ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 now WORKS CI/QE !

newentry79

248 posts in this topic

Hi all,

my girlfriend has a laptop Sony Vaio VGN-CR11Z with a Ati Mobility Radeon X2300 (Device ID: 0x718a); after the last graphic update, following this guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=69345 (thank to MacMan2007) and now I've CI and QE enabled ;)

Those are my steps:

- installed Iatkos 1.0r2

- updated with 10.5.2 (thanks to netkas.org's instructions)

- graphic update (from Software Update).

- edit /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

- replace the existing 0x71871002 with 0x718A1002

- with the program 0xED edit file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000

- Find: 8771 | Replace: 8A71 | Search Type: Hex, then hit Replace All. (should replace 2 incidences)

- Reboot with flag -f

and now IT WORKS!!!!!!! (For a more detailed instructions follow MacMan2007 guide ...)

post-119987-1203160267_thumb.png

However, you cannot change resolution from System Preferences,

post-119987-1203160689_thumb.png

but you must add those lines to your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x800x32"</string>

I've also some mouse tearing, but now I can watch my dvd ... :D

Hi newentry79,

I have an Asus A8JR laptop with Ati Mobility Radeon X2300 (Device ID: 0x718a) as well, but my OS was 10.5.

I Updated my OS to 10.5.2 and then did a graphic update (48mb download).

I edited the file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and replaced the existing 0x71871002 with 0x718A1002

Downloaded 0xED and edited the file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX1000 replaced all entries from 8771 to 8A71

Edited file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and added this lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"1280x800x32"</string>

But my system still boot in 1024x768x32 resolution. I double checked all files above to make sure they were saved, but I can't get 1280x800x32 resolution. Interesting is that after I updated my OS to 10.5.2 and did graphics update i can play DVD now, but would be much nicer to have bigger resolution. Do have any idea what is wrong? Tks

Do have any idea what is wrong? Tks

Did you ever try to type "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" at the Darwin bootloader?

Do you have in /System/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, the following lines ???

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

Hi newentry79,

Before I only had this entry:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

but i added like you said:

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

And still the same, even if I try to type "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" at the Darwin bootloader

Have a look my System Profiler:

Tks

post-159192-1203508429_thumb.jpg

Here i made a kext for you, there are 2 methods to install it:

1) Install it with Kext Helper

2) Open the console, type this and reboot!

#sudo -s

#rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/ATIX1000.kext

#cp -R /path/to/your/kext/ATIX1000.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ATIX1000.kext

#rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

REMEMBER THAT THIS IS ONLY FOR QE/CI ENABLED, AND IT FUNCTION WITH Kalyway, Zephyroth OR iATKOS, it has some graphics glitches and it have to be perfect, but it's best than software mode :)

Personally i didn't get the 1280x800 resolution after adding strings to com.apple.Boot.plist, so YOU WILL GET ONLY AN 1024x768!

Enjoy and feel free to help if you can!

Download it!

Thanks to newentry79 for the method :o

i have the Asus A8Jr and i was running iATKOS v1.0i together with Vista Home Premium. When installed it worked fine, no audio and wireless but that are common problems. Also, the upgrade to 10.5.2 with the Kalyway ComboUpdate, and worked fine too.

But then, with the kext file installer i installed the .kext, and restarted. It loads normally, with the grey screen with the apple, and then it stoppes. The mouse doesn't move, the loader (tiny little circle that spins) stops, and it won't go any further.

Soo, this is gonna be the second time i have to re-install, or can i repair this in a safe-mode or something???

There are not so many ppl with a x2300.. ;)

Hi sinnsyk,

GTOnizuka wrote a message to download this Natit.kext and help igyo that has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, but he forgot to mention that this file is not for our card (X2300).

I believe you can go in safe mode with write permission and then replace these replaced files with the original you had:

Type -s in the boot menu

and to get write permissions type fsck -fy

I have a SONY CR23/B with ATI Mobile X2300, I'm try to do open CI/QE. UP to 1280x800 it's working. very happy!

But display color is not good & mouse tearing.

I think is display card X2300 mabey not full worked.

we need real driver for ATI X2300, not X1000--->X2300!

GTOnizuka wrote a message to download this Natit.kext and help igyo that has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, but he forgot to mention that this file is not for our card (X2300).

Natit is for igyo, mine kext is for X2300. ;)

i have the Asus A8Jr and i was running iATKOS v1.0i together with Vista Home Premium. When installed it worked fine, no audio and wireless but that are common problems. Also, the upgrade to 10.5.2 with the Kalyway ComboUpdate, and worked fine too.

But then, with the kext file installer i installed the .kext, and restarted. It loads normally, with the grey screen with the apple, and then it stoppes. The mouse doesn't move, the loader (tiny little circle that spins) stops, and it won't go any further.

Try waiting some minutes before restart, into mine takes about 5 min to boot up with QE/CI. And if not, try booting with -v and tell us last 3 messagges ;)

we need real driver for ATI X2300, not X1000--->X2300!

I think that patching X2000 kext is going to resolve the problem, but for now i'm busy with school, when i'll be free i'll retry patching some kext and get 1280x800 working with all X2300 models ;)

Your're right but, have you ever tryied it?

yes, I tryied, but kernel panic... ;) If you look the IDs in info.plist of ATIX1000.kext, are similar to 0x71xx, like x2300.. But in info.plist of atix2000.kext are very different ( if I remember well, like 0x21xx ...)

But I'm a noob in osx86 world.. If someone want to try ...

Hi newentry79,

I saw another person got 1280x800 resolution. "For sure you are in the right way dealing with the ATIX1000.kext due compatibility between X1450 and the X2300".

I noticed that your X2300 shows VRAM (Total): 64MB while mine shows VRAM (Total): 128MB. Do you think because they are the same cards but they have different memory chip I'm and others are have problems to go to 1280x800?

Do you mind to post here all your files that are concern to this X2300 configuration/resolution?

Regards,

brzdidi

At me the image is transferred automatically to the external monitor as though does not see the internal LCD panel: (Can you know as to change a priority of displays. To the main things to put internal.

Did it enable CI/QE functions by hardware ?

Besides this new Natit.kext have you installed ATY.Lamna in your PlugIns of ATINDRV.kext ?

Could you check it for me ? Thanks.

I am using ATI Mobility HD2600 (512Mb) in Asus F8Sa laptop.

In effect, brzdidi is right. I suppose as the beginning when i made the kext that our chipsets were different. So i tryied running a little app that tell me anything about my graphic card(you can also try it if you're running windows), and with a little surprize i got that i hadn't had M64 chipset but M54, so similar to X1400, not X1450 as all tell.

So get it and post your results, as i'm going to be., to verify better this :thumbsup_anim:

DOWNLOAD IT

My results:

t_GPUm_19555c5.jpg