An ALC888 success story!

stampers

35 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone on this great forum!

Right, to start off i'd jus like to let you know that this is my first ever topic on here, and i dont know too much about making a hackintosh but i managed to get mine (almost) working fully in two days from scratch.

If you , like me, are having trouble with the damn ALC888 sound drivers then i hope i can help you here.

The kit i have used for my Hackintosh consists of...

- Abit An-M2HD MOBO

- nForce6 chipset

- Realtek ALC888 onboard audio

- 4GB DDR2 800mhz Ram

- Radeon x1950 Pro 512mb Graphics Card PCI-E (set to 1280 x 1024 res on an LG 19" screen)

- 320GB Maxtor SATA HD

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor (running at 3.0Ghz)

- Uphuck / TubGirl 1.3 OSX86 10.4.9 Tiger

- LG DL DVD-RAM Drive

- Running Software - Logic Express 7, GarageBand, iMovieHD, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS2, Mac Office 2004, iTunes 7.5, Quicktime 7.3, Handbrake, DivX Video player/converter, and Toast Titanium 8.

**Just mentioning the system spec just in case anyone has problems with their version of any of the following and needs any help**

Anyway, enough about the system, down to more pressing matters...

To Install the ALC888 drivers for this version of the system, there are many options available but this is the only one that i found worked for me...

My findings are based on the following thread by Rammjet *Thanks alot for the help man!!!* It may essentially seem the same, but you have to make sure to repair permissions after everything else or it WILL NOT WORK.

Here you go...

The Guide by RAMMJET

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it (with some modifications):

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

Before doing anything, make sure you install the Azalia sound package with the Uphuck/TubGirl install disc....

1) Backup AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo mkdir audio_backup

sudo mv AppleHDA.kext audio_backup/

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0880</string>

Change <string>0x10ec0880</string> -- to -- <string>0x10EC0888</string>

Exit pico: press Ctrl + O to save and then Ctrl + X to exit

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x055C10DE</string>

(note: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then finally in the terminal type:

diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot and the sound should now be working!!!!!!

***The RED is what you MUST type into the terminal

***The GREEN is the vendor ID followed by the device ID (this is the code i found for my mobo through windows)

***The BLUE is the device ID followed by the vendor ID (this is the code i found for my mobo through windows)

To find your vendor and device ID for your soundchip, have a look at RAMMJET's thread here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642&hl=ALC888+audio - and you can even use his way of doing it, but it is not a definate working solution to ALC888 whereas this one is!

AND DONT USE ANY OTHER .kext FILES THAN THE AZALIA ONES INCLUDED WITH THE UPHUCK 1.3 INSTALLER!!

Now go listen to some heavy metal at top volume.... you know you want to :)

*If anyone has any problems with this, leave a comment and i will try to help.

Stampers :wallbash:

i have output sound for sure. no input sound at the moment. ill keep this updated when i do. constantly having a look around for hints and tips although still not seen a definate comment on anyones page saying they have got this to work using other techniques, let alone an input (or even an optical....yikes) but like i said, i'm currently working on that now. nice to see someone has read this tho...

• 2 weeks later...

just to chime in with my two cents:

these instructions verbatim got my Asrock conroe-d667-1333 MB sound working. None of the other fixes worked. I tried various patchers and kexts

other details:

mb bios has to be downgraded below 1.4 -- mine at 1.3

mb has an intel 945 northbridge

pentium 2140 processor

all sata drives

kalyway 10.5.1

--as near as I can tell, this setup works perfectly now. updates fine, all mb features work, etc...

the only caveat is that, due to all the other patches etc.. that I tried, there were a few places where my files had multiple listings where the instructions indicate there is only one. -- in these cases I just modified the first one on the line and left the others alone.

Thanks to everyone for providing all these solutions!

just to chime in with my two cents:

these instructions verbatim got my Asrock conroe-d667-1333 MB sound working. None of the other fixes worked. I tried various patchers and kexts

other details:

mb bios has to be downgraded below 1.4 -- mine at 1.3

mb has an intel 945 northbridge

pentium 2140 processor

all sata drives

kalyway 10.5.1

--as near as I can tell, this setup works perfectly now. updates fine, all mb features work, etc...

the only caveat is that, due to all the other patches etc.. that I tried, there were a few places where my files had multiple listings where the instructions indicate there is only one. -- in these cases I just modified the first one on the line and left the others alone.

Thanks to everyone for providing all these solutions!

Did you also get input working?

• 7 months later...

Find:

in my plist 10ec0880 string is 10ecffff .. :thumbsup_anim: i changed it anyway but not working as expected ...

• 1 month later...

Excellent work Stampers and Rammjet. You saved my sanity! Keep on searching for an input solution, we'll love ya for it!

p.s. my IOPCIPrimaryMatch code was 0x3A3E8086. I never actually tried the one you suggested, but used windows to find out my specific code. If anyone is having troubles, I'd suggest following Rammjet's guide and getting your exact code. It seems to differ, even within the ALC888 model.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I as well have been trying to get my ALC888 to work, and until now I had been unsuccessful.

