Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

ALWAYS CHECK FOR UPDATES and ARCHIVE UPDATES ARE LISTED AT THE END OF THIS POST, SEARCH THE POST FOR YOUR ISSUE

April 2 Current Update:

Not sure if there is anyone left following this thread, but if you guys are still there - i'm always glad to share what has come across my desk! So here is the latest from my boot stick. Of course, u will need your own DSDT if you don't have my motherboard and BIOS version. You can check your BIOS version during the boot process. If you have my motherboard, then you can try my files exactly, but you might need to adjust the com.apple.boot.plist for your default resolution. It also includes AsereBLNs bootloader, which is really slick. Instructions: format your boot stick, install the bootloader, then copy the extra folder, adjust the smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist as per your system specs, and boot it up. Then you just have to add the voodooHDA which is in the goes into ... folder. Good Luck! the file download is at the bottom... LTL 10.6.3 or here LTL_10.6.3.zip :)

About the GUIDES

10.5 GUIDES ARE LABELED IN BLUE

1. The original step by step guide for noobs that allows you to learn the process. You will need the "file pack" download below.
  2. v3 A guide with scripts for the more advanced user. You will need the "install pack" download below.
  3. v4.4 A guide with scripts for the more advanced user. This guide is the most up to date for 10.5 and uses the latest install methods as of this writing.
  4. UPDATES
  5. BACKUP AND RECOVERY
  6. Change log below each install
  7. Let me know about TYPOS, I usually update the guide late at night after work :D

Older updates, hardware suggestions, and more are in Archive below

I highly recommend using the scripts. They will provide you with the most polished 10.5.x install. Read the scripts and make sure you adjust variables. EFI strings for Sound and LAN, Time Machine, Internal Drives, shut down, reboot, sleep, you name it..its done. If you have my exact setup, its all you need for a flawless install. Of course, it also works for similar boards... DS4, DS3L, DS3R, etc. There also successes with P5x based Asus boards. So if you have a different mobo, then all you have to do it make sure you adjust the script not to install the com.boot.apple.plist and you should be set! Open the post-script and make your adjustments.

Again, there are video card solutions abound....and while I have included many below... if yours is not here, then you should find it. If you have the ATI 3870, then your set...just install from the post script.

REMEMBER TO BUY YOUR OWN COPY OF APPLE OS X. I have bought every version of the OS from 10.1. I have also purchased 4 real macs since 2000. Number one, I'm currently living overseas and its cost prohibitive to get a mac here. Number two, the Apple product line has a gap in it, its called the work station. Our choice is to get a wimpy un-upgradable iMac or an overpowered Mac Pro. What happened to a standard tower? I won't even mention the mac-mini..its pathetic. If Apple introduced a 1500USD upgradable tower, it would sell like hot cakes.

UPDATES:

1. download the update from Apple
  2. transfer that update to your utility install
  3. install the update .. make sure you install it on your main install (Macintosh)
  4. run the post_patch again
  5. reboot
  6. done

BACKUP AND RECOVERY:

A subject that is rarely spoken about. Aside from using Time Machine. I suggest you do the following once you get your install just right.

1. Get your system running perfectly (follow my guide!)
  2. Reboot into your Kalyway or second utility install
  3. Go into Disk Utility
  4. Find a location that will hold an imagine roughly 80% the size of the used space of your main install, this has to be a different physical drive, because your target drive will be dismounted while it is turned into an image.
  5. Now create an image of your main install and store it for the future. Next time you need to re-install or do some testing on your install, you can just restore that image and do as you need. I make a fresh image monthly now. And keep a fresh install image as well to deploy quickly to test a kext, etc.

You will have to resinstall PC-EFI (pre-patch) or Chameleon after restoring image.

10.5.x GUIDE v4.4 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

EFIv9, 10.5.6

v4.4 Downloads:

VERSION 4.4 FILES FOR THIS INSTALL

10.5.6 COMBO UPDATER FROM APPLE

Step 1 Drive & file prep

There are a few ways to do step 1, this is just one example. If you are an advanced user or only have one drive, please feel free to use BOOT 132, or whatever you want. For this guide as it is, You will need more than one drive in your system and have OS X running on one drive. You can use Kalaway, its easy to get it up and running and since you only need the basics you dont need to worry about a complete install. Just get it up and running so you can do some terminal work and use disk utility.

1. The install method assumes you have more than one HD in your system and OS X running on one drive already.

2. Boot into OS X (install Kaly, my V3, or noob) - note: After you are finished you should always maintain two or more installs in your box, one for daily use and one to test and do work to your main)

3. Make an ISO of your Retail 10.5.x (mine is 10.5.1) DVD, put it into a folder called Retail

4. Download and unpack the
    to your desktop (same as above)

5. Download the 10.5.6 combo update from Apple (not thru updater)
    (same as above)

6. open up your Disk Utillity

7. Click on your target drive (or target drive/partition) in the left window

8. Then look right and click on the Partition Tab

9. Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition (change if you know what your doing)

10. Then fill in the Name with: Macintosh

11. Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

12. Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

13. Click Apply

14. Go to your Retail folder on your desktop and mount your OS X image

15. Go into the v4.4 folder and open post-patch.sh and change the variables as per your liking. You will need to change destination drive and choose other options

