P5k3 Leopard Install Guide

nateleav76

39 posts in this topic

EDITED 11/09/07

I added some more kext files for the Time Machine Fix, Onboard Lan, and Onboard sound! If you have previously installed leopard... you can re-run the post patch script to add new kexts. Good luck and enjoy!!! :P

Also, if any of you are having weird disconnection or dns issues with your internet connection, this is a known leopard issue. Do the following to resolve it:

Set your own DNS-Servers, under Network "Advanced..." --> DNS e.g.

Add the following to what is already in there:

4.2.2.2 & 141.1.1.1

Normally only your Router will be listed.

then in terminal:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

END OF EDIT

First of all I want to thank all those involved with making this stuff available to us. Obviously, there has been a lot of sleepless hours spent on our behalf. Many thanks to BrazilMAC, Isoripper, and all the other devs who have made this possible.

I used most of what BrazilMAC and others have posted, but made some modifications based on my system setup.

Some things you need for this install:

- BrazilMAC Patched Leopard 9a581 GM Image (Isoripper)

- USB Drive which you name PATCHER (all caps)

- SATA DVD-RW drive

- My modified zip file - Updated 11/09/07

Burn the image to a Single Layer DVD;

Format your Thumb Drive!!! This should be FAT32!!!!! It needs to be readable by the terminal when we access it; Also, the drive label should be "PATCHER". This is very IMPORTANT, since the latter will spit out an error!! When you format, make sure it is named PATCHER! ALL CAPS!

Now, unzip the archive nateleav76_mod_p5k3_patch.zip to your desktop. Move all files within the folder nateleav76_mod_p5k3_patch to your thumb drive. After doing so PATCHER should contain the following:

1 folder named "files";

1 folder named "resources";

1 folder named "leopatch";

1 file named "9a581-patch.sh"

1 file named "9a581PostPatch.sh"

** Make sure your DVD drive and the Hard drive you will be installing Leopard on are plugged into the red SATA plugs (4 of them) on your motherboard.

FIXING BIOS

Go into your BIOS by hitting the DELETE key upon booting up

In BOOT

- Boot Device Priority

- Set DVD to be first

In Advanced

- Onboard Devices

- Disable J-Micron Controller

In Main

- SATA Config

- Configure SATA as AHCI

Hit F10, Save Yes, Reboot

INSTALLING LEOPARD

Now lets install Leopard. Insert the DVD on your computer and make sure you boot from the DVD. Usually thats done if you press F12 or whatever key combination to give you the option to choose what disk/cd drive you want to boot from. Select your CD/DVD drive;

After the installer has loaded (it will take a while, be patient) select your language and make sure you hit CUSTOMIZE. Unselect all packages there!!!

Leopard will now install. It may take 15 minutes or so and it will be all done. Click Reboot. Make sure that your USB/Pen Drive is connected to your pc!!

During the reboot, also make sure you do the same step above: Press whatever key combination to give you the option to choose your boot device: Again select your CD/DVD drive. DON'T boot into leopard yet!

When the Darwin bootloader shows up, Hit F8; When you see the prompt, type -s and hit enter. The DVD will now load in verbose mode. Watch for any panics! It should load without a problem (of course, if you already installed, its all good!)

Once the setup is loaded, select your language. When the welcome screens shows up, select UTILITIES-TERMINAL. The terminal will now open. We will now browse to our Thumb Drive;

In the command line, type:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER

We'll now run the script:

./9a581PostPatch.sh

Let it run. You can answer yes when removing the ACPUPowerManagement kext

After the script is done, reboot.

You should now be able to boot into Leopard!!! (probably with the dvd drive in.. make sure when the Darwin Bootloader comes up you hit 'Enter' before the countdown expires)

If you have problems booting into leopard without the DVD in, follow directions below:

Somehow, The Leopard Installation process does no make the partition bootable. You need to do this yourself (working on a fix). Within Leopard:

Open DiskUtils (applications > Utilities)

Click on the Leopard Partition and click Info

Write down what disk it is: diskXsx (example Disk0s1)

Close DiskUtils

· Open up terminal. This is what you do (quoted text is what terminal will show after the commands you enter):

sudo cp /Volumes/PATCHER/files/i386/boot1h /usr/standalone/i386/ (replace if prompted)

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ( replace X and x with the disk/partition you wrote down above)'

fdisk: 1> update

'Machine code updated.'

fdisk:*1> f 1

'Partition 1 marked active.'

fdisk:*1> w

'Device could not be accessed exclusively.'

