Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

Here is a guide I wrote for instructions to write EFI 8 to your hackintosh and prepare a GUID formatted hard drive to be booted from your hackintosh... There is to methods pick one of the two that would work best for you... Read THE WHOLE guide do not just skim over it. If you do it could cost you many hours of reinstalling...

What are the benefits of GUID?

With a GUID partition scheme you can shrink your main hd add a partition, decide you dont need that partition anymore and delete then expand your main partition back to the way it was. You also get better system performance, not by alot but it is noticeable. You can also boot and unmodified retail leopard DVD and install from it, the retail leopard DVD will only allow leopard DVD to be installed on a GUID partitioned drive or Apple Partition map drive.

For this to work you need to have a Intel Core based CPU, EX. Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme. In some cases an Intel Celeron Dual-Core will work, It is a Core Duo with less L2 cache. In addition you need to have an Intel chipset.

If you have a BadAxe2 use This Guide Written By BJMoose

Method Number 1: The easier way (requires external HD)

Now we will begin....

-First to start to off make sure you can boot in to the external HD and tiger is running ok.

-You will want to back up any important files that are on your hard drive before hand. EVERY thing is going to be gone.

-Boot in to Tiger from the external HD and go a head and open disk utility, click your hard drive you are makeing a GUID then click the partition tab Click the drop down menu and click 1 Partition then click options, Select the GUID partition Table- Used to start up Intel Macintosh's... it will do its work..(If you want you can format to a Apple Partition Map... Either will work...)

6kkcbdd.jpg

86px08p.jpg

6yzjfjr.jpg

-Get the EFI v8 from The link at the bottom...

-From disk utility get the disk id's DONT ASSUME THEM WITH A GUID PARTITION TABLE THEY CHANGE!

mine is disk0s2

6utrqc0.jpg

-Unmount the partition(s) from disk utility then open terminal and type the commands as follows or use the shell below:

834507l.jpg

6kg9o29.jpg

sudo -s
*password*
cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v80
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
*at this point make sure all partitions are unmounted*
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

-After that you partition(s) should show up on the finder. Reboot to test and see if it was a success, it will say sys config com.apple.boot.plist not found or sumthing similar.

-Go Ahead and install as you normally would. EFI is installed still so you dont have to do any post patching!

Reminder:*Do not mess with boot flags with parted magic gparted or anything. EFI uses different little partitions to boot if you noticed there are 2 "Unallocated Space" that is really were all the EFI stuff and GUID things are held DONT MESS WITH THEM!*

Any help Post here.

Method Number 2: Starting with out Tiger or Leopard.

This way you will need to use the terminal and disk utility of the install DVD

Obtain the EFI file its now up to v8

Format your usb drive as FAT or FAT32 and Name it sumthing easy you can remember for this example im using 123.

Do all the same steps as follows above except do them in the leopard/tiger install DVD.

After you completed making them GUID even if you are in the install DVD you still need to unmount the partition so do so. When you enter the lines in terminal type this instead of whats above.

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

You can then continue to install leopard or tiger.

Dual-Booting...(Boot Camp, I_am...me's way)

With EFI V8.0 you can now boot NTFS and FAT32 Partitions. So after you get EFI v8 working you can go ahead and install windows, but only x64 XP or vista( :P guess its better than nuthing...) will work, since those are the only ones that have EFI support.

Simply take advantage of Disk Utilities Partitioner and make at least a 5gb partition first formatted with Mac OS Ext. i know that makes sense but it will only let you format to that first. Name it Boot Camp or windows...( if you get failing while partitioning reboot in single user mode and type the first line it says i beileve it is /sbin/fsck -fy and that will repair the disk and try partitioning again) after it is done exit out of disk utility and open it back up and click your new "Boot camp" partition and erase it and format it with MS-DOS(FAT) keep its name boot camp.Insert your install disk reboot and start installing you can re format the partition in vista to NTFS it wont hurt anything. After its done redo this command.

Now you have boot camp i_am...me's way! Mac OS X HAS to be the default boot since we cannot use Startup disk to tell the firmware(which we dont have) to boot windows...

This way i will only support with this partition being on the main disk, i will not help with 2 disks..

UPDATE: Added a .zip with all the essentials, updated EFI.sh and v8.0 of PC_EFI

Now includes a post patch! it has some modified kexts and some vanilla it has the vanilla kernel and paulicats Natit simply edit the .sh then place them on ur thumb drive and run the .sh

Links:

RapidShare

Z-Share

Media Fire

Mega Upload

Badongo

BEFORE YOU POST

I find that me and others are answering the same question over and over and over again.