Step 2 Installing OS X from Retail DVD

1. Open a terminal

2. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

3. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    open OSInstall.mpkg

4. Install onto your Macintosh labeled drive

Step 3 Installing Combo updater

1. goto downloads or wherever you saved the updater

2. mount the ISO

3. run updater

4. make sure you change destination drive and install on Macintosh drive

Step 4 Run post-patch.sh

1. go back to Terminal

sudo -s

3. enter your password

4. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Macintosh

5. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal (change yourusernamehere to your username):
    cd /users/
    yourusernamehere
    /desktop/v4.4

6. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    ./post-patch.sh

7. after it finishes TYPE:
    exit

8. then TYPE:
    exit

Step 5 Installing EFIv9

1. go into V4.4 folder on your desktop

2. go into v9netkas folder

3. run Bootloader.pkg

4. install it on your new Macintosh drive

5. REBOOT into your new install

Step 6 EFI strings and patch HDA

1. go into V4.4 folder on your desktop

2. go into extras folder

3. run EFI studio

4. setup strings for sound, LAN

5. REBOOT

Step 7 VIDEO

you may find your own solution, the EFI studio may be your solution , there is a Natit for the ATI3870 512MB in the v4 pack.

END GUIDE v4.4

10.5.x GUIDE v4.3 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

Vanilla Kernel, Chameleon EFI, latest kexts and fixes

v4.3 Downloads:

VERSION 4.2 FILES FOR THIS INSTALL (still using 4.2 files for 4.3 install)

10.5.5 COMBO UPDATER FROM APPLE

Step 1 Drive & file prep

There are a few ways to do step 1, this is just one example. If you are an advanced user or only have one drive, please feel free to use BOOT 132, or whatever you want. For this guide as it is, You will need more than one drive in your system and have OS X running on one drive. You can use Kalaway, its easy to get it up and running and since you only need the basics you dont need to worry about a complete install. Just get it up and running so you can do some terminal work and use disk utility.

1. The install method assumes you have more than one HD in your system and OS X running on one drive already.

2. Boot into OS X (install Kaly, my V3, or noob) - note: After you are finished you should always maintain two or more installs in your box, one for daily use and one to test and do work to your main)

3. Make an ISO of your Retail 10.5.x (mine is 10.5.1) DVD, put it into a folder called Retail

to your desktop (same as above)

5. Download the 10.5.5 combo update from Apple (not thru updater)
    (same as above)

7. Click on your target drive (or target drive/partition) in the left window

13. Click Apply

14. Go to your Retail folder on your desktop and mount your OS X image

15. Go into the v4.2 folder and open post-patch.sh and change the variables as per your liking. You will need to change destination drive and choose Vanilla or Modbin 9.4 kernel

Step 2 Installing OS X from Retail DVD

1. Open a terminal

3. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    open OSInstall.mpkg

Step 3 Installing Combo updater

2. mount the ISO

3. run updater

Step 4 Run post-patch.sh

1. go back to Terminal

sudo -s

3. enter your password

4. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:

5. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal (change yourusernamehere to your username):
    cd /users/
    yourusernamehere
    /desktop/v4.2

6. TYPE or cut n past into Terminal:
    ./post-patch.sh

exit

8. then TYPE:
    exit

Step 5 Installing Chameleon

1. go into V4.2 folder on your desktop

2. go into extras folder

3. run Chameleon

4. install it on your new Macintosh drive

5. REBOOT into your new install

Step 6 EFI strings and patch HDA

1. go into V4.2 folder on your desktop

2. go into extras folder

3. run EFI studio

4. setup strings for sound, LAN

5. REBOOT

Step 7 VIDEO

you may find your own solution, the EFI studio may be your solution , there is a Natit for the ATI3870 in the v4 pack.

END GUIDE v4.2

Change Log:

4.2 - changed default destination to Macintosh in postpatch, cleared up guide regarding changing to desktop, added further instructions to the postpatch, added readme file to kernel directory.

4.3 - updated for 10.5.5 combo update - files are still the same from 4.2

4.4 - updated for 10.5.6 update - all kext same except AppleHDA, removed all trace of EFI8, added EFI9 installer, Voodoo Kernel installer, My personal com.apple.boot.plist, DSDT patcher in case,

10.5.x GUIDE v3 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

Various Netkas or Vanilla Kernel, EFI v8, older but very stable and working kexts and fixes. my current rig uses these files

v3 Downloads:

VERSION 3 FILES FOR THIS INSTALL

10.5.4 COMBO UPDATER FROM APPLE

Step 1 Preparation

1. Install Kalyway or similar on the slower of your two drives and or on a small partition.

2. Make an ISO of your Retail 10.5.x (mine is 10.5.1) DVD, put it into a folder called Retail

3. Boot into your Kalyway install

to your desktop

5. Download the 10.5.4 combo update from Apple (not thru updater)

7. Click on your 150GB (or target drive/partition) in the left window

13. Click Apply

14. When it is done, click on Macintosh in the left window and then click on info icon above it

15. Make note of the Disk Identifier and then close the info window

16. Unmount the Macintosh drive

17. Go to your Retail folder on your desktop and mount your OS X image

Step 2 Installing EFI and making active (bootable)

1. open up the folder on your desktop called v3

2. open up pre-patch.sh with your text editor and update the disk id's (disk0s2) and name of your disk, if you did not use Macintosh

3. now open up a Terminal

4. type:sudo -s

5. then enter your password

6. now change to your v3 director on your destkop

7. then type: ./pre-patch.sh (if you only have one HD in your system, you will need to install while booting to your Kalway DVD,
    )

8. once your drive remounts, your done with step 2

Step 3 Installing OS X from Retail DVD

1. Open a terminal

2. TYPE:

3. TYPE:
    open OSInstall.mpkg

Step 4 Installing Combo updater

2. mount the ISO

3. run updater

Step 5 Run post-script.sh

1. go back to Terminal

2. TYPE:
    sudo -s

3. enter your password

4. TYPE:

5. change directory to v3 on your desktop

6. TYPE:
    ./post-patch.sh

exit

8. then TYPE:
    exit

Reboot...

