Formatting a USB external drive to FAT32/NTFS under Mac OS X

Данчо

3 posts in this topic

Right after I bought my MacBook, I realized that 80GB won't be enough for me. I upraded the HD and decided to keep the 80GB drive in a USB case for back-up.

Now I want to use it to transfer larger files (movies etc...) from friends with PC's, and I don't want to make them install MacDrive every time. I tried to format the drive to FAT32 (NTFS is read-only in OS X) under Vista but it said "drive too large". Tried to make it NTFS, but didn't work out well because the drive does not appear on my friend's pc when the usb is plugged in....

To make it simpler: How do I make this MacBook 2.5 inch USB harddrive work on PC's?

Are there any apps to format it to FAT 32 under OS X? Should I partition it to make it smaller? Should I just sell it and get a normal PC one? I am open to other suggestions... Thanks for your input guys!

In OS X just use Disk Utility (Applications --> Utilities). Select the external drive, choose Erase, select MS-DOS File System as the Volume Format and click Erase. That will format the drive as FAT32. Of course it will also erase all data on the drive.