Help please! Macbook Pro & Vista WIFI Driver

shashu

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've installed Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate OEM on my 15.4¨ Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.16ghz. Most driver installations seemed to go OK, but am having a bit of trouble with wireless networking. Vista automatically installed the Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adaptor with its own driver version 7.0.0.121. Windows Update showed an available update for the adaptor version 7.2 which I downloaded and installed but when trying to use that driver I was unable to find any wireless networks. I have since rolled back to the old driver, and although this works I am sure that I am getting some throughput dropout when using the WiFi. I am unable to install the drivers from the latest version of Bootcamp (net5416 folder) as when trying to update the driver Windows always uses its own driver (even after I delete the athr.sys file from system32). Looking for someone to shed some light on either 1) how I can use the Boot camp driver, or 2) how I can get version 7.2 of this driver to work. Also, can someone please confirm that the card in the Macbook Core Duo (NOT core2duo) is an Atheros 5006X.

Also, device manager is showing one USB Human Interface Device with uninstalled driver, as well as Bluetooth Peripheral Device and Performance Counters. I assume there are no drivers I can update for these components? (What is performance counters??). Would really appreciate some help as I'm a bit confused by these issues.

Hello mate,

It worked like magic.

I had the same problem.

I had Windows XP on my Macbook Pro and today i have updated to Vista EE.

The computer continued to complain about drivers, even after using the bootcamp CD. It showed the wireless driver as Atheros AR5006X and the driver is done Ok, however wireless was not working at all.

You have to do this in two steps, first copy the .exe file from bootcamp CD to your C drive (rename it as drivers.exe for convenience)

then expand it using the cmd shell by typing driversexe /V /a

Please go all the way through, and take care about any Vista warnings.

This will create two folders: 1- under c: called system32

2-under program files called Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.

Step2: go to device manager in Windows and force it to use the net5211 driver by right clicking the wireless Ath%xx item , update driver and then browse my computer for driver software , then have disk and browse for the folder.

Don't worry about any Vista warnings. It doesn't know what it is talking about

Hope this helps.

Help!

I'm having similar problems, but nothing is fixing it. Got MBP Core Duo 17inch 2.16Ghz, 2 Gig RAM.

Just installed Vista Ultimate under Boot Camp.

I'm sure that when I first ran Vista, for a while it ran on my wireless network. However, it doesn't now... it doesn't see my networks or indeed any networks in my area even though I see ALL of them in OSX and in WinXP under Parallels. There are no driver errors, but it is as if the wireless card is turned off all the time.

I tried forcing the device to 'update' to the BootCamp CD drivers, but Vista always overrules me and says 'you're already running the latest driver'. I tried disabling the Vista-installed device, and manually installing a 'new' version using the Boot Camp CD driver, but while it installs the driver it tells you that the device can't be used. If you delete (uninstall) the Vista-assigned device it will delete, but the 'faulty' version of the same device still will not start. Delete that one too, and it doesn't matter if you want to reinstall the driver, Vista does an auto-setup of the apparently functional and happy, but not-working version of the driver, dated at the end of Jan 07...

Help, please.

And as if by magic, I think I've cracked it...

If you go to the 'Update Driver' in the Hardware Manager, then Browse Manually, but then instead of saying 'let me pick... I've got a disk, you can select 'let me pick from a list, and you'll see a bunch of 5006 drivers, one of which is an older driver marked 'Microsoft'... This appears to have just fixed it for me!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I have tried the suggestions here with my MacBookPro Core 2 Duo; however when I install the 5600X [Atheros or Microsoft] drivers using the ones found in Vista I still cannot connect wirelessly to my network. Does anyone eles have any ideas? Both drivers seem to have installed properly.

• 5 months later...

Hi I'm having a similar problem (but not completely the same) with my MacBook Core Duo. I ran BootCamp 1.3 and installed Vista Business a couple months ago. My computer is able to find wireless networks, but has problems connecting. The first couple times I tried connecting, it would do so only after a delay of 15 and 60 minutes, respectively, displaying a message that it may be due to time-out problem (or the like) in the meantime. Once I'm connected, the connection is great! Unfortunately yesterday I had to dis/reconnect my router and have not been able to connect from Vista since. Btw I'm always able to connect automatically from OS X.

I reinstalled drivers from the Boot Camp CD to no avail. I also don't have any prior versions of the Atheros driver that I can roll back to, probably because this was the first Windows install on my Mac...?

I've been scouring the web but haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar problem with a Core Duo processor (only Core 2 Duo) except on this thread. Any ideas??

Oh and I'm a computer lightweight (if it wasn't obvious), but this isn't the problem; my developer bf has been doing everything so I don't mess up my computer, but even he's ready to give up. Hopefully someone can help me! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same problem as all of you but i can access the internet wirelessly in Windows (Vista Ultimate) but not in Mac, if i add a wireless new location in Mac i can access the web, but not my existing connection which i set up in Windows first after installing bootcamp 1.4.

My machine - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo <LI>1440 x 900 resolution <LI>2GB memory <LI>160GB hard drive1 <LI>8x double-layer SuperDrive <LI>NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

I have tried everything to get Mac internet connection to work but nothing. I am using WEP security on my wireless router and have connected various times with other PC's but not Mac.

I am windows through and through and am getting into Macs for my music production but also want to get up to speed with Macs as a whole, i am at this stage completly cluless with Mac OS but am very PC literate with Windows.

I hope you can help me as i really just don't know where to turn with this.

Thanks for all your help.

John.

• 4 weeks later...