Fixing your sound:

If you have my mobo, then your set. Nothing else to do. If you have the ALC889A sound chip set, then go into your Applications and unpack the HDA.zip. Then drag the ALC889Adump.txt to the AppleHDApatcher, put your password in, and reboot...your vanilla appleHDA.kext is patched and you are done... minus your video. You can also use EFI studio

Fixing your video:

netkas makes fine solutions, and so do a hand full of others. Search for a solution based on your card, and or look up the EFI strings.

links:

Netkas EFI "How To"

END GUIDE v3

NOOOB GUIDE:

NOOB Downloads:

VERSION 3 FILES FOR THIS INSTALL

10.5.4 COMBO UPDATER FROM APPLE

My SPECS AND Hardware buying guide:

[/i]

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P v 2.1

2. BIOS: Latest

3. Chipset: Northbridge: P35 Express Southbridge: ICH9R

4. Built in LAN: Realtek 8111B

5. Built in Sound: Realtek ALC889A codec

6. Processor: E8500 45NM 3.16

7. Drives: 150 Raptor 10k SATA (you really should get this drive, its so fast), Seagate 500GB 7200K SATA

8. Optical: LITEON SATA DVD

9. RAM: G.Skill 1000MHz 4x4 8GB

10. Graphic: ATI 3870 - Saphire

11. Add on 8169 PCI LAN card - a must!!! see my signature for model info from newegg

I figured this out over the last few days, but have been burning the midnight oil for the last 6 weeks in Insanelymac. Before that, i knew very little about this subject. I have been using computers since 1983 and am an advanced user with a lot of history. I have been on the Mac since 2000. I have purchased 4 new macs since 2000, i will purchase more Macs in the future, nothing beats a real mac...but this is a lot of fun and i'm glad that this community is here.

Most people will get enjoyment out of talking over your head, i'm not insecure...so that does not float my boat. I also know that a lot of enthusiast don't have the time to learn 10 years of IT in 5 weeks. I'm going to try to put things as clearly as possible so if you have done your homework, then this will make sense to you. This style does not involve any scripts or automated processes. You will be doing a lot of this work from Terminal. I suggest you give yourself some time to try this, don't get upset if it does not work the first time, try a few times, then walk away for a day and think about what you did. Then come back and try again, the solutions will come to you if you have really spent some time around this forum.

I really want to figure out EFI strings next, so hopefully I will be able to add some more info for this specific hardware soon.

My Results as of this writing upon first boot: OS: 10.5.1 (Retail DVD), EFI 8, GUID, Boot, Time Machine, Reboot, Shut Down, sound, all working. Built in LAN working after setting static IP. Software Update working. I have not tried sleep. My drives show up as internal drives.

The great thing about this is its nearly a 99.8% retail install *Vanilla*. No modified Kernel, etc. Just a few .kext files as you will see.

I will refer to my rig during the install, you can modify the various variables based on your configuration, but don't ask me to do that for you and don't ask me if your hardware will work for your system. I won't answer, I won't help, I don't care if you have not spent your time learning like I did. Yes, i'm bitter... I haven't slept. But hopefully this will help a lot of people sleep more.

Notes:

Using the above system, I first installed Kalyway on my 500GB drive and got my system up and working. Video sluggish, but everything working fine. If you need help installing Kalyway, then go get it and then come back here when your ready for a vanilla install. Kalway is GREAT and wow�what a great job. But for those of us with sensitive data and privacy requirements, it feels good to install retail and mod as little of the OS as possible. My objective is to boot off the 150GB Raptor with the retail install and use my 500GB drive for data. (I have also have a 500GB external that I will use for Time Machine.) **IMPORTANT** So the perspective of this tutorial is from the Kalyway install � using Terminal to work on and prepare the blank 150GB Raptor. Having a setup like this is the fastest way to do your work. You can do an install in 20 minutes (give or take depending on how many times you practice and the speed of your machine and language and printer drivers your choose). *This process gets your basic video working but since there are so many vids out there, you can find your own solution pretty easy.

Definitions:

Vanilla refers to unmodified (Apple original) whatever� kernel, ktexts, etc.

Great Q & A

File Preperation:

1. Create a folder on your desktop called EFI. Download my Archive.zip file and unzip the files into it.

2. Create another folder on your desktop called retail and put the ISO of your Retail OS X DVD in it. 10.5 or 10.5.1 - don't worry about the builds that people write about.

My variables that you may need to change... feel free to use mine for simplicity:

1. 500GB drive= MACOS

2. 150GB drive=Macintosh

3. Disk Identifier = disk0s2 (this your machine will create for you, you can not create this)

4. My account is called: xxx

My Bios Settings:

There are plenty of good sections on that from Socal Swimmer, LS8, and karaakeha1. If you can't find, check here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry539429

Items you will need:

1. Retail Copy of Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 or 10.5.1 (You should go out and buy this, I did.). Create an Image of this DVD and place it in your retail folder as mentioned above. Use the name: Mac OS X Install DVD

2. My zip file, see bottom, (includes Netkas EFI v8 and basic kext files)

3. Your video card solution, this is not covered here.

---Hard Drive setup suggestion. Have two installs. One install should be stripped down and on a small partition. You will use that as a utility partition to install kexts, new files, etc. You can keep back up file configs on it, etc. The other will be your main install.

