplish that?

Or I might just link the sleep button to sleep mode but I figure the shutdown dialog will still popup.

But anyway, I'm using sleep from now on since I continue my session at any time, much better the complete shutdown.

Laters

But anyway, I'm using sleep from now on since I continue my session at any time, much better the complete shutdown.

Yeah, I've been doing that for a while now. The only time I ever need to shut down is if the system becomes unstable (rarely) or if I have to update some kexts. It's absolutely fantastic!

Back to the firewire issue, I think I've mucked up my firewire somehow. It shows up in system profiler, but I can't get it to load any drives or communicate with cameras in Final Cut. I'll try reloading the vanilla kexts again and see if that fixes things up. Are you having any issues like that?

UPDATE

Just replaced all the IOFirewire.... kexts and everything is working perfectly. I LOVE THIS SITE!

Guest Snowski

Ah yeah bud, I'm using the vanilla IOFirewireFamily kext and was just going to suggest that. I don't have to tell you I have no issues with the FW port then ;)

I tried it with a Presonus Inspire 1394 which did not work at all with my previous AMD rig (nforce4). All good now, even the onboard audio is doing a good job with Logic 8. This was also not possible with my AMD rig.

Glad you got it worked out too lad, tace care.

At first I thought the errors were what was causing the overload, but even after replacing the kext and getting rid of the GUID errors, I still seemed to encounter the CPU spike. I think I've managed to resolve the problem, but I'm not too sure how I did it (I've changed kexts, kernels and BIOS countless times - god only knows what combination did the job!)... And to think that a year and a half ago I had no idea what a kext was! I suppose that's the interesting (if somewhat frustrating) thing about OSX86 - every step of it is a learning process...

cant agree more! although i have been using mac for almost 5 years now, i knew nothing about how mac system worked. that said, i had spent almost 8 years on windows before and knew in and outs of the system folder and all that registry hacks (and still do). as much as i love mac, i always regretted not knowing the internals of mac work. thanks to my hackintosh project, now i know what a kext is! and a whole lot more than that!

coming to the topic, i have a firewire pci card installed (generic via), and i always used to get some firewire guid error during boot. it would show up in system profiler with speed as 400mbps, but my drives wont mount. the error during boot would cause a long delay. and i fixed that by putting tiger 10.4.9 firewire kext (in 10.5.2), but i have not been able to get firewire card working well. my guess is it is via chipset and apple supports Texas Instruments chipsets in their firewire cards. could you let me know what cards are you using that are fully supported natively?

thnxs.

Guest Snowski

Hi m8,

I'm using the onboard FW which works great. I bought this mobo especialy for the FW ports which are TI. With my AMD board (ASUS A8N SLI) I also had a FW port but it didnt work out that well for audio.

This one was also TI so I cannot comment on the VIA that you are having but I think you should be set with any TI FW add-on card that is avaiable.

I think I've got a TI card lying about somewhere.... If I have the time over the next day or two, I'll pop it in and see if it works. I know it used to work back in the early days of my OSX86 experimentation (i.e 10.4.4), but I took it out when I upgraded my system to a MoBo with onboard FW. I don't know how it will go under Leopard.

Hi m8,I'm using the onboard FW which works great. I bought this mobo especialy for the FW ports which are TI. With my AMD board (ASUS A8N SLI) I also had a FW port but it didnt work out that well for audio.This one was also TI so I cannot comment on the VIA that you are having but I think you should be set with any TI FW add-on card that is avaiable.
Thanks, that confirms for me that I would need a TI chipset based FW card. I found some, but all good ones (with both FW400 and 800) are above 80 dollars.
I think I've got a TI card lying about somewhere.... If I have the time over the next day or two, I'll pop it in and see if it works. I know it used to work back in the early days of my OSX86 experimentation (i.e 10.4.4), but I took it out when I upgraded my system to a MoBo with onboard FW. I don't know how it will go under Leopard.
thnx for taking the time to look that up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snowski

Hi guyz, here's a little update on the FW matter.

I recently started to get slow boots, very slow boots. After checking verbose mode I noticed this was due to USB so I figured I should start testing with just the mouse & keyboard plugged in. Boot was fast again and after adding each USB device the boot was still fast.

However, incidentialy, I unplugged the FW device too adn after plugging that back in the boot slowed down a lot.

Normaly, after it gets the Ethernet adress it boots to the desktop but with a FW device there are a whole bunch of messages following.

The FW device I am using is an audio interface: Presonus Inspire 1394 (bus powered)

Could there be a magic fix for?

Hi guyz, here's a little update on the FW matter.

I recently started to get slow boots, very slow boots. After checking verbose mode I noticed this was due to USB so I figured I should start testing with just the mouse & keyboard plugged in. Boot was fast again and after adding each USB device the boot was still fast.

However, incidentialy, I unplugged the FW device too adn after plugging that back in the boot slowed down a lot.

Normaly, after it gets the Ethernet adress it boots to the desktop but with a FW device there are a whole bunch of messages following.

The FW device I am using is an audio interface: Presonus Inspire 1394 (bus powered)

Could there be a magic fix for?

did it start all of a sudden or you installed a new card. I had a similar problem with slow boot. Realized that if I just take the card off, it boots very fast. And the card was via chipset so it was not even working. So right now, I am waiting to get a TI based card. But yes FW gives a problem. Not sure how to fix it though. if you are familiar with some FW diagnostic kits, then apple does provide FW debuggers. As a novice, I could not make much out of it. :P

EDIT: All right I went ahead and bought a new Firewire card from a local store (SWS) for 40 bucks. It is SIIG branded and has TI chipset. This one explicitly states it is supported on Mac OS X. It has two FW800, 1 FW400 and 5 USB ports (three main + two through front attachments). And everything works now. My video camera gets picked over FW800. FW 400 works and the system profiler reports everything. Here is the link to newegg for the card info (it sells at higher price though).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815150092

Only one issue: I used the recent IOFirewireFamily.kext (leopard one) and I get that Firewire non-secure mode stuff during boot. I remember putting 10.4.0 solves that issue. But does it affect with any performance, stability or anything if I use the older kext?

• 11 months later...
Well I'm very happy to inform that updating my BIOS did fix the FW issue!

So thx a lot for your help (and to be the first to tryout) Sparkyboy.

This should be a sticky btw.

Just wanted to let you all know, that upgrading the firmware on my board: Gigabyte GA-G33M_DS2R cured the above error message on my machine. Latest firmware for that board is F8j, which is a Beta, but thoughtI´ll give it a shot. So far everythings running smoothly. Thanks for the thread !