Stupid Easy Leopard/Vista dual boot

14 posts in this topic

This works with Vista x86 or x64. If you are a newbie start here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89659

YOU MUST !!!! have two separate drives for this method- not one drive partitioned !.

1. Boot with Kalyway dvd. Open Disk Utility. Click partition tab.

2. Partition: OSX drive - format as one partition/mac osx extended journaled - options choose GUID (though mbr should work).

Vista drive - format as one partition/ntfs - options mbr.

3. Install Kalyway with EFI GUID checked in options. Reboot OSX -make sure it works. If it doesn't work - Make sure correct drive is selected in bios and is marked active. (See other tutorials on how to mark a drive active - search)

4. VERY IMPORTANT - Unplug OSX drive !!!!.

5. Install vista. (option - you can delete the partition and reformat with the Vista dvd if you would like) After install check to make sure Vista works.

6. Plug in OSX drive. Make sure correct drive is selected in bios and is marked active.

Done. Hit f8 right after bios for darwin bootloader. You should get the darwin bootloader with two drive options - OSX and blank. Click blank for Vista. Click again to reboot. (search com.apple.Boot.plist for options to edit darwin bootloader)

It's always a good idea to repair permissions and update prebinding after install. (search)

In terminal "diskutil repairPermissions /" & "sudo update_prebinding -root / -force" no quotations

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Works perfectly.

The thing with darwin bootloader would not work for me, so i selected the Vista HDD in Bios, and installed Easy BCD 1.7 (or so). Now i can select what i want to boot, using the Vista Bootloader.

Thank you sooo much :-) (I've tried this whole dualboot thing now for over 10 hours)

Thanks! Works perfectly.

The thing with darwin bootloader would not work for me, so i selected the Vista HDD in Bios, and installed Easy BCD 1.7 (or so). Now i can select what i want to boot, using the Vista Bootloader.

Thank you sooo much :-) (I've tried this whole dualboot thing now for over 10 hours)

Glad it worked for you. I just edited the instructions. I think this part will help.

Hit f8 right after bios for darwin bootloader. You should get the darwin bootloader with two drive options - OSX and blank. Click blank for Vista. Click again to reboot. (search com.apple.Boot.plist for options to edit darwin bootloader)

(See other tutorials on how to mark a drive active)

Im sorry to sound like a dumb ass but could you point me in the right direction, i have been looking about this forum and i cant seem to find it!!

It's always a good idea to repair permissions and update prebinding after install. (search)

(In terminal "diskutil repairPermissions /" & "sudo update_prebinding -root / -force") no quotations

Again sorry wat is terminal?

Hi,

No matter what i do this will not work, i have tryed your method, devilhoods method, and the method iAtkos suggests, i have tryed the iAtkos v1 and tryed it with all the updates and patches you can apply, i have tryed kalyways dvd's, nothing works.

I have emailed devilhood, kalyway and posted in the forums, but they seem to be incapable of pointing me in the right direction, i dont get what the problem is i have some of the best equipment available on the market and this will not work, i guess this just proves how limited MAC's are.

I was a MAC hater before i tryed this and as i said i have been trying this for about 3-4 weeks now and it still dont work. I actually wanted to stop myself hating them so much but its kinda back firing!!

No matter what method i try (ignoring the dual boot!!) i can prep a totally separate harddisk for the MAC install, unplug everything other then my DVD drive and the prepared Hard Disk for OSX, and no matter what DVD (iAtkos or Kalyway) when i run the setup (with -v) it just stops and tells me that "cannot find root device"

I dont get the problem, the drive is there, it is plugged in, it is formatted for OSX. it should work.

I know that this has something to do with my nForce board, but i have seem people on this forum with the Same EVGA board as me and they have it working. With regards to this, iAtkos, Kalyway and devilhood all mention that "you need to inject the nforce drivers into the DVD" but im sure that i have applyed each update in chronological order and tryed the install each time with the same effect.

From what i can see, the DVD's dont work, the updates dont work, and peoples described methods dont work. I have read every page i can find about this, i am not a lazy person and i do my research but i find that no-one is willing to help, this is kind of infuriating as i have followed every compliance in the forum rules, i have read everything i can find, i have not made rubbish posts asking repeating questions.

It is like banging my head off a brick wall.

My system config is below, can someone please help:

All hard disks are sata, DVD drive is IDE

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, Socket 775, 2.66 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache Link

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 NF680i SLI, S775, PCI-E(x16) MoBo Link

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Link

Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator TwinX Link

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series Link

2 x 74 GB Western Digital WD740ADFD Raptor, SATA I, 10000 rpm, 16MB Cache (Striped RAID) (Vista Installed Here) Link

80 GB Western Digital WD800AAJS Caviar SE, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache (Not in an array - stand alone drives) Link

Sorry, I made a mistake, I thought F8 relates to motherboard which lets you choose a boot up disk.

Now I know that the F8 you mention is the F8 you see in the Mac bootloader

Since we are dual boot on separate disks.

Can we use the bootloader of Vista and use chain0 to boot leopard?

I am gonna try this when my new drive arrives.

I used to use chain0 method on my old rig with xp and leopard, It works flawlessly.

Not sure any changes will Vista bring me.

I guess not all the Motherboards have F8 function.

Since we are dual boot on separate disks.

Can we use the bootloader of Vista and use chain0 to boot leopard?

I am gonna try this when my new drive arrives.

I used to use chain0 method on my old rig with xp and leopard, It works flawlessly.

Not sure any changes will Vista bring me.

Chain0 doesn't work well with Vista because of Vista's new bootloader. The *simplest* way to dual boot is install OSX first, then Vista and use "EasyBCD" to create a Mac entry in the bootloader. If you want to use the darwin bootloader and make OSX your default OS, that's much trickier because of how Vista complains when the mbr is changed or destroyed - its an optional check that *NO ONE* has ever used to boot into an OS except with Microsoft's Vista. Gee, thanks Redmond...

wow guys it's not that hard...use an EFI capable system like vista (x86 or x64) and Darwin bootloader(AKA the emulated EEPROM/BIOS) detects available EFI supported OS's///

so yeah it's that simple.