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

'Writing MBR at offset 0.'

fdisk: 1> q

Reboot computer again with DVD.. boot the DVD.

After welcome and Language.. from Utilites

Open DiskUtils

Write down what disk it is on: diskXsx (example Disk0s1 could have changed from above)

Now click the Unmount button

Close DiskUtil and open Terminal

· Ok, now lets put the file “boot1h” in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, type:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/i386 folder

Then type this:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1 (replace X's with disk you wrote down above

** if you get error of no dd that is ok.. move on)

· Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/files and then type this:

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

· And last, lets give the pope’s blessing to the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Reboot and take the DVD drive out. Upon reboot you'll see a blinkinb _ wait for a few seconds, then it should startup on it's own.

YOU'RE DONE!

I think I remembered everything... if not, post any issues you are having.

I have the P5K Deluxe. Yorus is a P5K3 which should be the same right? Same controller ICH9 and just a faster Bus and you can only use DDr3 right?

Anyhow will your method work on my MB?

I have the P5K Deluxe. Yorus is a P5K3 which should be the same right? Same controller ICH9 and just a faster Bus and you can only use DDr3 right?

Anyhow will your method work on my MB?

It should work. I did nothing specifically with my board except the bios. The modifications I made were specifically for the patcher to work better. The patched dvd was made for a p35 board and not my board specifically so it contains kext files that should work for your board as well.

nate

The link is dead, could you please post it on rapidshare.Thanks
The link is now on rapidshare
I wish it worked on IDE and on Laptops.
You won't have to wait long... I can guarantee that.
err... sorrie care to elaborate work better?
Yes... i added files to the patcher instead of having them already on the hard drive (ie startupfiletool). A lot of the patch stuff out there is if you have tiger installed already. I didn't on this computer, so I also changed the script files to run off of absolute paths (ie /Volumes/PATCHER...) instead of cd .. cd .. cd Volumes/Patcher etc...
Thank you, nateleav76BrazilMac's postpatch didn't work on me, but this one worked like a charm!P5LD2-VM (not SE), with sound and lan recognized.
Glad I could help!

Hey, uh...I'm kind of a noob...So some things were kinda confusing. What's the Thumb Drive?

And, first step was to burn the DVD... But the DVD has 6GB or so... How to do that?

Second... You never mentioned what to do with the BrazilMac patch... My guess is that you have to patch the DVD before burning, correct? Or not?

Could you make it more accessible to nbs? Sry, I just rly wanna do that and still not rly sure of every step.

Thanks.

First of all I want to thank all those involved with making this stuff available to us. Obviously, there has been a lot of sleepless hours spent on our behalf. Many thanks to BrazilMAC, Isoripper, and all the other devs who have made this possible.

I used most of what BrazilMAC and others have posted, but made some modifications based on my system setup.

Some things you need for this install:

- BrazilMAC Patched Leopard 9a581 GM Image (Isoripper)

- USB Drive which you name PATCHER (all caps)

- SATA DVD-RW drive

- My modified zip file

Burn the image to a Single Layer DVD;

Format your Thumb Drive!!! This should be FAT32!!!!! It needs to be readable by the terminal when we access it; Also, the drive label should be "PATCHER". This is very IMPORTANT, since the latter will spit out an error!! When you format, make sure it is named PATCHER! ALL CAPS!

Now, unzip the archive nateleav76_mod_p5k3_patch.zip to your desktop. Move all files within the folder nateleav76_mod_p5k3_patch to your thumb drive. After doing so PATCHER should contain the following:

1 folder named "files";

1 folder named "resources";

1 folder named "leopatch";

1 file named "9a581-patch.sh"

1 file named "9a581PostPatch.sh"

** Make sure your DVD drive and the Hard drive you will be installing Leopard on are plugged into the red SATA plugs (4 of them) on your motherboard.

FIXING BIOS

Go into your BIOS by hitting the DELETE key upon booting up

In BOOT

- Boot Device Priority

- Set DVD to be first

In Advanced

- Onboard Devices

- Disable J-Micron Controller

In Main

- SATA Config

- Configure SATA as AHCI

Hit F10, Save Yes, Reboot

INSTALLING LEOPARD

Now lets install Leopard. Insert the DVD on your computer and make sure you boot from the DVD. Usually thats done if you press F12 or whatever key combination to give you the option to choose what disk/cd drive you want to boot from. Select your CD/DVD drive;

After the installer has loaded (it will take a while, be patient) select your language and make sure you hit CUSTOMIZE. Unselect all packages there!!!

