NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

Here you can find the newest ATA kext driver for nforce pata/sata chipsets.

This has been tested and is know to work on the ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA motherboard.

Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors.

I have not tested this driver under leo, but it should work without problems.

Sources are not attached, if someone needs them, please pm me.

Here, some xbench results:

System Info		
			   Xbench Version		1.3
			   System Version		10.4.10 (8R2218)
			   Physical RAM		1024 MB
			   Model		ACPI
			   Drive Type		Maxtor 6V200E0
		   Disk Test	66.80	
			   Sequential	129.43	
				   Uncached Write	135.91	83.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Write	128.72	72.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	117.43	34.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	137.70	69.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			   Random	45.02	
				   Uncached Write	16.62	1.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Write	111.64	35.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	85.66	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
				   Uncached Read	124.17	23.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Please, report here ONLY if the drive is working or not (if you want to thank me, you'll find my paypal address in the firm :D )

UPDATE 23-dec-2007:

I've fixed the driver because it was not handling atapi drive(s). The detection mechanism should be much fast now, however it will slow down a bit the boot process when trying to detect drive(s) on an empty channel. (i'll try to fix this in the next release).

This kext should also resolve the "still waiting for root device".

User with MCP55 chipset: please test this kext and report if it is working!

A little note: maybe native NCQ can be implemented on this driver. I'll look better at the sata_nv sources and try to implement it in the next (maybe last) version. Also, please note that this is just a challenge to me, and it's also probably that i'll never implement it in order to help other people with other drivers (eth, sound, etc).

UPDATE 31-dec-2007:

I've re-fixed the driver. Some users where still not detecting sata and/or pata drives, so this version should solve some problems. Below, a list of device+vendor id for supported pata/sata chipsets by this kext:

PATA: 0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de

SATA: 0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de

Know AHCI SATA enabled chipset device+vendor id: 0x044c10de 0x044d10de 0x044e10de 0x044f10d 0x055010de 0x055110de 0x055210de 0x055310de 0x056010de 0x055410de 0x058410de

Know AHCI PATA chipsets device+vendor id: 0x056010de 0x056010de 0x056c10de 0x075910de

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI SATA enabled chipsets" then you CANNOT USE THIS KEXT!

If your chipset is in the "Know AHCI PATA enabled chipsets" then you can try to use this kext for the pata handling, but this is not tested, so try at your own risk!

If you have a device/vendor id that isn't in this list, please send me a pm.

UPDATE 11-jan-2008:

Source released to the public.

NOTE: This project is far from being finished. I'm planning to separate the sata part from the pata, add ncq support, add raid support, maximize performances, ecc ecc.

However, i've little spare time, so don't start asking: "when we'll have xxx/yyy/zzz?" :)

UPDATE 29-feb-2008:

Attached a kext (AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip) that should fix the "sam multimedia error" on sata dvd drives.

Please, report if there are issues with pata drives (either hd or dvds).

Regards, Domenico.

AppleNForceATA.kext.zip

AppleNForceATA_sources.zip

AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip

Here you can find the newest ATA kext driver for nforce pata/sata chipsets.

This has been tested and is know to work on the ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA motherboard.

Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors.

I have not tested this driver under leo, but it should work without problems.

Sources are not attached, if someone needs them, please pm me.

Here, some xbench results:

System Info		
		  Xbench Version		1.3
		  System Version		10.4.10 (8R2218)
		  Physical RAM		1024 MB
		  Model		ACPI
		  Drive Type		Maxtor 6V200E0
	  Disk Test	66.80	
		  Sequential	129.43	
			  Uncached Write	135.91	83.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			  Uncached Write	128.72	72.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			  Uncached Read	117.43	34.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			  Uncached Read	137.70	69.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		  Random	45.02	
			  Uncached Write	16.62	1.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			  Uncached Write	111.64	35.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]
			  Uncached Read	85.66	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
			  Uncached Read	124.17	23.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Please, report here ONLY if the drive is working or not (if you want to thank me, you'll find my paypal address in the firm ;) )

Regards, Domenico.

Did you end up separating the drivers, or does this encompass the nforce sata mcp51?

**edit** I got an waiting for root device error, I deleted the original nforce ata from the entension.mkext and rebuilt it with this one..

I will try again and see maybe the original is needed to see the ATA DVDrom.....will report back :blink:

**Edit2** The files share the same name, no idea if renaming them will solve the issue...

Maybe Medevil can give me some advice.....does the new kext work ok with the ATA side of theMCP51 chipset? I have a HP DV6119us Laptop...thanks in advance

Did you end up separating the drivers, or does this encompass the nforce sata mcp51?

Nope, found the problem and fixed the previous nforce kext.

