[HowTo] Broadcom wireless cards in 10.4.3

DrJohn

41 posts in this topic

*** Re-Edit *** Brain-fart. Had it right the first time. Arrrrgh stupid cp confuses me too much by changing behavior depending on whether you put a slash at the end of your directory name. Example.

cp -R Foo/ Bar/ Puts any contents of Foo/ into directory Bar/

However, cp -R Foo Bar/ puts the directory Foo into directory Bar.

So, the first gives you /bar/junk from foo/ The second gives you /Bar/Foo/junk from foo/

*** EDIT *** First post was WRONG. If you followed the instructions for copying IO80211Family.kext into your Extensions folder you would NOT have installed it correctly. I have marked it with an arrow.

This was found in another thread, but it took me a LONG time to find it. First, you must have one of the broadcom wireless cards. I am using the Motorola wpci80211g card from RadioShack, model 4320. You do the IO80211Family.kext fix, which goes like this: Unzip the 10.4.4 kext package (Search google, that's where I found it.)

Open a terminal, cd to the directory where IO80211Family.kext is located. Make sure you're not in a Windows partition, or else you can't put the permissions how you need it.

Here comes the code

cd IO80211Family.kext

cd Contents

cd Plugins

cd AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

cd Contents

nano Info.plist

Here you want to add a line <string>pci14e4,4320</string>, replacing the 4320 with your own model number. You can find your model number in Windows XP Device Manager if you know where to look.

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

--> <string>pci14e4,4320</string>

</array>

Now you need to change the owner and group to root:wheel

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

I think that's the right number of cds, to be sure type ls IO802* and see if IO80211Family.kext shows up.

Now change the permissions.

sudo chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext

Now move it to your Extensions folder

sudo cp -R IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Now reboot, you should see the white baseball diamond next to your clock.

Now do this in a terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

---> <string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

---> <integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

If they are already set to en1 and 1, then that's not your problem and I don't know how to help you.. But for me, then when I rebooted, I was able to configure AirPort in a snap. BTW, in nano, to exit and save the file, just press Ctrl-X, then if the filename printed there is correct, just press enter. I'm on a standard PC keyboard, so Ctrl may be something else on a mac keyboard, I have no idea. I still can't figure out WTF is a ? ? ?. BTW, if you can't see those, it's a funny T, Cloverleaf, Apple. Needless to say, I'm posting this in Safari!!! WOO! Been trying to get some networking on here for 4 days nonstop. GIGGLE!

EDIT: Removed attachment violating DMCA

Excellent, helpful post.

Unfortunately, I'm having issues. Not with the process or the info or anything, it's just being wonky.

If I do a ioreg -l | grep 'pci14e4' to grab the compatible revision # from my card, I get pci14e4,4325. All fine and good. I googled getting Microsft Broadcom-based cards and it confirms this. It also lists another compatible device ID as pci1414,4. Just to be safe, I tried each individually and together.

No worky!

On boot, IO80211Family.kext doesn't load. I can manually do a kextload and it says that things are ok and the kext loads, but I don't really know enough to try and manually get the interface up and going.

Any suggestions?

WOW thanks a mucho DrJohn

your step by step tutorial and the attached kext really works.... now let me look for a hotspots to confirm connection... i can already configure airport and the diamond icon near the system clock shows and osx86 detect the new hardware on Acer travelmate 2410 lappy

Hi

I did exactly as you described. But I do not have a IOPCI80211 ... Only IO802.

Anyway, my card is detected. It is en1 because I have a regular nic too. All is well ..but it doesnt find any networks, the light doesnt come on (laptop), etc.

At boot I get this error: Error: WirelessCreateScanResults()=88001003

Please help me!

Its a 4318 chip in an Acer 5024wmli laptop.

Thanks!

I have a Linksys WRT54G12

It has a broadcom chipsit with the id's

Linksys WPC54G V1.2 Broadcom

VEN14e4

DEV_4320

and i used the kext u included. When i edit the kext and put in the extentions folder and reboot, i don't see the white baseball diamond next to my clock. So that's already going wrong.

I have 3 network options on my Laptop (acer 5670) and i can't get any of them to work.

The Linksys WPC54G

VEN14e4

DEV_4320

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG

Ven_8086

Dev_4222

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit

Ven_14e4

Dev_169D

Any help?

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

---> <string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

---> <integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

If they are already set to en1 and 1, then that's not your problem and I don't know how to help you..

You only have to do this step if your onboard ethernet isn't detected or you only have one network interface (the wireless one). The process that does the "baseball diamond" signal strength meter is stupid and always assumes the wireless interface to be the 2nd interface in the laptop, so it only works if the interface is en1.

*If your onboard (wired) ethernet is already working you shouldn't have to do this step*

op

What OhPossum said. If you have other networking cards, it may not be listed as en0, and I don't have any clue what OS X is doing with more than two network cards.... JaccoH, if you don't have the !)80211Family.kext , that's why I attached it to my post!

