Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet

575 posts in this topic

I'm using this thread for X61/X61 Tablet owners to get together and help each other figure out how to get this thing working as a hackintosh. I will continue to edit this head posting as we come across new ideas. Many of these instructions will work for T61 and R61 users.

This is being posted from a working installation of -- now -- Mac OS X 10.6.0. I freakin love this machine.

Updates

2009-08-28 - Added 10.6.0 Installation Instructions

2009-08-23 - Added 64 bit TabletEnabler

2009-07-14 - Working brightness control, wording changes under Graphics, Audio, and Ethernet

2009-06-13 - WACF008 Tablet Support

2009-05-09 - New TabletEnabler

2009-05-02 - Reorganization, addition of new information

2009-02-22 - Added local copies of the audio drivers and ethernet driver.

2008-12-16 - Added source code

2008-12-14 - Cleanup, added new information about battery, ethernet

2008-07-02 - Added new information for Sound support, tablet keys, sleep-on-lid, additional info on installation and bluetooth.

2008-04-06 - Additional information about BIOS settings and Tablets

2008-03-20 - Added updated tablet support

TOC:

- 10.6 Installation

---

--- 10.5 ---

---

- Graphics

- LCD Brightness

- Audio

- Ethernet

- Wireless

- Battery Meter

- PC Card/Cardbus

- Memory Card Reader

- Tablet

- Modem

- Sleep/Wake

- Speedstep

- Other

- Initial Installation

10.6 Installation

THIS IS UNFINISHED. I went start to finish, but I have not scanned for errors or omissions, and likely missed something. I ran out of time, sorry, I'll update soon!

This is now the new hotness, and I successfully got 10.6 installed on my X61 tablet. Note that this is likely going to get significantly easier over time, and I probably did this the hardest way possible. This is just how I was finally able to get it to work. Those of you with better installation howtos are welcome to submit them, and I'll top post them here with credit to you. All of the items below are tailored to 10.5, and are likely still relevant in our new 10.6 world.

--- You will need: ---

- A ThinkPad UltraBase or a USB CD-ROM, or a custom USB boot stick

- A vanilla 10.6.0/10A432 installation disk

- Chameleon 2.0 RC1 for booting SL

- PS/2 Kexts for using your keyboard/mouse

- Netkas' dsmos.kext for 10A432/10.6.0

- VoodooHDA

- VoodooBattery (AppleACPIBatteryManager isn't as useful here)

- boot.gz, smbios.plist.gz below

- TabletEnabler and Intel82566M below

- An empty partition to install on to. You can attempt an upgrade, but that never seems to go well on the hackintosh.

I did this install with a working Snow Leopard installation. There are how-tos out there for making a working boot CD, however, mine would keep kernel panicing instead of actually installing. You may want to wait for a disc, or you can attempt to install using a working Leopard install or a Leopard boot CD. With a booted OS, and your ThinkPad's destination partition mounted however you happen to work it out -- I did it over a USB->SATA connection, open up /Volumes/[installation volume name]/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg . If you have a Finder, open it that way. Otherwise, head into a Terminal, and type /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer /Volumes/[installation volume name]/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg .

Once in the installer, select the options you want to use. You probably don't need the extra languages, you probably do want Rosetta. It's your call. Hit install. Don't reboot.

Enter a terminal, and copy all of those kexts into your new partition's /System/Library/Extensions directory. Make sure to chmod -R 755 and chown -R 0:0 them. If you're installing VoodooHDA, you have to remove AppleHDA.kext. On the tablet, you'll need to edit the serial driver again, so vi the new partition's /System/Library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist and replace PNP0501 with WACF004 or WACF008. You can also use the plist below. You no longer should have to edit IO80211Family.

Type 'mount', note the dev node of the partition you installed in, ie, /dev/disk0s2. Install the Chameleon binaries by entering the i386 folder, and typing the following, replacing 'rdisk0' with the disk number from earlier (so, disk1s4 would be rdisk1), and replacing rdisk0s2 with the disk number from earlier (so, disk1s4 would be rdisk1s4):

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

Head over to your other files, gunzip boot.gz and smbios.plist.gz.

gunzip boot.gz
gunzip smbios.plist.gz
mkdir /Volumes/[new installation name]/Extra
cp boot /Volumes/[new installation name]/
cp smbios.plist /Volumes/[new installation name]/Extra

Edit your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, and add "-x32" to your kernel flags. You won't have native video unless you boot in 32-bit mode. Take this opportunity to re-add your Ethernet device-properties, and add a timeout flag.