Step 1 � Preparing your disks.

1. Boot into Kalyway and open up your Disk Utillity

2. Click on your 150GB drive in the left window

3. Then look right and click on the Partition Tab

4. Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition (change if you know what your doing)

5. Then fill in the Name with: Macintosh

6. Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

7. Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

8. Click Apply

9. When it is done, click on Macintosh in the left window and then click on info icon above it

10. Make note of the Disk Identifier and then close the info window

11. Unmount the Macintosh drive

12. Go to your Retail folder on your desktop and mount your OS X image

Step 2 � Installing PC-EFI and making active (bootable)

1. Open Terminal

2. Type the following commands (think here, remember to change the variables which are underlined) :

sudo �s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/
MACOS
/Users/
xxx
/Desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/r
disk0s2
./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/r
disk0s2
bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/
disk0
bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

This is what I saw:

bash-3.2# ls

.CFUserTextEncoding Desktop Music

.DS_Store Documents Pictures

.Trash Downloads Public

.bash_history Library Send Registration

.fontconfig Movies Sites

bash-3.2# cd desktop

bash-3.2# cd EFI

bash-3.2# ls

.DS_Store EFI.sh leopatch pc_efi_v80 postpatch.sh

bash-3.2# cd pc_efi_v80

bash-3.2# ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 499

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 15968

bash-3.2# dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.017674 secs (28969 bytes/sec)

bash-3.2# dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

400 bytes transferred in 0.022213 secs (18007 bytes/sec)

bash-3.2#

(if this is what you saw, then 99% sure you were successful)

Step 3 � Installing OS X from Retail DVD

Still in the same terminal type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (Enter)

open OSInstall.mpkg (Enter)

make sure you install it on the Macintosh drive

when its finished, close the installer

now install combo update 10.5.x

Installing Combo updater

2. mount the ISO

3. run updater

when its finished installing click enter

now go back to your terminal and take ownership:

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Macintosh (Enter)

Step 4 � Replacing some files if you have my board

just type the following commands from the Terminal your still in (Remember to modify Macintosh to whatever you named your drive):

sudo mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla

cd /

cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/Desktop/EFI/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo cp -r kext/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r kext/dsmos.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r pc_efi_v80/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r kext/AppleAHCIPort.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r kext/IOAHCIFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r kext/IOATAFamily.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp kext/IONetworkingFamily /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo cp kext/AppleACPIPlatform /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

YOUR DONE!!!! The next section is a variation on Step 4. It is for those who have a different board or wish to do a minimal file replacement install

Step 4a � Replacing some files if you have a board other than mine or if you want a ultra vanilla install

(Remember to modify Macintosh to whatever you named your drive):

sudo mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla

cd /

cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/Desktop/EFI/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo cp -r kext/dsmos.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r pc_efi_v80/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Some other people are switching out more kext and adding more ... or less...etc. I find this to be a nice balance between both altho you will have to do some additional changes. This method will teach you how to do that in the future without having to find someone's install package which does who knows what to your system. Have fun tweaking around with this until you find the perfect install for you.

END NOOB GUIDE

ARCHIVE

OLD UPDATES, FILES, HARDWARE BUYING SUGGESTIONS, TROUBLESHOOTING, EARLY PROBLEMS I FACED AND SOLVED

Nov 26 Current Update:

While my guide will help you get 10.5 up and going, i have already moved onto a new install method and am running 10.6 so the updates on this thread from my standpoint are over as the OS and community has now evolved. I'll attach my current extra folder. If you have a GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1) you should be able to use my extra folder which contains a fully patched DSDT. You just need to get 10.6 on a drive GREAT GUIDE , put 10.5EFI on a boot stick with this extra folder and your set. You will need to adjust my extra folder if you have a different setup. remember to modify com.apple.boot.plist for your memory and video rez. Extra.zip

Sept 15th Current Update:

Unfortunately I have been busy with work and moving both my home and office. I was also caught up with the EFI-X scam. Whatever you do, do not buy an EFI-X chip...it is a scam and their business is in trouble. My work here in this guide has always been about the community and about you. This warning is the same...it is not self serving whatsoever. I have a stack of EFIX chips that are worthless and its a real shame that we were mislead by EFI-X (ASEM). If you were unfortunate enough to have purchased one, please see www.efixusers.com for real support and help migrating to SL or off the EFIX chip. The official EFI-X forum is a controlled environment and you will not read the truth there. My advise is to stay here, in the IM community. The community has the best and most dynamic solutions, where you stay in control of your destiny. And... its free and or based on donations..

I am working on a DSDT and SL solution based on a boot stick with minimal kexts. httpblackosx has really picked up the torch and is doing a fantastic job.

In the meanwhile, check out Lifehacker's Guide with help from Onetrack if you want to start moving to SL

May 8 Current Update:

As you can see from my signature, my rigs have changed a bit since first writing this guide a year and a half ago.

I just want to add that you can setup RAID very easily with the 4.4 using the latest kext that are available for your board around the forum.

