Leopard on Asus P5N32e-sli and hopefully some other nforce mobos, perfect install dvd and informations...

 Mysticus C*

86 posts in this topic

First of all thanx for ToH credits goes to him for his release...

Mobo: Asus P5N32e-sli (Nforce 680i Chipset)

cpu : Intel Q6600

vga : Radeon HD 2900 XT 512 mb

HDD1: 3 x 500gb in raid 0 mode (SATA)

HDD2: 1 x 300gb (PATA)

DVD : 1 x DVDRW drive (PATA)

Keyboard & Mouse : USB

Monitor : Analog (dvi to vga converter)

In this mobo sata drives are recognized however since i m using it in raid mode i didnt wanna distroy it, so i used pata drive to install leo!

Sata drive sizes were exact, however pata size is limited to 128 gb. but with appleviaata kext you can solve it easily after installation... make sure u use a partition that is in first section of the hdd and not to exceed 128 gb...

Since this mobo has nvidia chipset, it makes it a bit pain in the a$$ to install it easily.

Ok You downloaded the iso, and burned it...

You booted off the dvd, and you are looking at press any key to install os x counter... before it finishes counting you must press F8!

The reason for this is (in my case only maybe) I have q6600 and although it s hpet it cant work for now as hpet.

So you have to use these flags:

-v u know this one already, verbose mode to see errors

cpus=1 caused by nforce chipset for some reason with out this flag it creates cpu kernel panic!

-x in my case (in some other people's case as well= for me the prblem was nvdaresman loads although i have ati 2900 xt, it creates kernel panic!)

-v -x cpus=1

use these flags and u ll boot up fine,

once u booted up, use ur diskutility to create partition or if u have already partioned with your current tiger, just continue to install window

choose your drive to install

click customization button

uncheck evertg (except essential which you already cant!)

start the install

light a cigarette or take some coffee while installing

but this is the trick part (just maybe my case i dont know)

if u leave computer unattended for more than 10 mins dvd drive somehow goes to sleep mod which causes later on some files not found or not validated error!

so what i did was move the mouse aroung every 7-8 mins and click on an empty area!

trust me it is very unpleasant after 1.5 hrs wait and almost done dvd drive sleeps and cant get back on install doomed!

so dont take chance :censored2:

once installation done

u ll restart!

once restarted

use same flags once more dont try to go to -s mode u ll mess up evertg u waited for...

-v -x cpus=1

once booted proparly u ll see apple screen, u fill out infos etc... create user account

after that it may ask u to transfer details or etc, in my case it didnt take dont transfer anything as an answer so i had to make it search for my tiger and it found all the details and programs i had, and voila it get past the screen and welcome to Leo!

make sure u uncheck Keep me Updated part! otherwise it will download updates and u ll be doomed by apple :(

if u used pata drive for installation and had a hdd bigger than 128 gb... u ll see that it ll only show 128 gb...

to solve this u need to esit your appleviaata.kext file!

note: even if it is smaller than 128 gb i still highly suggest u to edit this file if u used pata! bcoz this hdd bug is caused by missing dev id! (0x036e10de)

now u can edit ur appleviaata.kext file and add the 0x036e10de dev id among the other dev ids under pci match part of SATA SECTION! u got it right SATA section although it is pata! it has to be like this! trust me! by doing this, not only u ll get ur full hdd size, but also much better hdd performance as well!

dont forget to chown and chmod ur file once done....

for sound card, i copied my old appleazaliaaudio kext and it worked fine (stereo only as usual with this one)

for network there is no solution as of now... out of luck at the moment... (i found a solution but it s temporary bcoz the drive works fine under light usage, but heavy usage causes freeze...

here is the link if u wanna take a look

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317

usb works fine and all usb2 drives works fine... no issue with high speed...

for vga card check my topic for 2900xt 512mb:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=493777

full qe/ci rotation dvi+vga+dual screen everything working...