You should be ready to go. As long as you have that drive ready to boot, pop it back in your laptop, or reboot with that drive ready to go, and you should be able to reboot and start in OS X. It may be useful to boot up in verbose mode just in case.

Graphics

The ThinkPad X61 (and, to some degree, the T61 and R61) uses the Intel 965/GMA X3100 graphics controller. This one proved problematic from 10.5.0 to 10.5.2, but the Leopard Graphics Updater after 10.5.2 solved that issue. The X61 now requires no patching to have full QE/CI and resolution switching, so any installer should not require selecting a X3100 patch. The default Apple drivers drive this display just fine. At this time, though, resolution switching is sometimes off, brightness control and rotation is not available. It seems to be in the process of being worked on, though. The external VGA port works just fine without any strange hacks. I'm personally driving a 22" LCD at 1680x1050 from it without a problem.

LCD Brightness

There are a couple of methods with varying levels of 'success', as this is one of those items considered 'in progress'.

1) Your best bet right now, thanks to =SABER=, and plist adaptation by grandflash. Using the X61-BrightnessPack.zip attached below, install the given kext in the usual way to replace your X3100 Framebuffer driver, and use EFI-Studio or a similar tool to import the included .plist file into your com.apple.Boot.plist file under device-settings. Note, this should be a hex string, not xml. Reboot, and you'll be able to set your brightness in System Preferences, or by reassigning your F-keys.

2) A not-so-ideal way. Starting around page 16 is some discussion on the topic. Using the latest Chameleon and the DSDT Patcher, you can add a brightness node (APP0002) to your DSDT. It results in uneven brightness control, but using manual tools, you can define a specific, useful range to control the brightness.

Audio

Your ThinkPad has Intel HD Audio compliant AD1984 sound chipset. The user 'Turbo' has come up with a first look driver which supports sound output through the speakers, and then 'priitv8' discovered how to hack around and get line in and out working on the chipset. 'grandflash' was kind enough to assemble it for us X61 users, and provided this zip archive of extensions and an EFI string to get things working. Use EFIStudio to add the efi string to your com.apple.Boot.plist, drop the extensions in /System/Library/Extensions using Kext Helper or your method of choice. Next reboot, you'll have functional audio with auto headphone switching and all of the cool stuff.

Your other option is the VoodooHDA driver. It results in fully working audio, but fails to initialize properly after a sleep+wake cycle.

Ethernet

Your ThinkPad has the Intel 82566 MM Gigabit Ethernet Controller. It is similar to the 8255x series chips, but different enough that Apple's driver will not work. User 'dingguijin' ported a driver, available in this topic, and it works pretty well. The connection does not return after sleep, but it's an excellent start and works quite well.

Wireless

Do you have the ThinkPad Wireless MiniPCIE card? If so -- you have Atheros, and you're ready for wireless! Have the Intel 3945 card? You're screwed! Get on eBay and pick up the Atheros controller, you can search for Thinkpad wireless atheros, or by FRU, which could be 39t5578, 39t0499, or 40Y7026. I had to replace mine, and it's not terrible. Remove all of the keyboard screws and the bottom half of the "board" icon'd screws on the bottom of the machine, lift up the palmrest, and it's right in front of you. I will not be held responsible if you damage anything. :) Please note that other cards, such as the Dell 1490 series, will NOT work with your ThinkPad. Lenovo, in their infinite wisdom, has a white list of PCI IDs that they will allow as a network controller. Putting that card in your system will just give you an error message asking you to get it out of that laptop. Take a look here to see exactly what to pull.

To get your Atheros card working, pop into a terminal, and go to /System/Library/Extensions/IO802.11Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents. Edit Info.plist with vi, nano, pico, or your editor or choice. Go down to IOPCIMatch, and under that, with all the <string> entries, add <string>pci168c,1014</string>. Save and exit, and manually load it by entering "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO802.11Family.kext" You'll be able to head into System Preferences, Network, and watch as it adds an AirPort option. Hit the 'Turn AirPort On' button, and you're in business.

If you can't get it to turn on, go to "Advanced", and click some checkbox, like "Disconnect when user logs out". Hit Okay, and hit Apply at the main Networking window. The Apply button will turn your card on, and it will work from then on out. You can then return the options back to their original form, and not have to pull that {censored} anymore. Have fun!

