[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

WITH 10.4.x

Checked with 10.4.8/.9, gives you a 100% airport extreme experience. B)

For use with 10.4.10+ you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

WITH 10.5.x

Using the 10.4.8 kext with Leopard gives you a working airport extreme, but only for WEP or open networks. WPA is proving a bit belligerent, you can connect to wpa2/wpa networks using the "chipxsd method" described at the end of this post. Editing the 10.5 kext can lock up your system when trying to use your airport. Feedback would be greatly appreciated if you have found a way, or even if you tried and failed.

Leopard "instructions" after the Tiger ones.

10.4 up to 10.4.8

Manufacturer ID: 168c

Device ID: 0013

(168c:0013)

Edit:

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

from

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

change to

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string>

if your manufacturer & Device ID are different, just change the line to

<string>pci{man ID,Dev ID}</string>

Then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(Or, use the script in the attached .dmg file if you can't be bothered cleaning up permissions by hand)

Reboot...

and voilà detected as an airport extreme card :thumbsup_anim:

LEOPARD INSTRUCTIONS:

The previous kext method:

For use with 10.5 you need to copy the kext from one of the previous versions. You can get it easily by downloading Apple's 10.4.8 update, then using Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext

Edit the kext as per the Tiger instructions above...

(Thanks Eclau.)

Got the exact same prob and i ended up copying the IO80211Family.kext I used in Tiger, it still works in Leo :)

The new kext method

For 10.5, follow the same procedure, but edit the System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext

1. Changed the IO80211Family kext/Atheros plugin for the card (changed <string>pci168c,1c</string> to <string>pci168c,13</string>) - card showed up in Profiler.

2. Changed the NetworkInterfaces.plist to en1 for Airport - the icon showed up but was blank.

3. Changed the preferences.plist to en1 too - the icon showed up and had signal. Stuck me pass in and was connected. On reboot I have to click on my preferred network, but I can live with that.

IO80211Family version is 2.0

IONetworkingFamily version is 1.6.0

AirportAtheros Version is 3.0.

Glad it helped :)

warning:

after adding the line in the info.plist the card is recognized as airport and it even shows the available networks, but when i try to connect to a network the whole os freezes

With Leopard kexts a lot of computers get this problem -consider it a "work in progress." This seems to help in some cases:

the solution..... I took all other device ids and only left mine in there .

Connecting to WPA/WPA2 in 10.5

To connect to WPA/WPA2 networks follow this guide (thanks chipsxd). Your airport icon in the task bar may or may not work, and, you might get an error at the end of the steps - BUT you will be connected to the network

I don't know if others found out a way to connect to a secured wireless connection with the Tiger kext? ... but I think I have found a solution:

You have to use the 'Assist me' -> 'Diagnostics', to connect to your secured connection, it worked fine for me. I took the liberty to include screenshots in this post, so you can see how I did it...

Picture5.png

I had to use the System Preferences -> Network -> Assist me... -> Diagnostics -> AirPort -> ... to get me connected to my access point

Picture4.png

Here you see me connected to my secured wifi connection

A little tip to make life easier. under /system/library/CoreServices is the Network Diagnostics.app. Drag it onto your dock and use it to connect - saves a few clicks

To make it connect automatically at login:

Use chipxsd's script from here

or:

sudo chmod +s /usr/sbin/networksetup

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

networksetup -setairportnetwork "yournetwork" "yourpassword"

Note: if you get these symptoms:

When OSX loads, I see the Airport icon on the bar, but it doesn't seem to work. When I load the System Profiler, it says "Airport is currently off".

Then

You just need to edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file

edit the string <string>en0</string>

to <string>en1</string> (or en2 if you have other network cards i guess)

and string <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

to <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer> <--- this number shall reflect the one used in the other.. so if you have en1 it shoud be 1 and en2 should be 2 and so on.

Then just reboot and check your network settings. It should find a new Airport card.

(Thanks thew.)

Extension_folder_fix.dmg

Edited by consolation

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a known solution for Atheros 5523-based cards? Mine appears in System Profiler (vendor ID 0cf3 and device ID 0002), and it indicates that the manufacturer is Atheros, but this plist mod will not work.

The kext itself says it's for the 5424, but here it works for the 5212. Is there any way of knowing what the difference is?

Is there a known solution for Atheros 5523-based cards? Mine appears in System Profiler (vendor ID 0cf3 and device ID 0002), and it indicates that the manufacturer is Atheros, but this plist mod will not work.

The kext itself says it's for the 5424, but here it works for the 5212. Is there any way of knowing what the difference is?

Have you tried adding the id to the other atheros plist? -probably delete it first from the 5424 one

• 1 month later...

I must be doing something wrong. I have the same card as consolation, with the same manufacturer ID and device ID. I followed the instructions:

1. added the <string>pci168c,13</string> to the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist file
  2. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
  3. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
  4. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
  5. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
  6. and finally rebooted the machine

When OSX loads, I see the Airport icon on the bar, but it doesn't seem to work. When I load the System Profiler, it says "Airport is currently off".

I did all that on a fresh 10.4.8 installation. What am I doing wrong?

My Hackintosh setup:

- P5W64 mobo

- Intel QX6700

- 2GB DDR2

- ATI X1590XT

- TP-LINK 651G

Can someone please help me?