Before you post your problem

Make sure you did the guide correctly and didnt miss a step.

If you are having boot problems and it just sits at the apple logo, start in verbose mode and see if you can trouble shoot it your self

If you are getting kernel panics. Do as i said above

If it says waiting on root device, thats a hardware problem and has nuthing to do EFI.

Common F.A.Q.

Q: Where do I download EFI?

A: You can download the current version 8 from any of the links above in the EFI pack. The EFI pack contains anything you will need from scripts to kexts.

Q: Can Windows be set to the default OS?

A: Yes there are other guides that can help you.

Q: What do I need to install EFI?

A: You need to have an intel chipset, intel core-based processor to take advantage of "vanilla" kexts, the EFI pack above, a usb thumb drive or external hard drive (to install leopard or tiger on to run commands from terminal) and a Tiger or Leopard install disk.

Q: Will this work with only leopard?

A: This can work with both tiger and leopard.

Q: I am getting kernel panics what could be the problem?

A: Most likely you didnt have the AppleEFIRuntime.Kext removed which is responsible for most kernel panics

I have not tested this with 10.5.2+!!! I do not have a hackintosh anymore as you can tell in my sig i have a real mac now and i got rid of my hackintosh, if you have gotten sucess with updating to 10.5.2 PLEASE post here and i will make a list of your hardware specs.... Thank you..

ok ill tryi this as i cant get efi to load from cd.

2 things can you rapidshare the efiv7 files plz

and what are things that will not work with GUID format. regards

they are on IRC, netkas.org

and only HFS+ filesystems will work...

No FAT32 Or NTFS windows dual booting yet...

If you do this procedure right before installation, you wouldn't need to use patched kernels or kexts... but you would still need AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext right? If true, then we would need a installation dvd without all those massive patchings... which one is a good one to use? or simply use pacifist to install the latest combo update?

If you do this procedure right before installation, you wouldn't need to use patched kernels or kexts... but you would still need AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext right? If true, then we would need a installation dvd without all those massive patchings... which one is a good one to use? or simply use pacifist to install the latest combo update?

I guess somebody will need to make a new DVD for this. In an ideal world, some kind of patcher that takes the Leopard DMG and patches it so it will boot on a Hackintosh would be great.

I guess somebody will need to make a new DVD for this. In an ideal world, some kind of patcher that takes the Leopard DMG and patches it so it will boot on a Hackintosh would be great.

I haven't tried this, but theoretically, one could edit the Brazilmac patch-9a581.sh file to not remove or replace anything, change the size to a DL disk size and that should give you a DL full Leopard installer that would install on a hackintosh with efi already installed. Any takers?

Nice guide, brother. I've suggested before to people to get a spare hdd with an install of Leopard or Tiger on it. It saves soo much time and headaches when installing on your primary hdd. Also it's great for people who don't like to spend too much time in single user mode. Also great for people who don't like to have a broken install! :)

-Stell

I haven't tried this, but theoretically, one could edit the Brazilmac patch-9a581.sh file to not remove or replace anything, change the size to a DL disk size and that should give you a DL full Leopard installer that would install on a hackintosh with efi already installed. Any takers?
The DVD will need EFI adding to it so it will boot on Hackintosh. I don't know how to do this myself.
Nice guide, brother. I've suggested before to people to get a spare hdd with an install of Leopard or Tiger on it. It saves soo much time and headaches when installing on your primary hdd. Also it's great for people who don't like to spend too much time in single user mode. Also great for people who don't like to have a broken install! :) -Stell
I agree with a spare hard disk. What I basically did was to format my IDE drive as GUID and then installed the EFI 7.2 to the drive. Then I used Clonetool Hatchery H1 to cloan my Leopard installation to the IDE drive. Once done, rebooted from the IDE drive and it worked fine. Then I formatted my SATA drive as GUID and installed EFI v7.2 to this, and ran Clonetool Hatchery H1 again to clone the IDE back onto the SATA drive. I only did this because I really could not be bothered to install OSX from scratch again.And it works brilliantly. Netkas is just amazing. I can't wait to see what else he manages to do with the pc_efi!

I installed Leopard 10.5 using Flat Image from Windows XP. How would I go about installing pc_efi? I'm pretty sure it'll work on my system, but check my specs on my signature and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! So how about it, can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, where would I get the files needed? :unsure: Thanks a lot guys :P

EDIT: Also, if I didn't want to use GUID, could I avoid having to have an install of Tiger and formatting and all that? I just want to be able to do Software Updates :) My system works perfectly as is, I don't need the extra oomph from GUID at this point :)

nice one mate .this code that you write.

sudo -s

*password*

cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v71

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v7_guid_only

is it possibe for you to edit your code so i can load efi_5.1 to MBR

as this copy and paste method to terminal works better for me .

tried the boot off cd method for days and could not get it to work

regards

you dont need to do any post patching but it wouldnt hurt to.