TheMessiah, try....hmmm.. is it safe of me to assume the Intel wireless is an integrated wifi? You might try disabling it in your BIOS, and use the broadcom. I know nothing about the 3945, but I BET it's a broadcom.... I'm not sure, but 4222 sounds suspiciously like a broadcom id, only rebadged.. And as for your gigabit, there's a topic somewhere I think says it's supported. In fact, try this: Right click this Info.plist once you download it. Click Get Info. On name and extension, take .txt off the end. (BTW, it seems odd to be unable to upload plists) If Owner: Acces: Group: Access: Others: is not at the bottom, click the triangle next to details. Then change Group and Others to Read only, change the Group to Wheel, change the Owner to System. If there is a closed padlock, click it to open it, or else you can't change the permisssions. It may also ask you for your password. Put your password in. Blah blah. Then open /System/Library/Extensions/ Right-click IONetworkingFamily.kext click Show Package Contents, Double-Click Contents, Double-Click Plugins, Right-Click AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, Click Show Package Contents, Double click Contents, and drop the Info.plist in there. Click Authenticate, then click Replace, then type your password. Hopefully it will work for you, if I set the Info.plist to the right encoding. I don't know what encoding they system expects to see on plists. If that was too hard to follow (IT was hella hard to run through and type it), I can also give you terminal commands (Which for me, are easier to follow.)

Info.plist.txt

DrJohn

I do have IO80211Family.kext ofcourse... how else would it detect my card? Just not IOPCI80211Family that your little manual is talking about here.

Yes, you're right. I did make a type and I should have siad IO80211Family.kext I had been mucking around with AppleI386PCI.kext too much, trying to get it to compile on xcode 2.2 I wonder where they changed the headers so info was undeclared? What to use instead of the info function, lol but that's not what this is about, and I'm editing my howto right now.

I don't know, JaccoH, if it's detecting as en1 but not working, I really don't know, but searching for this error I found some posts of people whose Apple notebooks were crashing... does this wireless work with windows? If not, maybe the card is dead? Or maybe your OS X install is damaged somehow and you should reinstall maybe... :/

• 2 weeks later...

Dell 5100 laptop with Truemobile 1400 wireless card (hardware ID 4324).

Used the following method to get the wireless to work.

--Obtained IO80211Family.kext by searching "Extensions and ATI drivers from osx86 10.4.4 Intel Restore disk" on popular bittorrent site

--Dragged and dropped IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.4 to /System/Library/Extensions/ (no need to edit any files; the hardware ID i needed (4324) was already in the file)

--Ran the following lines of code in Terminal:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
reboot

After the reboot, it worked!

DrJohn, I'm using your guide, and I have no idea on what to do after I add:

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

I'm completely lost as to what you have to do after that. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I'm posting from Firefox in Mac right now. :P

BTW, what's better Firefox or Safari?

I have Acer Aspire 3022 I have Relatek LAN (works) and Broadcom 4318 wireless.

After plist edit (IO80211Family.kext) Airport recognised, but not works....

Dependency error

AppleAirPortBrcm4311:

Version: 1.0

Last Modified: 1/16/06 12:15 PM

Get Info String: 1.0, Copyright © 2006 Apple Computer, Inc., All Rights Reserved

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

kext Version: 100.9

Load Address: 0x243bc000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext is modified

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x311)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 100.9 (3.120.28.3)

Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Please help !!!!!

• 3 months later...

Confused to no end on instructions -- not a programmer and don't know Unix very well, don't even know what the cd's mean in your instructions... not even sure if my wireless will work... on HP DV1000 series with Intel® PRO/Wireless 220BG Network Connection for wireless. I know it does something with Broadcom wireless drivers when installing XP on here, so does that mean it's Broadcom and will work? Sorry I have no idea here!

Thanks so much for explaining, you can PM me or email at AuggieFisher@gmail.com or reply to this!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten this to work for BCM4301 (Dell Truemobile 1180 miniPCI on Inspiron 8200)?

Followed the proper steps (I'm using osx86 10.4.4) but still doesn't work..

Also, if anyone can give me the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily.kext, please pm me (so I can at least get my wired ethernet working)

Thanks!

Hey akhanf,

I'm about to PM you the kext right now. Does it need to be modified or is a regulat one ok? I have a copy of the regular one so I will send it, but if anyone else knows that it needs to be modified and my n00bness is making me mess up, send him the modified one cuz I'm just sending regular, it's all I have.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys, I was wondering... Will this work in 10.4.6/7 Update by JaS? If I copy old 10.4.3 kexts? And also, wil lthe broadcom 4309 card work, or what, which one specifically works, and for an HP DV1000 (DV1440 US to be specific).. thanks! (I will swap out Intel 2200 for Broadcom if I can!)