I must be doing something wrong. I have the same card as consolation, with the same manufacturer ID and device ID. I followed the instructions:
  1. added the <string>pci168c,13</string> to the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist file
  2. sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
  3. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
  4. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
  5. sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
  6. and finally rebooted the machine

I did all that on a fresh 10.4.8 installation. What am I doing wrong?

My Hackintosh setup:

- P5W64 mobo

- Intel QX6700

- 2GB DDR2

- ATI X1590XT

- TP-LINK 651G

Can someone please help me?

Are you using plist editor to edit the plist? I find that nano in terminal works as well, but you have to be VERY careful with formatting. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe use the kext from 10.4.5, you will only get plain airport with that, but it could be a fall back option while you try to work things out.

Else, apply apple's 10.4.8 combo, replace kernel and Applesmbios.kext before reboot and try again.

You just need to edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file

edit the string <string>en0</string>

to <string>en1</string> (or en2 if you have other network cards i guess)

and string <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

to <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer> <--- this number shall reflect the one used in the other.. so if you have en1 it shoud be 1 and en2 should be 2 and so on.

Then just reboot and check your network settings. It should find a new Airport card.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used this method in an attempt to get my Netgear WG311T Wireless Card to work. I'm using JaS 10.4.8. I believed this was the correct method, I applied it and ended up seeing no results so I reset in hope it would update then. Instead I found I was stuck at the Grey loading screen with the swirling not pinwheel. I have a backed up kext but I can't get into console or anything to replace it. I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.

JaS 10.4.8

E6600 Processor

P5B Asus Mother Board

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Consolation,

I read this entire thread and gave it a whirl on a new HP a6040n Desktop. Its a 945G chipset Asus board with Built in Lan. That does not seem to work.

I bought a Netgear Wireless PCI card for cheap but its new and its a WG311TNA. I loaded a Linux Live CD and ran LSPCI -nn and checked everythign and its the same card manufacturer and ID as yours exactly. It read out as AR5212 802.11abg NIC [168c:0013] (Rev 01).

I used plist editor as well although not sure what the difference between using that and nano is?

I noticed you enter 13 and not 0013 not sure why but I entered as you did pci168c,13

I see the airport Icon on the top menu bar and its off.

I did as they said here to modify the file and change en0 to en1 even tried en2 and changed the other line of script as it sais to with the exact same number. Also edited it in plist editor.

I did not do the apple combo update. The one you download? I think they are on 10.4.10 now.

You said to save the kernel and the Applesmbios.kext, but what about the system.kext as well? Any other kexts I should save and resore?

Another question how do they get these IDs? Like I did or is there a command in MAC terminal to get the ID? I tried lspci lshal etc etc. Is there a different BSD command for that? I am thinkning not?

Ok here is what my config looks like and tell me what you think is wrong?

My Linkysy WDM300N works right out of the box without any modifications but as soon as I do an update like Uphuck's combo update it kills my network altogether. I have to try to apple Combo update and restore the usual files. There is a tutorial on this and there a are a few other kexts to save and loginwindow.app as well. No biggie!!

Built-in Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4:

Configuration Method: DHCP

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Proxies:

FTP Proxy Enabled: No

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Gopher Proxy Enabled: No

HTTP Proxy Enabled: No

HTTPS Proxy Enabled: No

RTSP Proxy Enabled: No

SOCKS Proxy Enabled: No

Built-in FireWire:

Type: FireWire

Hardware: FireWire

BSD Device Name: fw0

IPv4:

Configuration Method: DHCP

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Proxies:

Proxy Configuration Method: Manual

ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Auto Discovery Enabled: No

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:11:d8:00:01:2f:e0:2d

Media Options: Full Duplex

Media Subtype: autoselect

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x5A00)

Wireless Card Locale: Unknown

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 0.1.27

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware:

HP Desktop a6040n Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ

Asus IPLBL-LA 945G chipset

2 Gigs ram

OSX86 Jas 10.4.8 latest DVD PPF1 PPF2 SSE2 SSE3 HPET

Consolation,

I was finally able to make them work both the Netgear WG311TNA and the Buffalo Card which is a Broadcom chipset 4318.

I was not able to get my Linksys WPN300N to work in Uphuck's 10.4.9 only in Jas 10.4.8. I see it in the Network as Airport but not in the Airport config. When I run Network from the Profiler it shows it in Red and when I click connect I get the signal window and It does nothing, sais its off?

I wonder if I need to update to Airport Express?

What do I need to save again? the AppleSMBIOS.kext and Kernel only? What about System.kext and FamilyNetwork and IO80211 kexts?

Would you happen to know which Kexts I need to modify for USB Wireless and which ones are for the LAN Ethernet both PCI and BUilt into the Motherboard?

Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

Hi,

I was just typing you a reply when you posted.. I'll try to help, but it might be sporadic; me and my partner had a new baby yesterday... When you do a system update you need to keep (or re-edit) ALL the kexts you modified for your system. If you are using apple update (as opposed to the pre hacked versions), you will need to keep your AppleSMBIOS.kext and put in a hacked Kernel.

My understanding is that the kexts that deal with usb bus and pci bus are separate from the network chipsets, i.e. you need both to run but only the network ones need concern us; as long as the device meets usb or pci spec. I could be wrong

What chipset is the Linksys WPN300N?

P.S. What did you need to do to get your netgear running?