Battery Meter

The battery meter and power profiles work perfectly, and I'm recommending something different now. With the stock PowerManagement.bundle, use Chun-Nan/Eureka's AppleACPIBatteryManager. It works better than the old bundle, keeps track of all of your battery information, and survives the software update process just fine. It works great with the standard X61 battery as well as a second battery in the dock bay. Can't lose.

PC Card/Cardbus

There's a pretty mature patch to get this working, right here in this forum. Unfortunately, you lose the ability to sleep. Most people are not going to end up using this slot, so unless there's a specific device you're planning on using, it's probably not worth getting this thing up and running.

Memory Card Reader

User 'quinielascom' put together a driver for our SDHCI device to read MMC, SD, and other card types in our internal readers. It's still in development, so there are still occasional issue with its use. I do know that other users are working on patches and fixes to make it work better, but it's a great start.

Tablet

Working as of 2008-03-19. There is a project called TabletMagic, InsanelyMac Forum Link, that will support Wacom tablets on TabletPCs or outside the machine. The X61t requires an enabler for the tablet to work, as Lenovo shuts off the serial port in the BIOS, and you have to use ACPI to reenable it. Download is available at the bottom of this post under 'TabletEnabler-1.1', and the source code is available if you'd like to poke at it. Once you have that in, you have to edit Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist, and replace the PNP0501 with WACF004. You can then configure TabletMagic. If this works well for you, donate to Scott! He has worked very hard on TabletMagic, and deserves a little extra money in his wallet. I only enabled a device, he made it all work.

WACF008 users can find a slightly updated TabletMagic in this post. Thanks, Scott, for keeping things supported!

Don't want to edit the serial driver? I've attached it below.

For those experimenting with a white cat, look for the _64 below.

Modem

Nope, sorry. I don't think anyone is especially motivated to do a driver, either.

Sleep/Wake

With the vanilla kernel and ACPI, sleep seems to work on these machines. One catch I've found is that the machine will automatically wake up as soon as you put it to sleep. How to solve that? Turn off your hardware wireless switch on the front of your machine before putting it to sleep. It happily stays asleep, and will wake up when you open the lid or press your Fn/Function key. Some patches have removed this requirement.

Superhai from the Dell laptop threads created an enabler for sleep-on-lid. This allows your machine to go to sleep when you close the lid, which is a pretty natural way to go about things.

Speedstep

Help your system utilize Speedstep effectively -- extend your battery life, reduce weird I386_DIV exceptions, and eliminate random interrupts and beachballs, all while reducing the temperature of your machine. It's just like in Windows, only in the better OS. :P There are a few solutions out there, but I'm currently using Superhai's Voodoo Power. Download the newest version from there, install the kernel extension, and it's all automatic from there. In low usage, your CPU speed drops, and as load climbs, it will clock up your CPU accordingly. Using some plist editing, you can adjust when it steps and how much voltage to limit it to, if you want, or let it run on its own. A command line utility is provided to get detailed status on how the extension is working. You can use netkas' cpu-x to verify everything is working as intended.

Other

If you're having issues getting Bluetooth or Wireless to work, boot back into Windows and make sure you have Bluetooth and Wifi turned on in Access Connections. Turning them off there sets a ACPI flag that OS X doesn't bother turning back on. Once they're on in Windows, use the hardware switch to turn Bluetooth off in OS X.

A sorta-working driver is available to enable your tablet keys by replacing your ApplePS2Keyboard.kext with the driver in this post. It will map your cursor keys, as well as escape and enter. The other keys are mapped to function keys that you can customize.

If you're seeing a lot of divide by zero and I386_DIV exceptions causing applications to force quite while using the vanilla kernel, head to your BIOS settings and set Intel Speedstep to automatic across the board. Your freezes may disappear. If not, you are stuck with the TSC bug. Download the latest Voodoo or AnV kernel, and your kernel panics and app closings WILL disappear.

Initial Installation

These installation instructions were out of date. Try iPC or XxX with 10.5.6.