Dec 24rd Current Update:

If you are updating from 10.5.5, then just log into your utility partition, install .6 on your target partition, then run postpatch from 4.4, then install EFIv9, then reboot and your done

Dec 23rd Current Update:

Happy Holidays to all of you!! wish everyone of you good luck for the next year! So with that said, lets get down to the meat n potatoes up in here! I was out of the mix since Sept and when I got back to update I was sucka punched with all these DSDT/Voodoo/10.5.6 will break you mishagosh. So I setup a fresh new test partition and started playing with every solution out there from PCWIZ's new UInstaller (who is a farking genius), Netkas, etc. I didn't like the way things turned out and I'm not a fan of all these automated processes .. so I turned back to my 4.3 install and bam, it worked with no DSDT! haha... So I tested that again, tweaked things and walla I'm done with 4.4! and your upgraded to 10.5.6!. I have not updated any kext in 4.4 and my system is running normally with Vanilla kernel.

Nov 19th Current Update:

If you need to run windoz XP for a program or two, like I do. Then you would be interested to know about a new FREE anti-virus program - yes, this is a shameless plug for one of my very good friends. They are looking for beta testers!! come help us out: Anti-Virus that doesn't suck

Sept 25th Current Update:

Here ya go! 10.5.5 update v4.3 guide ... guide is basically the same and I added a separate GUIDE for doing updates... easy as pie

Aug 24:

As some of you know, FakeEFI is going through some changes, maturing, and in flux. Chameleon is part of that step forward along with BOOT-132. Can't wait to see what those guys come up with.

I have put a new v4.2 Guide together including the latest KEXTs, vanilla kernel works reboot-shutdown, and Chameleon. please post your feedback, its always appreciated. See v4.2 install guide below.

Mar 14th UPDATE

Work on the installer has stopped for now as it was messing up my system. I have a few things I want to share and a new install pack based on scripts to add.

To install direct to 10.5.2 easy with scripts:

You can go ahead and follow step 1, then run the pre-patch.sh script instead of step 2

-to run it, sudo, then navigate to the folder and run the script ./pre-patch.sh (don't forget to modify the script to reflect the name of your drives)

Then do step 3

Then install 10.5.2 combo update

Then run the post-patch.sh instead of step 4

Reboot and your good... go into your apps folder and unpack the HDA.zip. drop the dump onto the HDA patcher, and reboot to golden sound.

Let me know how it goes...

Mar 12th UPDATE

I'm experimenting with the netkas kernel for sleep and an unmodified AppleHDA that has only been patched (1.2 HDA patcher). I like what I see so far...

I'm also working on an installer

will report all findings ASAP

Mar 4nd UPDATE

Updated FilePack to v.3 including new SMBIOS that gets rid of Hackint0sh in About this Mac.

Interesting GFX update. Today I took out the temp 7300GT and replaced it with a netkas suggested ATI 3870 from Saphire. I installed the natit and the rest is history. I'm so happy that I sat back and called this month long project complete! My system is running smooth, stable, and fast. I have zero issues now. This card runs so perfectly... wow... i highly recommend it. It's quiet, its cool, and GUI is fast. You can get the natit you need below.

So as of today, my system is complete. My time line was as follows: 1 month to figure out the perfect hardware. After getting all the parts together, I started the install process. Installed about 30 times over one week. Every build available and then got hooked on Retail installs. Once I got my final installs complete. I started to put out the fires (as you will read in my earlier updates below). The big fires were easy to fix, but then it took 3 weeks to figure out my GFX card needed to be RMA'd. During that time that my GFX was casuing my system to freeze up, i was able to sort out my LAN issues by installing the cheap 8169 card which uses native Apple drivers. I also figured out that I was not having any issues using more than 3GB of Ram, so I installed a total of 8 and its a non-issue. I run multiple VMs 24/7 with no issue. So in the end, I was only left with GFX issues and got a new card to fix that.

So to those of you looking for hardware, etc. Just starting your journey. My hardware is a great choice. My system is rock sold stable... and fast as hell.

Mar 2nd UPDATE

End of my headache! Turns out the 8800GT that shipped with my stuff a month ago was bunk and the cause of all my headaches. I am currently using a 7300GT with EFI strings and all is running smooth as butter. But can not return for money back so am forced to buy a new card and was just advised by Netkas himself to get the ATI 3870. How can you turn down advise like that? More info to come... I attached the 3870 Natit below just in case!!!

Guide update, added lines to remove kext cache if any exists

Have added Files and Fixes for the following:

1. Natit for ATI 3870

see bottom for Files

Feb 26th UPDATE

I'm succesfully using EFI strings now for my video and sound, going to install for ethernet later today

1. ALC889Adump.text
  2. AppleHDAPatcherv1.20
  3. com.apple.boot.plist in the EFI string kit
  4. Hex files for EFI strings (8800GT 512MB, ethernet and audio for GA-P35-DS3P or same family boards)

see bottom for Files

I used the following thread to get the EFI strings working, was really easy:

EFI How To

Enjoy the updates

Feb 15th UPDATE

Updated (thanks Netkas) AppleSMBIOS.kext in "archive" download

1. Time Machine
  2. 8800GT 512MB
  3. 8111B LAN

see bottom for Files

Feb 14th UPDATE

I am going to start doing some updates to this guide as I have been deep in the rabbit hole coming up with solutions and little bug fixes. First off, if you are using a guide such as this, and you have a network with real macs, pcs, etc and you read your logs, you will have seen errors and also experienced issues browsing networks and communicating with dot mac. If so, please see this thread for some answers:

LAN THREAD

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

I am now removing this file and that has been updated in the instructions below

Nvidia 8800GT 512 update!