That will be my next project :lol: currently in trying to make a .pkg to do this but first im trying to get boot camp to stop geting boot ROM versions so we can dual boot

Nice guide, brother. I've suggested before to people to get a spare hdd with an install of Leopard or Tiger on it. It saves soo much time and headaches when installing on your primary hdd. Also it's great for people who don't like to spend too much time in single user mode. Also great for people who don't like to have a broken install! :(

-Stell

Thanks, Yes i highly suggest it saves a lot of time and its worth it. A case at compusa is about 5 bucks and you can just put an old laptops hd in it and your golden.

nice one mate .this code that you write.

sudo -s

*password*

cd /Users/XXX/Desktop/pc_efi_v71

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v7_guid_only

is it possibe for you to edit your code so i can load efi_5.1 to MBR

as this copy and paste method to terminal works better for me .

tried the boot off cd method for days and could not get it to work

regards

This guide is for v 7.2 i would recommend consulting other guides

how to set Guid Partition active?

It is set active by the commands we enter in.

I installed Leopard 10.5 using Flat Image from Windows XP. How would I go about installing pc_efi? I'm pretty sure it'll work on my system, but check my specs on my signature and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! So how about it, can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, where would I get the files needed? :) Thanks a lot guys :)

EDIT: Also, if I didn't want to use GUID, could I avoid having to have an install of Tiger and formatting and all that? I just want to be able to do Software Updates :) My system works perfectly as is, I don't need the extra oomph from GUID at this point :)

Any reason why you skipped my post, i am me? :unsure:

Any reason why you skipped my post, i am me? :unsure:

I answered you in a different thread right?

To do this, so far, you need both leopard and tiger, tiger and tiger, or leopard and leopard. on separate drives. Do you have that?

im in the process of creating a .iso to make the drive a GUID and install all of this...

it might be a while though in not the best a making .pkg's

I will write a shell though....

Yeah, I saw your reply but this information is new to me. Thanks. :unsure:

I have XP SP2 on it's own HDD, and Leopard 10.5 on it's own HDD as well. So no, I don't have Tiger. Still, I only want to install EFI for the updates, not for the GUID part of it. What should I do? I already have the pc_efiv73 files, but I'm still unclear as to how to install it all. It might be a bit off topic now that I think of it, but I really haven't found an answer yet. Any help will be fantastic. :)

Yeah, I saw your reply but this information is new to me. Thanks. :unsure:

I have XP SP2 on it's own HDD, and Leopard 10.5 on it's own HDD as well. So no, I don't have Tiger. Still, I only want to install EFI for the updates, not for the GUID part of it. What should I do? I already have the pc_efiv73 files, but I'm still unclear as to how to install it all. It might be a bit off topic now that I think of it, but I really haven't found an answer yet. Any help will be fantastic. :)

If GUID isnt important to you then you can go ahead and install v5.2 or 6

in the readme it will say how

is v5.2 or 6 in the same package? I looked at the readme, and it looks a bit cryptic. What do I want to install? Multi-boot or Single-boot? I have Windows XP on my other HDD and I still want access to it, but I can also use the BIOS's Boot Selector (F8) to select into which to boot up to. What would you recommend?

is v5.2 or 6 in the same package? I looked at the readme, and it looks a bit cryptic. What do I want to install? Multi-boot or Single-boot? I have Windows XP on my other HDD and I still want access to it, but I can also use the BIOS's Boot Selector (F8) to select into which to boot up to. What would you recommend?

Use v5, v6 is for video cards.

make a directory called efi in the root of your HD

type this in in single user mode on your leopard drive by booting with the flag -s

when it say root type this in.

cd /efi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5

it will say HFS blah blah

looking for free words.....

that will install EFI v5.2

Cool, 2 more things and I'm sorry for being so annoying :unsure:

1) Will I still be able to boot to my other HDD that has Windows on it?

2) Does this method also install the thing that allows Software Update to run with no problems? If not, then what else do I have to do to get that running?

Cool, 2 more things and I'm sorry for being so annoying :P1) Will I still be able to boot to my other HDD that has Windows on it?2) Does this method also install the thing that allows Software Update to run with no problems? If not, then what else do I have to do to get that running?
1) Yes you can

2) Yes. All that is needed is EFI