OpenSuSE 11.0 Beta 1

Alessandro17

32 posts in this topic

Not officially released yet, but you can get it from here:

ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/opensu...11.0-Beta1/iso/

Major edit: I found the official openSUSE announcement:

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/04/18/announ...use-110-beta-1/

I am amazed how many people are downloading the i386 DVD torrent, and this is only the first beta :P

I expect this release to really kick a$$es ;)

Edit: I have updated my install to 11.0 Beta1plus.

It is incredibly stable already. The sheer beauty of this OS is amazing me.

OpenSUSE 11.0 is going to be the most beautiful operating system you have ever seen in your life.

there are certain thing in opensuse that I would love to see improved. The package manager amoung them

Me too, to be quite honest. Having to use 2 package managers (YaST and Smart) is not ideal. Also because Smart is fast but not very good at solving conflicts. YaST is better from that point of view, but it is slow in 10.3.

Not officially released yet, but you can get it from here:

ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/opensu...11.0-Beta1/iso/

Major edit: I found the official openSUSE announcement:

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/04/18/announ...use-110-beta-1/

I am amazed how many people are downloading the i386 DVD torrent, and this is only the first beta :P

I expect this release to really kick a$es :P

It's beautiful. Just beautiful. Since Slackware hasn't come up with a new release in more than a year, Alessandro, you won my trust with this distro. I will install it.

So I installed it. I am really amazed. I hadn't seen something like this since the first time I successfully installed OS X.

The installer is stunning beautiful and blazing fast. I selected 2.9GB software and it took 20 minutes.

Configuration was done fully automated and hidden from the user. The package manager is now faaaast!

Issues I had: I had to configure my DSL manually. This is obvious.

The screen was fine, at maximum resolution. However I prefer a lower one.

I couldn't configure YaST Online Update. However I am updating with Smart.

Sound also needed to be configured with alsaconf: not a biggie.

All in all, openSUSE 11 is going to be one of the best operating system ever. I'll only take seriously people telling me that they prefer Leopard. Everything else can't just compete :D

P.S. Also the system overall feels a lot snappier.

Installed it on a VM and I can say that it is the snappiest thing that I ever installed or ran in it. It has an unbeatable combination of speed and stability! Great job SuSE Devs!

Typing this from it! For the first time, it was able to detect my monitor res. correctly out of the box. However, no 3D, no desktop effects, and the binary ATI driver installer crashes out, as usual. Something about not being able to compile a kernel something or another. Why does this card hate Linux? :(

Other than that, great job! I love the inclusion of FF3, all my hardware besides the graphics works out of the box, and I really like their KDE4 theme. It works very nicely! :)

On a side note, anyone know how to make the Win key on my keyboard open the "start menu" (or whatever SUSE calls that thing in the lower-left)?

Typing this from it! For the first time, it was able to detect my monitor res. correctly out of the box. However, no 3D, no desktop effects, and the binary ATI driver installer crashes out, as usual. Something about not being able to compile a kernel something or another. Why does this card hate Linux? :(

Well, let's not forget that we are 2 months away from the final release.

I can't install Nvidia from YaST either, I should install it manually: too much fuss considering that you can expect a lot of kernel updates.

Looking forward to it. I realy hope it will be neater than 10.3.

The kde4 version seems nice, especially that they've revamped the theme.

I'll only be dowloading the final verison though.

It may sound silly, but I don't want to 'spoil' the experience. :(

The kde4 version seems nice, especially that they've revamped the theme.

Yes, it is a lot better now, and with a lot fewer bugs. After seeing it, I am removing KDE4 from 10.3.

I'll only be dowloading the final verison though.

It may sound silly, but I don't want to 'spoil' the experience. ;)

I don't blame you. I can understand why some people want to wait for the final. Beta 1 has some bugs, albeit remarkably few for a beta 1.

Anyone know how to install some decent fonts on this thing? The font it renders this website in is just terrible.

Copy the fonts to the font folder either in an etc or media directory. Then setup your browser properly.