Since updating to 10.5.2 - which I highly recomend... my xbench scores are up 10% or more across the board and of course there is better support for the 8800 series cards... attached is a pretty decent NVinject that I am currently using... feel free to try it out NVinject.kext.zip

Networking update:

I am still having issues with AFP and Bonjour (as I have found, I am not alone on both Hacks and Real Macs). I have tried this file, along with some other solutions floating around. While my SMB networking is perfect, my Bonjour and AFP are not. If you know of a better solution, please let me know:

****I resolved all my LAN issues by installing a cheap 8169 based network card...see my signature for model. The 8169 is natively supported in 10.5.x

RealtekR1000.zip

10.5.2 update:

In case you missed it... how could you miss it!!! here is the 10.5.2 howto ... its great, just take your time and follow the directions:

More updates to follow...

Mar 7th UPDATE

My system is running great and performing much better than my Kalyway install. I'm really happy with it. I have read in the forum that using more than 3.5GB of Memory in a Hackintosh could cause a Kernal Panic, so I put this to the test! Lets see if I can crash this baby!

I tried to crash my system tonight. It was not easy, but I finally did it when the system ran out of memory at around 3.9GB of memory being used. To do this, I literally opened every program in Applications, a bunch of utilities and then haha... I allocated 2GB of memory to VMWARE XP, then turned on Office 2008, and THEN cranked up some iTunes and things were running really nicely. Then I did what I knew would crash it. I have noticed that "GRAB" freezes my Kalyway install quick, I don't even have to open any programs. So I turned it on and took a screen shot, and it worked! I even saved it to my iDisk which froze up only the grab program and then unfroze after connecting with iDisk. I was still able to type 13e4kklqsdk into WORD and 123134523 into EXCEL, music cranking. Then I tried to take a second screen shot and freezer city. I just ordered 4 more GB of memory.. I'll have it in a week and then will test some more.

**the only thing that was crashing my system was my bad GFX card which was RMA'd**

My opinion is that it's rock solid stable... it was not easy to crash and the only thing that would crash it crashes my Kalyway with no programs open. If was running at 3.85 for 30 minutes with no issues...

[/b][/u]

I have updated instructions in the last section for those who have different motherboards or who want a ultra vanilla install. My objective is to help you do a clean install from a retail DVD that WORKS! If you have a different mobo, then you will follow the alternate instructions in section 4 and then have to do your homework about your LAN, sound, video. What is great about this is that you can study the EFI strings and make the most vanilla mod to your install without running strange installers or deleting files, and adding lots of kexts that are not necessary. The reason that most pre-compiled solutions fail is that they try to replace to many files leaving your install incompatible with your hardware. That is why I go for as Vanilla a setup as possible, removing as little as possible so you get a boot the first time! Then you can research YOUR sound, YOUR LAN, your VIDEO (like you did in Windows) and get specific solutions Up until section four, everyone will be doing the same thing. At section 4, I have you will follow the alternative solution, section 4a. I can not promise that your specific mobo will work, but if its modern (P965, P35, X38 and Dual Core Processor), then it should work.

Another good idea is that once you have done your basic install, make an ISO of that drive, so you can quickly do a restore if any of your post install mods fubar your system.

Aug 11 Current Update:

I have had some time to get up to speed on the community and explore new EFI options, new install methods, updated kexts, and more streamlined scripts. I am about 20 installs deep right now and putting my notes together. I am going to put forth a new guide soon including some of the newer techniques. I want to do some more testing and will be posting in the near future. See for 10.5.4 below. I AM LOOKING FOR TESTERS .. PM ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED - THANKS

Aug 3 Current Update:

Just got back into town from holiday, its been a long one. There was a fire at my office where my hack is located, but luckily nobody and nothing got damaged. I am going to be heading into the office on Monday and will do some research in my usual spaces and then update the guide. :)

June 23 Current Update:

Install Pack v.3 (includes personal SMBIOS/AppleHDA, updated advanced guide, 10.5.3 instructions, cleaned up)

V3

Aug 22:

Ma Current v4.1 (modbin 9.4 Kernel) Rig:

My v3 (TOH 9.2 Kernel) install method works very well for me but I have chosen to upgrade to v4 (today). The system runs great under v4. Reboot, Shutdown, Sleep, Drives, speed, etc are all great. I can only find one problem and its an old one. The screensaver does not password lock when monitor goes to sleep. I believe this is an issue with my BIOS, I need to mess with it and I have not had time to do so. The work around is to log out and then in again upon reboot. After that, the screensaver password works perfectly. The other solution is to use the modbin 9.4 kernel. I have choosen to run the modbin kernel until i have time to troubleshoot. I had the same problem with Vanilla kernel in v3 and I used the TOH 9.2 kernel to resolve. So after some testing of v4, I update and present v4.1. The kernel choice is up to you, just modify the post-patch. If everything works under v4 with Vanilla for you, great. If you find the screen won't lock then switch to the modbin and enjoy. I suggest you try both and see how it works for you. An easy way to switch between Kernels if you want to be lazy is with PCWIZs tool HERE My xbench score is exactly the same under vanilla or modbin - there is no noticeable difference as far as I can see. If anyone out there has a solution to screensaver lock under vanilla kernel, please post and I will make it a part of my guide with full credit of course.

pics

about.tiff

hardware.tiff

graphics.tiff

bluetooth.tiff

mem.tiff

ethernet.tiff

3870.tiff

Many thanks to you high level talking guys for no help :gun: I figured it out myself.