(just a side note, if u have ati card, remember after creating accounts and u are on gui screen, make sure go to terminal and remove the nvd* and gef* series kexts... they meddle with this card although nothing to do with it...)

for nforce sata there is a new driver by medevil, which is claimed to work for both pata and sata... so no more appleviaata.kext editing...

here is the link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=576753

there are also patched kernels for this nforce chipset.... which means u can use all your cores... no more cpus=1

Leo

10.5.1 sse3 (efi required as i m told) http://rapidshare.com/files/83478429/mach_..._efi_needed.zip

10.5.0 sse3 (nforce/nohpet no efi required but works fine in efi system) http://rapidshare.com/files/83478612/mach_...0.5.0_noefi.zip

Tiger (w/o efi patch system doesnt even boot 10.4.10's kernel or 11's but only 10.4.9's kernel work... aka 8.9.1, so to use 10.4.10 kernel or above u need to use efi patch on this mobo)

10.4.10 http://rapidshare.com/files/83478899/mach_nforce_8.10.1.zip

10.4.11 http://rapidshare.com/files/83479684/mach_...1nforce_efi.zip

thanx for the kernel for the ChaOSX86 channel members especially Kabyl... for the kernels... all credits to him...

any questions? dont be shy to ask :)

good luck....

• 1 month later...

Hey Im working with the exact same board. Thanks a lot for the info.

I see in your specs that you have 4 1G Ram sticks.. I have been having problems with a similar config. I have 4 sticks of OCZ pc6400. all four are same sticks... I can only stay stable with two of them in. I have tried setting all timings to default 4-4-4-15 t2 with a stock ratio of 1066/800... did you experience any issues with your RAM on this MB? And if not what vendor and model ram are you using because this has been driving me crazy having 2Gs of RAM on the shelf in front of me not getting used...

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...
Hey Im working with the exact same board. Thanks a lot for the info.

I see in your specs that you have 4 1G Ram sticks.. I have been having problems with a similar config. I have 4 sticks of OCZ pc6400. all four are same sticks... I can only stay stable with two of them in. I have tried setting all timings to default 4-4-4-15 t2 with a stock ratio of 1066/800... did you experience any issues with your RAM on this MB? And if not what vendor and model ram are you using because this has been driving me crazy having 2Gs of RAM on the shelf in front of me not getting used...

Thanks again

no i dont have any problem with the rams (corsair brand which i bought through misco.co.uk at about 30gbp for 2 gigs i think, coz i m in living in london...)

• 2 weeks later...
how do you patch the mach kernel.
i do not patch kernel, "thanx for the kernel for the ChaOSX86 channel members especially Kabyl... for the kernels... all credits to him..."read it proparly mate, it is made by Kabyl in ChaOSX86 channel in usual irc place...
Hey Im working with the exact same board. Thanks a lot for the info.I see in your specs that you have 4 1G Ram sticks.. I have been having problems with a similar config. I have 4 sticks of OCZ pc6400. all four are same sticks... I can only stay stable with two of them in. I have tried setting all timings to default 4-4-4-15 t2 with a stock ratio of 1066/800... did you experience any issues with your RAM on this MB? And if not what vendor and model ram are you using because this has been driving me crazy having 2Gs of RAM on the shelf in front of me not getting used...Thanks again
pm me if you still have problem with rams, i think i know your problem, sort of...

Hello

Same MoBo here but no sucess with booting from HDD. Booting from DVD brings up the"Welcome"-Start-Agent...so far...so good

But at the Point"Do You already own a Mac" fter the click on Next the "Welcome" Screen apprears again. No Login Window

I' ve tested another (one SSE2 and one SSE3 patched) Kernel and the Network-Kext described in Post #1 too, but with no success. Any Ideas?

EDIT: When I boot from HDD with Efi_v8 the Kernel panics!

Greats

Doc

Sry for my broken English...I'm from Germany.

Edited by docX

ok...

i mentioned ToH version dvd rite? so i assume you have ToH version dvd....

SUGGESTIONS

+first of all, dont do efi or anytg yet from the start...

+if u really want this mobo to work on your system it requires so much patience.... and 3 install dvds to get leo work proparly or 2 dvds to get tiger 10.4.10+ perfectly...

+(i suggest u get "10.4.8 jas dvd" + "10.4.10 mac.nub DVD" + "10.5.0 ToH RC2 DVD")

you can install leo and patch it for bootable but it is a bit of hassle... just to warn you...