Leopard will now install. It may take 15 minutes or so and it will be all done. Click Reboot. Make sure that your USB/Pen Drive is connected to your pc!!

During the reboot, also make sure you do the same step above: Press whatever key combination to give you the option to choose your boot device: Again select your CD/DVD drive. DON'T boot into leopard yet!

When the Darwin bootloader shows up, Hit F8; When you see the prompt, type -s and hit enter. The DVD will now load in verbose mode. Watch for any panics! It should load without a problem (of course, if you already installed, its all good!)

Once the setup is loaded, select your language. When the welcome screens shows up, select UTILITIES-TERMINAL. The terminal will now open. We will now browse to our Thumb Drive;

In the command line, type:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER

We'll now run the script:

./9a581PostPatch.sh

Let it run. You can answer yes when removing the ACPUPowerManagement kext

After the script is done, reboot.

You should now be able to boot into Leopard!!! (probably with the dvd drive in.. make sure when the Darwin Bootloader comes up you hit 'Enter' before the countdown expires)

If you have problems booting into leopard without the DVD in, follow directions below:

Somehow, The Leopard Installation process does no make the partition bootable. You need to do this yourself (working on a fix). Within Leopard:

Open DiskUtils (applications > Utilities)

Write down what disk it is: diskXsx (example Disk0s1)

Close DiskUtils

· Open up terminal. This is what you do (quoted text is what terminal will show after the commands you enter):

sudo cp /Volumes/PATCHER/files/i386/boot1h /usr/standalone/i386/ (replace if prompted)

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX ( replace X and x with the disk/partition you wrote down above)'

fdisk: 1> update

'Machine code updated.'

fdisk:*1> f 1

'Partition 1 marked active.'

fdisk:*1> w

'Device could not be accessed exclusively.'

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

'Writing MBR at offset 0.'

fdisk: 1> q

Reboot computer again with DVD.. boot the DVD.

After welcome and Language.. from Utilites

Open DiskUtils

Write down what disk it is on: diskXsx (example Disk0s1 could have changed from above)

Now click the Unmount button

Close DiskUtil and open Terminal

· Ok, now lets put the file "boot1h" in the beginning of the partition: In terminal, type:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/i386 folder

Then type this:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsx bs=512 count=1 (replace X's with disk you wrote down above

** if you get error of no dd that is ok.. move on)

· Now, lets run the startup tool to embed the boot code:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/files and then type this:

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

· And last, lets give the pope's blessing to the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Reboot and take the DVD drive out. Upon reboot you'll see a blinkinb _ wait for a few seconds, then it should startup on it's own.

YOU'RE DONE!

Notes:

- To get onboardLAN use your bottom connection and follow this tip

- Onboard Sound use this tip

I think I remembered everything... if not, post any issues you are having.

Good stuff -- didn't need to use it, but glad to see others are having success with it. I have a P5K-E Wifi/AP -- very similar board to the one this patch was made for. Few remaining issues I'm trying to figure out - wondering if you're having them as well:

1) My onboard USB ports don't work -- back ones on the mobo work fine. But since the ports on the motherboard are what are connected to my front usb ports on my case, it would be nice to have them work... In Tiger 10.4.10 they worked most of the time -- some reboots they wouldn't work, I'd just reboot again, and they'd be fine again. I know there were others having this issue on these boards so I'm sure it's not a hardware issue (ports work fine in Vista).

2) I have an occasional Finder freeze - it's very strange. All apps continue to work fine, but Finder won't start any new programs, it shows as 'stopped responding', and I can't force quit it. When this happens, I have to hit the reset button as even the reboot/shutdown commands fail to work. Has anyone else seen this?

3) _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 -- happens very frequently in system.log or in terminal during various operations. Very common, but very annoying. You seen this?

Thanks

nateleav76, Is this post patcher the very latest one from BrazilMAC? He released another updated on 11/1/07.

Also I have an Onboard USB Realtek rtl8189 or is it a 8139 don't remember but is there supoort for this?

Exactly what does your modified post patch include over the standard post patch?

I already installed it and I have tiger on my first partition so I have the darwin Bootloader already in place. I might want to reinstall using your patch if you added some more kexts files that BrazilMAC's post patcher did not include that will be more specific for our P35 chipsets or not?