Working out of the box

• CD and DVD Read/Write
  • USB 2.0
  • FireWire 400
  • UltraBase ports and bays, as long as it is connected on boot
  • Trackpoint
  • Bluetooth

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

post-10391-1241285151_thumb.jpg

TabletEnabler_1.1.kext.zip

TabletEnabler_1.1_src.zip

Apple16X50Serial.kext.zip

X61_BrightnessPack.zip

TabletEnabler.kext_64.zip

boot.gz

smbios.plist.gz

• Like 3

it wasn´t working before. since i made the update to 10.5.2 its working perfectly ^^

but there are still some other problems to fix:

-the is no way for me to get the batterty meter to show up

-some the powermanagent is screwed up, the fan is going quiet often (@ the rpm limit)

is it the same with your setup?

best regards

-the is no way for me to get the batterty meter to show up

-some the powermanagent is screwed up, the fan is going quiet often (@ the rpm limit)

PowerManagement is fine for me -- check the battery meter section in the post above. Make sure your AppleACPIPlatform matches.

Hello! (First post on this forum :-)

I have an X61 tablet with 1400x1050 SXGA+ screen (pen-sensitive, not multi-touch), 8-cell battery, and Intel 4965 abgn wireless.

Thank you, as this thread helped me get up and running.

Working:

dual screens (perfect support; orientation of screens, different resolutions, and auto-detection works flawlessly)

sleep mode (works, but closing the screen does not cause sleep mode; note: it recovers from sleep mode nearly instantly)

battery monitory (took a few reboots; maybe I was doing something improperly; it works now)

Need to work:

networking (I'll end up buying the proper PCI-E card.)

sound (I don't really use sound when travelling with my laptop, although it would be kinda nice; my plan is to pipe sound to mpd on my desktop, so I can use my high-quality speakers for listening; I might buy a USB headset if I really need it)

Would be nice to have working:

SD card reader

tablet

Thoughts:

If I get the USB headset and wifi card, the price will be under $70. The SD card reader isn't really necessary. I'm in no rush to see it work. Tablet support would be nice. It adds a lot to the tablet PC pricetag, and I'd like to use the feature, especially if I am to use OSX for the stereotypical "artist-y" things like hand-drawing.

I need to reinstall everything soon, anyway, so I can dual or tri-boot, so I can play around with this installation. I'll investigate the tablet functionality. I'm new to Mac, so I don't know how far I'll be able to go with playing with drivers.

i followed all given instructions.. could you give me a little hint how to make sure that the AppleACPIPlatform will match?

Try copying all the files, again, being sure to use sudo.

Run kextstat | grep ACPI

Look for the line with `AppleACPIPlatform' in it, and the version should be 1.1.0 if you installed it following the method stated in the original post.

Edit the file stated in the other thread: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Change the text from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0 on the line below `<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>' (It was around line 55)

Run `sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext'

Then reboot.

When you reboot, the battery meter might still not show up. Go into System Preferences and Energy Saver, and look around in the options, and details, and there should be settings for displaying the battery meter.

Update report:

I booted up this morning to show off the amazing load times and support, and the screen was horribly distorted (To help Googlers find this: blue on the left side, black on the very right, and one pixel lines protruding from the right side of the blue mass changing constantly).

I rebooted a few times, to no avail. I plugged in my second monitor, as I had done last night right before I shut down. It booted up perfectly. I disabled the screen and rebooted. It got stuck on the light blue background and never got to the desktop (waiting 5 minutes). I forcefully shut it down. Rebooting worked. I'm guessing multiple forced shutdowns when the video was failing caused some corruption or something OSX didn't like.

Opening the lid wakes OSX up from sleep. I wonder if there's a way to have the closing of the lid activate sleep. It's obviously able to read the lid acpi sensor (proper word?)

Is there any fingerprint reader support? I see a "biometric coprocessor" in the USB section of the System Profiler.

I rebooted a few times, to no avail. I plugged in my second monitor, as I had done last night right before I shut down. It booted up perfectly. I disabled the screen and rebooted. It got stuck on the light blue background and never got to the desktop (waiting 5 minutes). I forcefully shut it down. Rebooting worked. I'm guessing multiple forced shutdowns when the video was failing caused some corruption or something OSX didn't like.
Yeah, I've found booting up once with the external display fixes it for a few reboots. Got me.
Hello! (First post on this forum :-)
Welcome!
If I get the USB headset and wifi card, the price will be under $70. The SD card reader isn't really necessary. I'm in no rush to see it work. Tablet support would be nice. It adds a lot to the tablet PC pricetag, and I'd like to use the feature, especially if I am to use OSX for the stereotypical "artist-y" things like hand-drawing.

Tablet support is my priority right now. It's the main reason I bought this version of the X61, and I'd like to see it work, even if just for note taking. I am not sure why this isn't working the way I want it to, but dammit, I will figure it out somehow.