It's working OK in my rig, without the "bus blocking" error, but xbench results are worse than before...

I had 50-60 mb .. :)

xbench1uo5.png

What do you mean for "worse than before"? What driver you were using "before"?

**edit** I got an waiting for root device error, I deleted the original nforce ata from the entension.mkext and rebuilt it with

this one..

I will try again and see maybe the original is needed to see the ATA DVDrom.....will report back :P

**Edit2** The files share the same name, no idea if renaming them will solve the issue...

Maybe Medevil can give me some advice.....does the new kext work ok with the ATA side of theMCP51 chipset? I have a HP DV6119us Laptop...thanks in advance

You should delete previous AppleNForce*.kext left in:

/System/Library/Extensions/

/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

The kext in this topic can be placed in /System/Library/Extensions

If using leopard and still having troubles, then move the kext into the IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ directory.

Regards, MeDevil

for MCP51 work perfectly.. just replache and chown/chmod

also delete Extension.kext + extension.mkext in system/library

verified on HP Compaq Presario 6133 AMD machine

Turion 50

nForce Go 430

its a base motherboard for HP 2 yers old AMD notebooks

dont know if it works for newer

OSX 10.4.9

OSX 10.5.1 - place in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

And thank you MeDevil, also to your parents, producer, all crew...

I think, you seen Oscar Awards...........

anyhow this may helps you with sound - there should be some decompiler somewere.

Hercules1612FW_1_3.pkg.zip

I managed to install OSX on a HP Notebook with Nforce 410/430 (MCP51), used Tubgirl 10.4.10, OSX boots fine but is hell slow, and often there appears the error (even while booting):

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00

Every other AppleNforceATA.kext has been deleted, only using your new one.

Whats wrong?

I managed to install OSX on a HP Notebook with Nforce 410/430 (MCP51), used Tubgirl 10.4.10, OSX boots fine but is hell slow, and often there appears the error (even while booting):

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x02, ASCQ = 0x00

Every other AppleNforceATA.kext has been deleted, only using your new one.

Whats wrong?

Sorry, but i don't think this error is related to the kext driver...

there should be somthing else that is causing your notebook to be slower... (you can try searching the forums/google for that error...)

Regards, Domenico.

The kext in this topic can be placed in /System/Library/Extensions

If using leopard and still having troubles, then move the kext into the IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ directory.

Regards, MeDevil

I cannot get the system to boot to the graphical installer, how are the peeps with successful installs integrating this kext to the install DVD?

tried injecting into ToH-leopard dvd, and tubgirl Tiger. both hang at waiting for root device. Leopard probably wouldn't have worked anyway because my system is AMD, but the tiger dvd should have at least made it to the GUI install screen. (I've gotten to the GUI without the new kext, but couldn't see my drive.) The tiger dvd gives a SAM error trying to read the dvd. Maybe I'm not properly injecting the kext or something like that.

any suggestions?

hp dv6119us notebook pc

It hangs on my NForce 4 Ultra :)

It detects the 4 SATA drives and recognizes the boot device, thes hangs for a few seconds and the first message of the fisrt IDE port appears then hangs there forever, I place back the previous version.

EDIT:

Sorry to not mention, this happens on Leopard, I have no Tiger to test it for the moment.

Getting the "Still Waiting for root device" on 10.4.10....I'm on an MCP55

I did delete the previous AppleNForceATA.kext from the IOTATAFamily.kext...didn't have it in root extensions folder.

Putting the new kext in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns didn't change anything.

How can I inject this driver at my leopard-amd iso?

I don't have os x installed, there's a way to load this kexts at leopards installation?

I'm using Leopard-AMD-10.5.1.iso to install, I formated my partition in Linux using newfs_hfs patched to work on Linux, but when I'm in installation I'm having I/O error.

My specs.

00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)

Thanks for help.

for MCP51 work perfectly.. just replache and chown/chmod

also delete Extension.kext + extension.mkext in system/library

How did you do that? I tried a bunch of iso apps but none of those really worked. The only one which shows me the directories and files was Magic Iso but it couldn't write the changed iso. So I guess I can't change an osx86 ISO on Windows, can I?

What about Linux? Can I change the the tube iso on Linux/Knoppix?

Cheers,

Thanks Medevil for writing this. I tried it with the ToH Leopard disk, but I still got the waiting on root device error. However, I expected that the device id of my MCP55 chipset would be in, which was not. I'm gonna try now with the device id, and I think it should work. For any other person with the MCP55 chipset, first put the dev id (Mine is 0x026610de) in the info.plist. (So mcboobalot, I think you should try it too :D )

Again, thanks for this driver, and I will let you know the results.