Respect to:

Socal Swimmer - Helping me choose the right board and writing a bang up great guide using Brazil

karaakeha1 - good idea, great BIOS section

Geeze - for bringing some clarity to LS8

LS8

HINT!

Monitor your console and activity monitor to get a pulse on your system and where you can work on improving performance

Install Pack with scripts, EFI strings, Netkas sleep kernel, etc:

Install Pack v.2

Install Files:

FilePack3

Files and Tools:

PCWIZ GigabyteP35 Control Center

Time Machine:

Time_Machine_Fix.zip

NVIDIA 8800 GT:

8800GT_512.zip

ATI 3870 Natit:

Natit.kext.tar.bz2.zip

LAN Realtek 8111B:

Realtek_8111B_LAN.zip

EFI String kit 1:

EFI_KIt.zip

Audio Pack:

HDA_and_Dump.zip

Archive_2.zip

Long Time Listen: is sleep, reboot and shutdown working with this MoBo and this method?
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...uctID=2745,2747did you look up the specs on our mobos? If you did, you would realize they are the same except for a small change in the PCIe Interface.reboot and shutdown are working well, have not tested sleep as I don't sleep my computers. My real macs don't even like sleep.I will go ahead and test sleep out and add my results
Is the sound fully working, including 5.1 out and digital? What about line in and mic in?
As I stated in my guide, this method is for the cleanest (vanilla) install possible. With that said, my sound works fine. Whether its 5.1 digital, I have no idea because I don't have digital speakers to test that out.As far as the mic, I have a USB headset which worked fine in Skype. As far as the mic jack, I don't have a mic to test it, but I hear it should work if you have my board.If you have digital speakers, then please test it and let us know. I only have two speakers and they worked very well. again.. this is a vanilla retail install that you can add to or take away from based on your specific board and needs. For me, its almost all I need. I just need to add video and I'm set. You are going to have to do your homework and find out what you need for your specific board. Think of this method (4a) as a solid working platform to build your own personal install off of.
Hey -- thanks for the hard work on this detailed guide. I'll try it this weekend.
good luck! add your specs to your signature :)Under My Controls
Cheers! Long Time Listen...Great and very detailed guide.Now I'm more inclined to give my retail DVD install efforts another go.Thanks!
You can dooooo it!!!

I'm considering a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4. I'm thinking that it would work with your guide as there is no big difference between the DS3P and DS4. Maybe with the newest v2.1 that came out.

I'm waiting with it when the Intel Q9300 will come out. I'll stick with my 7800GT 256MB that should work 100% with Leo as I heard...

Great work LongTimeListen!

I'm considering a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4. I'm thinking that it would work with your guide as there is no big difference between the DS3P and DS4. Maybe with the newest v2.1 that came out.

I'm waiting with it when the Intel Q9300 will come out. I'll stick with my 7800GT 256MB that should work 100% with Leo as I heard...

Great work LongTimeListen!

From what I can see on the Gigabyte site, most of the P35 boards are relatively the same. The DS4 is a nice board... but I'm really happy with mine, no complaints at all.

Let me know how it goes... really jealous about the Q... i will have to upgrade in 6 months :rolleyes:

From what I can see on the Gigabyte site, most of the P35 boards are relatively the same. The DS4 is a nice board... but I'm really happy with mine, no complaints at all.

Let me know how it goes... really jealous about the Q... i will have to upgrade in 6 months :(

Yeah I think you're correct looking at the GIGA site.

GREAT Guide BTW!! I'm getting a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 which looks virtually identical the rev2.1 specifically to try this out. Will report back in a week. ;)

Let me know how it goes... really jealous about the Q... i will have to upgrade in 6 months :P

Well I've got a 'poor' AMD64 3700+ (San Diego core) and I'm following this Hackintosh thing for a while now and with the coming for all those Q's I'm interesting in making such a Hackintosh.

It will be an Intel E2160, E8400 or Q9300 :D My gaming mind says 'go for the E8400' but my application mind says 'go for the Q9300' and my dutch mind says 'the E2140 is the best value for $'. So i'm a bit confused :wacko:

Also I would take a WD Raptor 36.7GB or 73.4GB to boot OSX and make a 2x 160GB RAID1 to save data.

What do you guys think?

What a wonderful guide!

Long Time Listen I have sent you a PM ;-)

Bye!

In regards to MBR... MBR will work fine with this method if you want to Dual Boot. Just choose MBR as your option when setting up your partition, remember that GUID will be used by default so you have to change that option in Disk Utility.

I will add something about that to guide in the next few days.

Thank you!

Good Luck! :wacko:

In regards to MBR... MBR will work fine with this method if you want to Dual Boot. Just choose MBR as your option when setting up your partition, remember that GUID will be used by default so you have to change that option in Disk Utility.

I will add something about that to guide in the next few days.

Thank you!

Good Luck! ;)

Thank you!

But...is the code to install efi the same even if I have a mbr partition?

Thanks for the answer!

Bye!

Hi,

My report on the install,

i've got it till almost the end, untill i have reach 4a and error filr not found came up...

i have replace your Kext's folder with ls8's and follow the 4a step and got error,

redo the 4a step again and same error...

