Gigabyte P35-DS4 Ethernet stopped working - why?

4 posts in this topic

I managed few days ago to get my hack working on my PCwith my gigabyte P35-DS4 using the XXX 10.4.10. everything was running smoothly

now all of a sudden after playing with XP/vista and trying other BIOS settings, ethernet all of a sudden doesn't work anymore.

system profiler tells me he found an adapter, and it is indeed the correct one (identified via MAC adress), but I cannot connect any more: system settings does not find a LAN connection, but my PC is connected to the fritzbox (and LAN works well using the XP partition).

I assume I tweaked a little too much in the BIOS, but what did I do wrong, and how can I undo it?

Thanks

Joey

I managed few days ago to get my hack working on my PCwith my gigabyte P35-DS4 using the XXX 10.4.10. everything was running smoothly

now all of a sudden after playing with XP/vista and trying other BIOS settings, ethernet all of a sudden doesn't work anymore.

system profiler tells me he found an adapter, and it is indeed the correct one (identified via MAC adress), but I cannot connect any more: system settings does not find a LAN connection, but my PC is connected to the fritzbox (and LAN works well using the XP partition).

I assume I tweaked a little too much in the BIOS, but what did I do wrong, and how can I undo it?

Thanks

Joey

Hi,

I had the same problem, seems to me like a bios-bug.

The problem is that the Lan-Port will not be completely initialized when booting (specially by hackos).

You can try this at first:

Go into bios and start smart-Lan in order to measure the cable-lenght.

When I did this i got a error at first, but after a few seconds I got the assumed cable-lenght. After that boot OS X again and lan works again. :P

So if this works for you too, you can do what I did:

In the bios you can enable Onboard LAN Boot ROM, this will guarantee that the Lan-Port will be initialized every boot.

This will expand boot-time, but i can live with that when the LAN works. :rolleyes:

btw. you can reduce the wait-time in the Lan Boot ROM a little!

Thanks for the ultra quick response...it works!I enabled the ROM for the ethernet, and it looks as if during boot it already receives the IP adress (which is different from the one before, which is because it is a different MAC adress. strange.).might be I run into trouble now since that bloody fritz box now has 2 different IP adresses for the computer name.

- Do you know whether I can change the computer name under OsX or elsewhere (the one which is exposed to the net)?

- Funny thing: under my computer I cannot change the name, but it says that the last change happened in 1904...Didn't know Jobs is that old :):D:D

Thanks really a lot,

Joey

PS I remember I read your hint in some other thread, but I simply couldn't find it again.

PPS btw How do I make a share in OsX? I am simply too dumb to find this in the menu. Should work somehow, shouldn't it?ThanksJoey

Thanks for the ultra quick response...it works!I enabled the ROM for the ethernet, and it looks as if during boot it already receives the IP adress (which is different from the one before, which is because it is a different MAC adress. strange.).might be I run into trouble now since that bloody fritz box now has 2 different IP adresses for the computer name.

- Do you know whether I can change the computer name under OsX or elsewhere (the one which is exposed to the net)?

- Funny thing: under my computer I cannot change the name, but it says that the last change happened in 1904...Didn't know Jobs is that old :):):D

Thanks really a lot,

Joey

PS I remember I read your hint in some other thread, but I simply couldn't find it again.

PPS btw How do I make a share in OsX? I am simply too dumb to find this in the menu. Should work somehow, shouldn't it?ThanksJoey

Your Fritz Box, shouldn't have any problems, my Fritz Box knows about 40 MAC-addresses (because i often changed my hardware and repaired the computer of friends) unless you entered some port-forwarding rules. So you might have to change them...

The name of the mac can be changed under "sharing" in "system preferences" where it says something like "Device or computer-name" (My system is German at the moment, so I'm not 100% sure). :)

Sharing under 10.5 is a little bit different (but imo a lot better) than in previous versions:

Again, under "sharing" in "system preferences" you can enable "File Shaing", where you can add the folders/volumes you want to share and also add the users that should have access and what kind of access.

BTW. Now I won't need "Sharepoints" anymore like I did in Panther or Tiger. B)

IkariGend