Hey, uh...I'm kind of a noob...So some things were kinda confusing. What's the Thumb Drive?

And, first step was to burn the DVD... But the DVD has 6GB or so... How to do that?

Second... You never mentioned what to do with the BrazilMac patch... My guess is that you have to patch the DVD before burning, correct? Or not?

Could you make it more accessible to nbs? Sry, I just rly wanna do that and still not rly sure of every step.

Thanks.

You have the wrong DVD... It fits on a DVD. It's somewhere demonic.

Good stuff -- didn't need to use it, but glad to see others are having success with it. I have a P5K-E Wifi/AP -- very similar board to the one this patch was made for. Few remaining issues I'm trying to figure out - wondering if you're having them as well:

1) My onboard USB ports don't work -- back ones on the mobo work fine. But since the ports on the motherboard are what are connected to my front usb ports on my case, it would be nice to have them work... In Tiger 10.4.10 they worked most of the time -- some reboots they wouldn't work, I'd just reboot again, and they'd be fine again. I know there were others having this issue on these boards so I'm sure it's not a hardware issue (ports work fine in Vista).

2) I have an occasional Finder freeze - it's very strange. All apps continue to work fine, but Finder won't start any new programs, it shows as 'stopped responding', and I can't force quit it. When this happens, I have to hit the reset button as even the reboot/shutdown commands fail to work. Has anyone else seen this?

3) _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 -- happens very frequently in system.log or in terminal during various operations. Very common, but very annoying. You seen this?

Thanks

I have none of the issues you are mentioning. Hmm.

nateleav76, Is this post patcher the very latest one from BrazilMAC? He released another updated on 11/1/07.

Also I have an Onboard USB Realtek rtl8189 or is it a 8139 don't remember but is there supoort for this?

Exactly what does your modified post patch include over the standard post patch?

I already installed it and I have tiger on my first partition so I have the darwin Bootloader already in place. I might want to reinstall using your patch if you added some more kexts files that BrazilMAC's post patcher did not include that will be more specific for our P35 chipsets or not?

No, mine does not include any of the changes that his newest post patch has.. I will look at it, and update my file with his latest updates.

Ok I will wait for you to update it. Time Machine issue was fixed along with some minor smaller fixes. If you grabbed his patch around the 31st you might have the latest? You will most likely know.

Oh no, I noticed you do not include the natit and ionetworking kexts.

I have a PCIe nv 7300 GT that I am sure uses the BrazilMAC's included natit not sure about the IOnetworking kext?

Anyhow I will still give it a shot but is there any reason as to why you left the natit and ionetowkring kexts out?

Is your Graphics card built in maybe?

EDITED 11-2-07

Wow your post patch makes the boot process at least 4 times faster than BrazilMAC's

Also noted:

this error disapeared which was annoying and repeated over and over >>>> Package 0 didn't get an HPET.

THis error has disapeared: >>>>> localhost: com.apple.lauchd(1) failed to {censored} the number of files is ?system/Library/StartupOptions? No such file or Dir.

I still have the two messaged during boot but the replies to other people who had this message were it was ok and would not affect anything:

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform and com.apple.driver.AppleConfigurater has immediate depandanices on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi

Only one other thing, which did not seem to affect anything:

When your script moves the kexts, some of them cannot be found, but I think this happens anyhow in BrazilMAC's default script?

No such file or Dir:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

dsmos.kext

AppleA97Audio.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

I am sure you know this happens otherwise you would have modified the post patch and removed those lines of script or added those kexts if they were needed?

Oh btw, I had two hard drives each with tiger , uphucks 10.4.9 v1.3 on the first partition on each drive and I had the 2nd partition on each drive labeled as "Leopard". So I just erased the other Leopard volume and renamed it Leopard2 but did this before I applied the patch and the patch could not find any of the files or Dir's, because the leopard volume was still in /Volumes folder labeled as Leopard_1. Even after I renamed the other to Leopard2 and erased it , it did not refresh the Volume Label name so I just rebooted and then applied your patch again and it worked fine, except the above mentioned irregularities.

You may want to hold off on BrazilMAC's Latest PostPatch version because two of those errors on his install, are not on your installer. the HPET and LOCALHOST I listed above. Unless whatever mod's you did took care of those two errors?

Still let us know if you will be updating your script!! Maybe possibly having the Kexts for the ethernet and audio Device and Manufacturer Ids in place?

I think that might be asking a bit too much knowing you had to put in a lot of time and effort on your patch which works wonderfull!!

