Building an install Disk

Viscaria

1 post in this topic

I am working on building my own 10.4.5 install disk (the first test version is installing on another computer as I type this). It is a 10.4.3 install disk patched with JaS's patch (just to simplify things) and the Packages directory from 10.4.4 added at the root level.

I found that merely adding applications to /Applications/Utilities on the boot disk does not add them to the menu, but any app can be run from the terminal by just executing the binary contained in it's app package. Thus, I can run Installer.app and open packages of my choosing with it. So far, so good...

Now, I just need to find out what I can strip out. I pitched the 10.4.3 printer driver installers which coused no issue. Next I'm going to try trashing the whole 10.4.3 pkg set and see if it still boots. I am unsure as to what computer is doing when it says "Preparing installation" (right after dropping into the GUI) and whether it is touching any of the install packages at this point (although this seems doubtful).

I am considering putting a stripped 10.4.4 dmg on the install disk rather than just the package folder. It seems to have installed fine, but Maxxuss warned that the 10.4.4 install disc is needed to install the base system. What is this needed for if all of the install packages are present?