I currently use a USB dongle for sound, found it for $10 on craigslist, and bought the wireless card for $30, and sold the Intel card for $10. It'd be neat to have the SD card reader, and maybe doing a port of that from Linux or FreeBSD will be my next jump after getting tablet support working. We already have that controller working properly using the IOPCCard rev8 above, so we just need to add a driver for that device.

outZider: I've been playing with it all day, and I can't seem to get anywhere with the serial port/tablet interface.

To make things a little faster than a LiveCD, have you had any luck/tips with dual-booting Linux (Ubuntu preferred) and OSX? Will EFI and GPT work with Ubuntu? I think on my next reinstall of OSX, I'll leave ~15GB at the end of the drive for Ubuntu, and hopefully it'll take care of the chaining and such.

Also, before I erased Windows, I shut off the bluetooth radio. Without reinstalling XP or Vista, is there a way to turn the radio back on?

outZider: I've been playing with it all day, and I can't seem to get anywhere with the serial port/tablet interface.

I have been working on it all day. From the source, I got to the point where I realized the BIOS isn't allocating any RAM to the interface, unlike Windows and Linux. I got where it would start allocating RAM, but kernel panics. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will have a breakthrough.

To make things a little faster than a LiveCD, have you had any luck/tips with dual-booting Linux (Ubuntu preferred) and OSX? Will EFI and GPT work with Ubuntu? I think on my next reinstall of OSX, I'll leave ~15GB at the end of the drive for Ubuntu, and hopefully it'll take care of the chaining and such.

As far as I know, the latest release supports EFI/GPT. Since I keep a Vista partition around, I use a program called 'gptsync' to keep an MBR duplicate of my GPT partitions around, so that would work for Ubuntu if it doesn't truly support GPT yet. Worst case, you can use the Hoary beta, and that should definitely support GPT partitions..

Also, before I erased Windows, I shut off the bluetooth radio. Without reinstalling XP or Vista, is there a way to turn the radio back on?

No good answer for you yet, but since it's software, I believe Apple's drive will let you turn it back on with ease. If that doesn't work, flick the hardware switch off and then on, and it should redetect.

I have been working on it all day. From the source, I got to the point where I realized the BIOS isn't allocating any RAM to the interface, unlike Windows and Linux. I got where it would start allocating RAM, but kernel panics. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will have a breakthrough.

You definitely got further than me. I couldn't figure out why the serial port wasn't being recognized by OSX at all. I don't think I know enough about low-level programming to work with any of that. :)

No good answer for you yet, but since it's software, I believe Apple's drive will let you turn it back on with ease. If that doesn't work, flick the hardware switch off and then on, and it should redetect.

The radio is turned off at a lower level than the OS. It's an ACPI thing (ibm-pci takes care of it in Linux). I'll work on that a bit. If it can work with OSX, screen rotation sensors, brightness, radios, dock removal, will be possible.

Try copying all the files, again, being sure to use sudo.

Run kextstat | grep ACPI

Look for the line with `AppleACPIPlatform' in it, and the version should be 1.1.0 if you installed it following the method stated in the original post.

Edit the file stated in the other thread: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Change the text from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0 on the line below `<key>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</key>' (It was around line 55)

Run `sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext'

Then reboot.

When you reboot, the battery meter might still not show up. Go into System Preferences and Energy Saver, and look around in the options, and details, and there should be settings for displaying the battery meter.

now i had redone all of this and it is working !! ... i'am not used to linux command line syntax, i must have done a mistake somewhere ^^

i guess your are right. after i shutdown windows with bluetooth turned on and started leo the bt radio was installed / recognized. now it is possible to turn it on / off with the hardware switch.

regrads

I think I'm probably giving up for the day. There is little to no documentation for IOACPI* in Apple's dev docs, and so it's hard to figure out what's going on. Effectively, the BIOS is preallocating RAM for the external serial port, but leaving it up to the OS to allocate for the tablet's serial port at WACF004. No matter what I try to poke in IOService, I can't get OS X to turn that port on successfully. I'll sleep on it tonight and see where we can go with it.

I also think this is the same issue affecting the HP TC1100. The solution lies in checking for a successful mapDeviceMemoryWithIndex, and if not, we need to send a way to enable that port and run the same command again. That was, the updated driver can be installed on any OS X install.