Thanks very much!!!

Hi,

i wont to build my homebrw mac and i found this fantastic guide (in union with brasilian mac guide for the image dvd..).

I have chose for my mac an asus P5k Premium, or p5k deluxe, can work?? and if i disasble the Jmicron controller i can't use some features of the motherboard??

i would have 2 SATA hard disk in raid 0 and divide them in 2 partition (1 for vista and 1 for leopard) can it work??

Ok, like firstcolle, here is my question... I have a P5k Deluxe WIfi/AP too, do I have to disable the JMicron controller only when installing or forever??? Someone with this mobo and kalyway OSX installed can help us?

Hi,i wont to build my homebrw mac and i found this fantastic guide (in union with brasilian mac guide for the image dvd..).I have chose for my mac an asus P5k Premium, or p5k deluxe, can work?? and if i disasble the Jmicron controller i can't use some features of the motherboard??i would have 2 SATA hard disk in raid 0 and divide them in 2 partition (1 for vista and 1 for leopard) can it work??
It should work with your motherboard. Also, I have 4 hard drives. 1 with leopard on it, and the other 3 I configured into a RAID with DiskUtil after the Leopard install.
Ok, like firstcolle, here is my question... I have a P5k Deluxe WIfi/AP too, do I have to disable the JMicron controller only when installing or forever??? Someone with this mobo and kalyway OSX installed can help us?
As far as the Jmicron controller... yes you will need to always keep it disabled. Leopard doesn't even recognize anything used by it.
You may want to hold off on BrazilMAC's Latest PostPatch version because two of those errors on his install, are not on your installer. the HPET and LOCALHOST I listed above. Unless whatever mod's you did took care of those two errors?Still let us know if you will be updating your script!! Maybe possibly having the Kexts for the ethernet and audio Device and Manufacturer Ids in place?I think that might be asking a bit too much knowing you had to put in a lot of time and effort on your patch which works wonderfull!!
I'm not sure about the errors... but if others say it's ok.. then it should be... hopefully :) I am definitely going to add the device and IONetworkingFamily kexts in too!

Thanks so much. Unfortunetly, I have to make minor a minor modification for my Audio card on the P5K deluxe. Also using a Netgear PCI wireless ar5212 and it will not work with the default Leopard IO80211Family.kext. Have to grab the one from Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 installed version on partition one. When I installed that I chose the 10.4.5 family IO kext for more wireless support.

Anyhow can I ask you a question, Is all I need to do it modify the kext on the files you provided for the post patch and add the IO80211Family kext to the files?

I am unsure which file to modify on the PATCHER usb for the Audio and where to put the IO80211Family.kext which I have modified to support the netgear. WHere do I put that in the ext folder? And can you tell me what script I need to add to the post patch so it will move that kext over to leopard?

I think I can figure it out just wanted your help to make sure I do this correctly.

Other than that GREAT POST patch. Great Job!!

EDITED:

My Lan was there on your first patch and has disapeared on your new patch? That makes no sense casue we shoudlhave the same DUal Gigalans

Hello guys,

after the installed successed, i did follow the directions about PATCHER in the usb flash... after the 9a581PostPatch.sh installed..reboot and the dvd drive stays in....waiting for countdown expires to boot into leopard but got error says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button....bahh bahh"

so i got to UTILITIES-TERMINAL and i typed "sudo cp /Volumes/PATCHER/files/i386/boot1h /usr/standalone/i386/" in the terminal, but the terminal -bash- says "sudo: command not found"

pls help

my english sucks.

here my laptop info...

gateway m465e (yuck) lol

intel dual core2 1.8 Ghz

2GB Ram

40gb HD

intel gma945 video

hmmm thats all

Hello guys,

after the installed successed, i did follow the directions about PATCHER in the usb flash... after the 9a581PostPatch.sh installed..reboot and the dvd drive stays in....waiting for countdown expires to boot into leopard but got error says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button....bahh bahh"

so i got to UTILITIES-TERMINAL and i typed "sudo cp /Volumes/PATCHER/files/i386/boot1h /usr/standalone/i386/" in the terminal, but the terminal -bash- says "sudo: command not found"

pls help

my english sucks.

here my laptop info...

gateway m465e (yuck) lol

intel dual core2 1.8 Ghz

2GB Ram

40gb HD

intel gma945 video

hmmm thats all

Did you try without using the sudo command?.. and also, I'm not sure this patch will work with your motherboard. As the topic states... P5K3