+also the network cards on this mobo are hopeless, i got myself a sweex LC001 lan card based on rtl8139 chip works out of the box on leo (which costs about 8-9 GBP on amazon.co.uk)

+use pata driver sata is hopeless right now, doesnt work fine...

+have 3 partitions at least to get everytg working fine...

===================================

why? bcoz i ended up creating 7 partitions on my hdd (dedicated only to osx)

now i have an 10.4.8 almost perfect system with all cores+sound+lan+ no qe/ci but res fine

10.4.10 fully perfect all cores+sounds+lan+qe/ci

10.5.0 (toh) cpus=1 for some reason dont know yet but c2d cpus work fine... mine is c2q (quad core)+lan+sound (sound from 10.4.10 version azalia, doesnt work any other dont know why)

==================================

ok... assuming you are using toh rc2 dvd

press f8 and start with

-v -x cpus=1

(-x is not necessary if u dont have ati vga card)

let it boot to install window, do partitioning/erasing stuff

uncheck evertg in customize window, and let it install....

(about 1-1.5 hrs...) but make sure u move the mouse every 10-15 mins, bcoz dvd drive goes to sleep mode at around 15 mins without activity (input from user like mouse movement like it would in screen saver mode)

ok that means touch the mouse every 10-15 mins (better 10 mins)

finish the install, restart

F8 again, and

-v -x cpus=1

again

create account

start terminal

remove extensions.mkext

caches/com.bla bla file...

(if u have ati card) remove all NVD* and GeF* files

assuming u used pata drive so remove AppleNForceATA.kext

thats it...

u will need to edit your appleviaata.kext file in order to get hdd work full speed... and recognize over 128gb hdd space...

cd into appleviaata.kext/contents/

nano info.plist

and add 0x036e10de to sata section of the driver where u will see pci match datas...

u should have to start with cpus=1 if u have quad core cpu, if u have core2duo than u can try the kernel on the post above...

make sure u fix permission with

chown 0:0 mach_kernel

chmod 644 mach_kernel

(note that 644 not 755)

once done, restart it should be up to you to fix further...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been trying to install kalyway leopard for while now with no success.... I have a similar configuration.

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Intel Q6600

2GB Corsair XMS2 6400

BFG 8800 GTS 512 x2 in SLI

1x 120 GB Mqxtor Sata HD

2x 320 GB maxtor sata HD

I have xp setup on the first partition of the first drive

I used GPARTED live disk to format the 2nd HD in preparation for VISTA and Leopard so

50 GB NTFS primary, 50 GB FAT32 primary and the rest as an extended partition (Reiser FS and ext3)

I downloaded the following torrent "kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso.3953858.TPB" extracted it this gave two folders,

__MACOSX\KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 and KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3

Both contain an iso one is 60k the other 4.3 GB, so I burned the large one with burnaware free edition

I then restart with the leopard DVD is in the drive chose F8 and -v -x cpus=1

the computer starts loading kernels etc... It gets to the second stage (higher res screen) but then stops, in a different place each time sometimes claiming that it is launching darwin... Other times after it says the root device is read only.

I would very much appreciate some help if anyone has the time!!

Cheers,

Hi,

I have been trying to install kalyway leopard for while now with no success.... I have a similar configuration.

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

Intel Q6600

2GB Corsair XMS2 6400

BFG 8800 GTS 512 x2 in SLI

1x 120 GB Mqxtor Sata HD

2x 320 GB maxtor sata HD

I have xp setup on the first partition of the first drive

I used GPARTED live disk to format the 2nd HD in preparation for VISTA and Leopard so

50 GB NTFS primary, 50 GB FAT32 primary and the rest as an extended partition (Reiser FS and ext3)

I downloaded the following torrent "kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso.3953858.TPB" extracted it this gave two folders,

__MACOSX\KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 and KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3

Both contain an iso one is 60k the other 4.3 GB, so I burned the large one with burnaware free edition

I then restart with the leopard DVD is in the drive chose F8 and -v -x cpus=1

the computer starts loading kernels etc... It gets to the second stage (higher res screen) but then stops, in a different place each time sometimes claiming that it is launching darwin... Other times after it says the root device is read only.

I would very much appreciate some help if anyone has the time!!