I try reboot and black srceen with file not found error...

just wondering if you kext folder is the same as ls8's folder?

If it's the same thing i will try it again with your original kext folder.

thanks.

Hi,My report on the install,i've got it till almost the end, untill i have reach 4a and error filr not found came up...i have replace your Kext's folder with ls8's and follow the 4a step and got error,redo the 4a step again and same error...I try reboot and black srceen with file not found error...just wondering if you kext folder is the same as ls8's folder?If it's the same thing i will try it again with your original kext folder.thanks.
Lets figure that out... what part in section 4a? or the whole thing? Are you sure your paths are correct? (sorry to ask you such a basic question)Am standing by to help you. yes, they are the same I believe.Before starting step 4a, did you remember to navigate back to your EFI folder?cd /cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/Desktop/EFI/
I got the GA-P35-DS3L, will your kexts work for me? This board is 100% supported by Kalyway.
You need to go and do your research before coming here, this is not a hardware discussion thread... its more advanced than that. I suggest you study the boards, what they are made of and then you will have your answers good luck

I was just asking if there are any serious differences between your board and mine....christ.

Have you been to gigabyte's website? The answers are all over the place, as I stated in my post, this is not a hardware buying discussion... just trying to keep on topic. dont be offended.

I got the GA-P35-DS3L, will your kexts work for me? This board is 100% supported by Kalyway.
Yes I have the same board revision 2.0 tried it earlier tonight and it worked great one thing though if you want the lowest temperatures possible with your CPU then you should delete the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and AppleThermal.kext in the Extensions directory where you are deleting the others, on my board these caused my CPU to run ~10C hotter than without them perhaps this could be added to the guide. If you want the audio to work then I needed to get the HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip file then extract and use the Kext Helper 7 that you can copy from the Kalyway disk to install the files or I have attached attached the audio the Helper is too big to do so.HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip

cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

You Have a typo it should be Desktop other than that the guide worked great, thanks.

Thank you!

But...is the code to install efi the same even if I have a mbr partition?

Thanks for the answer!

Bye!

<BR>1. Open Terminal<BR><BR>2. Type the following commands (think here, remember to change the variables which are underlined) :<BR><BR>sudo –s (Enter)<BR><BR>cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)<BR><BR>./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8 (Enter)<BR><BR>dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1 (Enter)<BR><BR>dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

I think that to install efi on mbr partition I have to ignore the last two line, isn't it?

But, how can make it bootable?

On the readme of efi pc v_80 it's written:

- Advanced installation --- For Multi-Booting systems ---

Install GRUB Bootloader

copy boot_v8 anywhere on: fat32/reiserfs/xfs/ext2/ext3/ntfs/any partition supported by grub

Add entry to your menu.lst such as the following:

title Darwin

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/boot_v8

Where:

hd0,0 is the partition where you copied boot_v8 and

/boot is the path where you copied boot_v8

After GRUB loads, choose Darwin and press enter - you will have 5 seconds to select the hard drive with osx on it , 80 - first, 81 - second, 82 - third and so on.

If no key is pressed during 5 seconds, it will start booting the default drive.

- Easy installation --- For Single-Booting systems ---

Create directory iamefi in the root folder of your boot osx disk.

Copy all included files into it

Boot in Single User mode by mashing F8 key during boot (right after bios POST) type -s and press enter

Then enter the following commands

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8

reboot

Whereas rdiskXsX is the partition where your OSX install is (you can check that out on Disk Utility in OSX)

Is that a working way?

I want to dual boot with windows XP 32bit using darwin bootloader...which way have I to follow?

Thank you!

Bye!

Update 2,

Successfully Installed!

I think there might be a problem with the file i have replace...

But by using your archive, I had successfully install the retail flawlessly.

Thanks!

Note: Shutdown not working on my mobo.

Need more test, will report soon.

Update 2,

Successfully Installed!

I think there might be a problem with the file i have replace...

But by using your archive, I had successfully install the retail flawlessly.

Thanks!

Note: Shutdown not working on my mobo.

Need more test, will report soon.

I have my settings at S1 and 4 second delay in the BIOS Power Management with this shutdown works you want to check for these.

<BR>1. Open Terminal<BR><BR>2. Type the following commands (think here, remember to change the variables which are underlined) :<BR><BR>sudo –s (Enter)<BR><BR>cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)<BR><BR>./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8 (Enter)<BR><BR>dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1 (Enter)<BR><BR>dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

I think that to install efi on mbr partition I have to ignore the last two line, isn't it?

But, how can make it bootable?

On the readme of efi pc v_80 it's written:

Is that a working way?

I want to dual boot with windows XP 32bit using darwin bootloader...which way have I to follow?

Thank you!

Bye!

No one?

Yes I have the same board revision 2.0 tried it earlier tonight and it worked great one thing though if you want the lowest temperatures possible with your CPU then you should delete the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and AppleThermal.kext in the Extensions directory where you are deleting the others, on my board these caused my CPU to run ~10C hotter than without them perhaps this could be added to the guide. If you want the audio to work then I needed to get the HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip file then extract and use the Kext Helper 7 that you can copy from the Kalyway disk to install the files or I have attached attached the audio the Helper is too big to do so.HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zipYou Have a typo it should be Desktop other than that the guide worked great, thanks.

Thanks... d changed to D

glad it worked for you, let me know how stable it runs for you