Dual 8800GTS 512MB (G92)

AbetheGeek

11 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that, as a new member of the OSX86 scene, that I really appreciate all the effort everyone has put into this scene. Also, please excuse me if the answer to my problem is obvious, but I sincerely have been searching and tinkering for days without finding a solution.

The problem;

After much research, I have been able to write an EFI string for ONE of my 8800s. This works perfectly. QE/CI work flawlessly (as far as I can tell). As soon as I put the second card in, I am no longer able to boot. The boot process gets to right where the GUI should show up, but nothing happens and the screen stays blank. I think the whole system hangs, because my keyboard becomes unresponsive. To attempt and remedy this solution, I created EFI stings for both my cards (Please see attached in.plist, out.hex and regdump.txt). This did not solve the problem. To be able to boot into Leopard, I booted in single user mode and removed NVDAResman.kext. After checking system profiler, I can see that BOTH my cards show in system profiler, but I am unable to change resolution and my NVRam shows as 32mb. I suspect this is because I deleted the NVDAResman.kext. Also note, that I have modified the plist for NVDAResman.kext, Geforce.kext, NVDAN50Hal.kext for my device ID of 0x60010de.

Edit: BTW I am not looking for SLI to work. Only dual video cards.

So the summary is:

boot with one card; everything is fine.

boot with two cards is only possible after deleting the NVDAResman.kext

Any Help is GREATLY appreciated.

P.S: If I did something stupid or missed something I'm sorry. I really have been searching quite a bit, but simply cannot find a solution. I am at the point where I am about to quit.

plist.zip

Let me start off by saying that, as a new member of the OSX86 scene, that I really appreciate all the effort everyone has put into this scene. Also, please excuse me if the answer to my problem is obvious, but I sincerely have been searching and tinkering for days without finding a solution.

The problem;

After much research, I have been able to write an EFI string for ONE of my 8800s. This works perfectly. QE/CI work flawlessly (as far as I can tell). As soon as I put the second card in, I am no longer able to boot. The boot process gets to right where the GUI should show up, but nothing happens and the screen stays blank. I think the whole system hangs, because my keyboard becomes unresponsive. To attempt and remedy this solution, I created EFI stings for both my cards (Please see attached in.plist, out.hex and regdump.txt). This did not solve the problem. To be able to boot into Leopard, I booted in single user mode and removed NVDAResman.kext. After checking system profiler, I can see that BOTH my cards show in system profiler, but I am unable to change resolution and my NVRam shows as 32mb. I suspect this is because I deleted the NVDAResman.kext. Also note, that I have modified the plist for NVDAResman.kext, Geforce.kext, NVDAN50Hal.kext for my device ID of 0x60010de.

Edit: BTW I am not looking for SLI to work. Only dual video cards.

So the summary is:

boot with one card; everything is fine.

boot with two cards is only possible after deleting the NVDAResman.kext

Any Help is GREATLY appreciated.

P.S: If I did something stupid or missed something I'm sorry. I really have been searching quite a bit, but simply cannot find a solution. I am at the point where I am about to quit.

Well I want to get this going too and have not managed yet. One thing you omitted from your input file was the VRAM,totalsize, so I have fixed this to 512 mb to tell the system that you have 2 512 mb cards. Let me know if this makes any difference. Also your device id should 0611 not 6001 as you say.

in.plist.zip

Thanks for the reply Aqua. I used the plist you modified. One of my cards does show 512MB, but the other card, although it shows up in system profiler, doesn't show any vram amount. I almost think it's not being detected as a monitor. The same problem still occurs though:

No NVDAResman.kext I can load Leo, but of course no resolution support. 2 cards in system profiler 1 card shows 512MB. I think the other is being detected as display, not sure though.

With NVDAResman.kext Kernel Panic right before GUI loads.

Also, I do believe my device ID is 0x0600 (8800GTS not 8800GT). I verified this in my system and on other forums.

Last, I am just looking for booting with dual cards, it doesn't necessarily have to be with EFI strings, but I have tried every NVInject dual card kext to no avail.

Does having the SLI bridge attached make a difference?

Thanks again.

I am not exactly sure if having an SLi bridge attached would make a difference but if you are testing with the bridge in place then it would certainly be worth trying without it as well.

I had some slight success with NVInject 09 where I got a 8800 GT and 9800 GTX to show up correctly in system profiler perfectly, but no core image or Quartz Extreme for some reason. Niether cards are included in that version of nvinject so I had to add them in manually with their device id's. Might be worth trying that version.

Strange about your device id's all the 8800 GT's I have come across have been 0611's.

I am not exactly sure if having an SLi bridge attached would make a difference but if you are testing with the bridge in place then it would certainly be worth trying without it as well.

I had some slight success with NVInject 09 where I got a 8800 GT and 9800 GTX to show up correctly in system profiler perfectly, but no core image or Quartz Extreme for some reason. Niether cards are included in that version of nvinject so I had to add them in manually with their device id's. Might be worth trying that version.

Strange about your device id's all the 8800 GT's I have come across have been 0611's.

Interesting Aqua that 0.9 worked for you. I had no luck at all. Can you link or tell me what 0.9 you used? I'm sure it's the one that says dual card support but I want to make sure. If that's the one I'll give it another try.

The device ID for 8800GT is 0611. However, my cards are the GTS (slightly faster) cards, so it's 0600.

Also, I could have sworn that I read somewhere on this forum, that the 10.5.2 kexts had the new g92 Id's already in them, but my standard unmodified NVDAResman.kext does no include my ID or any other G92 card. I am not sure about Geforce.kext. Is this simply a mistake on my part?

I used the 09 version of NVInject that is available from the site, the one that says dual card support, but as I say, I actually had to open up NVInject (not info.plist) and add my card and device id. Yours may be in there, I am on my powerbook at the moment so I cannot check. If it is not, you can overwrite another cards description and device id (the dev id comes just before the cards description-not after). I could have sworn you had a GT and not GTS - I must be going blind - sorry about that.

How much memory is on your cards, is it 512? If you look at my 9800 GTX post on this forum (currently on page 2) you might want to download the drivers (from 10.5.3 beta) which should work better with your card anyway. Don't forget to download the repair permissions script too.

Let me know how that goes.

I am at work right now, but I'll try this when I get home. How can I edit NVInject? Textedit?

If this doesn't work, I am going to try the new beta kexts.

In the long run I'm sure someone will get this to work, but I want to help as much as I can. :D:blink:

Still a no go.

With NVInject .9 and 10.5.2 kexts: Hangs at same place

with NVINject .9 and 10.5.3 kexs (Unedited): Hangs at same place.

EFI stings with 10.5.3 Kexts (edited and unedited): hangs at same place.

One breakthrough though is that with NVInject and new kexts Both cards show 512MB NVram. One cards only shows QE status though. Also during boot it it shows that it's loading two graphics card. The only error it show is "matching display family fails" and "Starting Display one failed".

Another thing I'm curious about is why does it say

NVDANHal30.kext Loaded and registered.

NVDANHal50.kext Loaded and registered.

I thought 50Hal.kext was the only kext for 8 series cards?

Thanks Aqua, but it looks like I'm just going to have to wait for some sort of breakthrough. What do you think? How about everyone else?

P.S: As always deleting NVDAResman.kext allows me to boot.