Either way, I'm annoyed. This is seriously bugging me now. :)

Wireless

Do you have the ThinkPad Wireless MiniPCIE card? If so -- you have Atheros, and you're ready for wireless! Have the Intel 3945 card? You're screwed! Get on eBay and pick up the Atheros controller, you can search for Thinkpad wireless atheros, or by FRU, which could be 39t5578, 39t0499, or 40Y7026. I had to replace mine, and it's not terrible. Remove all of the keyboard screws and the bottom half of the "board" screws on the bottom of the machine, lift up the palmrest, and it's right in front of you. I will not be held responsible if you damage anything. ;) Please note that other cards, such as the Dell 1490 series, will NOT work with your ThinkPad. Lenovo, in their infinite wisdom, has a white list of PCI IDs that they will allow as a network controller. Putting that card in your system will just give you an error message asking you to get it out of that laptop.

AAAAAARGH :):):D !!!!

You gave me a terrible news!!!!!

Last monday I ordered from DELL a Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) dell Latitude D420/D520/D620/D820 / D620 ATG!!!

I bought it because I have read many threads (Italian Forum) and all people say that this is the most compatible Mini PCIE card for Leopard..

Are you sure about its Lenovo incompatibility?!?!

In Europe I have found only this ebay object: 190198921471 (search object on ebay) but I don't know if chipset AR5006EGS is compatible..

What a pity :P

you guys made any progress on the sound front? I have a T61 with the same sound card, I get the sound icons etc but no output
I solved with a Creative Sounblaster Connect USB (it is recognized as a native audio external adapter): SPDIF out work perfectly!

Another solution for me was to use Nokia BH-501 Stereo Bluetooth Headset that I bought for my Nokia N95 8GB (sound is no good.. maybe there is a way to control audio quality.. it seems to be mono..)

Bye

Wireless

Do you have the ThinkPad Wireless MiniPCIE card? If so -- you have Atheros, and you're ready for wireless! Have the Intel 3945 card? You're screwed! Get on eBay and pick up the Atheros controller, you can search for Thinkpad wireless atheros, or by FRU, which could be 39t5578, 39t0499, or 40Y7026. I had to replace mine, and it's not terrible. Remove all of the keyboard screws and the bottom half of the "board" screws on the bottom of the machine, lift up the palmrest, and it's right in front of you. I will not be held responsible if you damage anything. ;) Please note that other cards, such as the Dell 1490 series, will NOT work with your ThinkPad. Lenovo, in their infinite wisdom, has a white list of PCI IDs that they will allow as a network controller. Putting that card in your system will just give you an error message asking you to get it out of that laptop.

Hi outZider, is it possible to bypass BIOS error with this?

http://www.thirdblessing.net/svemir/archiv...r/#comment-6298

Did you try the no1802.com file?

It would be a great solution!

Thanks and bye:-)

Not sure I can be bothered with having external sound adapters - you think there will be a fix one day?

Also, this slide the wireless card power switch on the front of the laptop to the off position before sleep hasnt helped, my laptop sleeps and immediately wakes up again

Any clues?

Are you sure about its Lenovo incompatibility?!?!
Positive. ;) I had a 1490 sitting around here. I popped it in, and the BIOS started whining about an unrecognized network card installed and refused to boot. Sorry to give the bad news. :(I ended up ordering FRU 39T5578, Lenovo ThinkPad Wireless PCI-E AR5BXB6. Spent US$23 plus shipping, works great. I did a search on eBay for (39t5578,39t0499,40Y7026), which searches all three valid FRUs for the card.
Did you try the no1802.com file?It would be a great solution!
Unfortunately, seems that this can't be bypassed in newer models. Some of the [T/A/X]4x series and all of the 6x series override this fix. ;)
Not sure I can be bothered with having external sound adapters - you think there will be a fix one day?
Taruga is working on a new version of the AppleHDA patcher, due out "any time now", which should help us out. Apparently, there are a lot of fixes for the AD198x series, including our AD1984. In the meantime, I , too, use a USB dongle for sound, as I only use headphones anyway.I can't wait for it to be native, though. :)

I just wanted to chip in a 'thanks' for outZider for working on this stuff and setting up this thread.

I've been messing around with Hac's for what feels like ages now. Its funny, I've installed wonderfully-functioning Hac's for friends and family and I'm still running Vista myself on my main computer, the X61t.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, and if I end up with anything to contribute or help with I'll definitely chime in.