Cheers,

kalyway has a problem on this mobo, i found out lately, for some reason, it doesnt like this mobo...

however good news is here... :D

there is iAtkos 1.0i (R2 ppf + special nforce ppf--not public yet, so pm to get it)

with two ppf patched r2 release of iAtkos, you will have a perfect system with all cores working with full speed hdd pata/sata access (no raid yet)

but for now it has a downside a little which can be fixed in minutes...

the special ppf is for boot, but it is not an option to be installed, meaning it gives you full cores and hdd support for booting from dvd but not an option to install these... so yo have to install them manualy once dvd installation is finished.

you can grab the nforceata from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071 here

and nforce kernel at the first post above or from the root of the patched dvd...

here is screen shot to prove

wlc188.jpg

mrqrzb.jpg

Just as a note, I have exactly the same board and had an issue with 4 sticks of ram as did a freind with the striker extreme. The cure for both these was a simple BIOS update as this addresses this problem amongst other things.

Go to ASUS website and get the latest BIOS file, I recommend sticking the unzipped file on a usb key or even burn it to a cd

hit DELETE on boot and enter the BIOS, you will find EZFlash utility in there on the end tab somewhere, use it to flash your BIOS to the latest (803 at the time of writing this I believe) from the USB Key or CD

WARNING - MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BIOS FILE FOR YOUR BOARD OR YOU COULD RENDER YOUR PC UNBOOTABLE

Once its flashed OK you should be able to put all 4 sticks in.

Note, a 32bit OS will only see 3.2ish of the 4, this is normal

Now, thanks for the guide, my next trick will be to get Leo running on it

Yes! After Days of Testing and Patching:

I've a running Installation see here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86124

EDIT: Running perfect wit 4GB of RAM

there is now a better installation dvd, i will put instructions for it soon...

grab yourself a iAtkos 1.0i or iAtkos 1.0i R2 dvds

i will help u with the rest of it, and it is the least painful, most perfect system for this mobo...

i am making new instructions for this mobo, for, much better install and least amount of trouble..., and hopefully some other 600 series nforces or some earlier mobos will work in one dvd install... anyone want to know please just state that you are in for testing... no need to write anything else, i will pm you...

hopefully a new pacth will be coming soon that we will not only boot, but also install the necessary kexts so there will be a almost perfect system... just wait and couple of hours or max 1-2 days hopefully... there will be a DVD just for Nforce mobos... :rolleyes: all cores, and hdd access will be ok although i cannot guarantee that all sata drives will work perfect, however pata drives work perfect... already... for the new DVD, you will have to wait a bit... but it will be largely available in fastest way... no torret... :) but link will not be posted here... i ll let you know once everything sorted...

Hi there ok i finally got it to boot to the keyboard test screen then it just repeat i am using kalway as iatkos does not get to the installer no matter what i do. have you change some options in the bios?

Do NOT connect your Network Cable. This is the Trick. Pull out your Network Cable, Start Setup, Install, Run the "Welcome" Assistant, Click "No Network Connection". Hope this help you :blink:

just as a reminder, as i read around, nforce ata kext is not fully compatible with all sata systems... sorry for bad news, but it is due to the nature of nvidia's closed information system... thanx to medevil to make his kext that helped many people, but cant blame him or flame him that it doesnt work on every sata drive... since in the first place there is no sata driver from nvidia nor osx open to regular pcs, u cant blame anyone and test everything at your own risk/luck... do not blame anyone for what they did to try to help please...nforce ata usualy works fine on pata drives, sometimes it doesnt need nforceata driver from medevil, for pata drives... u can edit your appleviaata.kext but this kext is a bit of trouble as it unloads at boot on some systems, requiring to add -v -f to boot.plist file... so either way u can make your PATAs work perfect, but not all satas work ok, specially if u are on nforce raid! no driver around for it, thats why i have to use pata which i m ok with... so stay tuned...

Hi there ok i finally got it to boot to the keyboard test screen then it just repeat i am using kalway as iatkos does not get to the installer no matter what i do. have you change some options in the bios?
for the keyboard, it s ok, just press top section of the keyboard couple of times like random numbers or qwerty area... it will say it doesnt recognize, ur keyboard, choose ansi american or stg u can change it to correct one later easily... it should help u pass keyboard loop...