By the way, I am using 10.5.5. Click Here. | 667 KB

These two files gave me audio, including digital, on my ALC888.

jefferson136, if you are ever in the Boston area, I am buying you a beer. I have tried everything to get my audio working, this worked for me! Where did you find these?

well i now have 2ch rear outputs working. though nothing shows up in Sound preferences, i can hear audio through my 5.1 ch speakers. i'd love to find a way to get 5.1 ch output + mic-in + front panel audio. if anyone knows how, let me know. i've got a Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 audio ID's are 10de0888 and 3a3e8086

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello to everyone on this great forum!

Right, to start off i'd jus like to let you know that this is my first ever topic on here, and i dont know too much about making a hackintosh but i managed to get mine (almost) working fully in two days from scratch.

If you , like me, are having trouble with the damn ALC888 sound drivers then i hope i can help you here.

The kit i have used for my Hackintosh consists of...

- Abit An-M2HD MOBO

- nForce6 chipset

- Realtek ALC888 onboard audio

- 4GB DDR2 800mhz Ram

- Radeon x1950 Pro 512mb Graphics Card PCI-E (set to 1280 x 1024 res on an LG 19" screen)

- 320GB Maxtor SATA HD

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor (running at 3.0Ghz)

- Uphuck / TubGirl 1.3 OSX86 10.4.9 Tiger

- LG DL DVD-RAM Drive

- Running Software - Logic Express 7, GarageBand, iMovieHD, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS2, Mac Office 2004, iTunes 7.5, Quicktime 7.3, Handbrake, DivX Video player/converter, and Toast Titanium 8.

**Just mentioning the system spec just in case anyone has problems with their version of any of the following and needs any help**

Anyway, enough about the system, down to more pressing matters...

To Install the ALC888 drivers for this version of the system, there are many options available but this is the only one that i found worked for me...

My findings are based on the following thread by Rammjet *Thanks alot for the help man!!!* It may essentially seem the same, but you have to make sure to repair permissions after everything else or it WILL NOT WORK.

Here you go...

The Guide by RAMMJET

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it (with some modifications):

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

Before doing anything, make sure you install the Azalia sound package with the Uphuck/TubGirl install disc....

1) Backup AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type:

sudo mkdir audio_backup

sudo mv AppleHDA.kext audio_backup/

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find:

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x055C10DE</string>

(note: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then finally in the terminal type:

diskutil repairpermissions /

Reboot and the sound should now be working!!!!!!

***The RED is what you MUST type into the terminal

***The GREEN is the vendor ID followed by the device ID (this is the code i found for my mobo through windows)

***The BLUE is the device ID followed by the vendor ID (this is the code i found for my mobo through windows)

To find your vendor and device ID for your soundchip, have a look at RAMMJET's thread here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642&hl=ALC888+audio - and you can even use his way of doing it, but it is not a definate working solution to ALC888 whereas this one is!

AND DONT USE ANY OTHER .kext FILES THAN THE AZALIA ONES INCLUDED WITH THE UPHUCK 1.3 INSTALLER!!

Now go listen to some heavy metal at top volume.... you know you want to ;)

*If anyone has any problems with this, leave a comment and i will try to help.

Stampers :(

Hello Stampers,

Clearly the task of getting audio to work is the biggest problem with Hackintoshes, with over 200 pages of mainly frustrated comments on Rammjet's thread!! I've had no luck either. Followed his and your guide, and believe it or not I now have mono audio coming from the on-board speaker in my HP pre-core machine. But nothing from the green line-out socket at the rear of the machine. Have you heard of this before? Any (printable!) suggestions? Currently I'm running Munky's EFI/retail dvd version 10.5 on an HP dx2300 desktop, where everything except the audio works brilliantly.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I as well have been trying to get my ALC888 to work, and until now I had been unsuccessful.

wohoo u saved my day jefferson136

after installed bunch of alc 888 drivers your file worked like an charm thank you so much ;)

my mainboard is Gigabyte GA-EP43C-DS3 ICH10 ALC888

• 3 weeks later...
wohoo u saved my day jefferson136

after installed bunch of alc 888 drivers your file worked like an charm thank you so much :P

my mainboard is Gigabyte GA-EP43C-DS3 ICH10 ALC888

What bios settings and install options did you choose?

I have a similar board, GA-EP43-UD3L.

• 1 month later...

I agree with aquanutz!!!! jefferson136 if you are ever in the LA area, i need to buy you a beer! I used the applehda kext and the hdaenabler kext and boom. got my sound back, i had it before, but i think i was missing the hdaenabler file.... thanx buddy... i only waisted 2 hours on this!

few tips:

boot flag = busratio=20

ipc 10.5.6 upgraded to 10.5.7

use efi strings for gfx card

ethernet: left everything unchecked, and ipc still installed automatically, and it worked. weird...

ICHR10 patch, on ipc

usb fix patch

restart patch

sound: used good ol jefferson136 archive file!!!!!

specs:

Intel Core i7 920

GA-X58-UD3R

PNY nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

wd 500gb caviar blue

4GB Crucial DDR3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You so much jefferson136

I downloaded the archive zip and installed both of the kext using Kext Helper, clicked the Easy Install button, restarted my system and now I have sound with my ALC888.

Again I say thank you!