Interesting.... D600 with Broadcom 5701 Ethernet

Amadeus Hack

4 posts in this topic

Well I kept trying to boot the JaS 10.4.7 cd in my Dell Latitude D600, but time after time and reburn after reburn I could not get it to work. Well I was able to get it booted and installed on my Compaq Evo N1020V without issue. So I took the hard drive out of the N1020V and installed it into the D600 and lo and behold it booted right up without issue and never missed a beat....... I was also able to get the Broadcom 5701 Gigabit Ethernet card working with this little tutorial....... The first 5 steps I did with my Windows machine (it was pretty simple to do.......) I pulled the orginal from http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t22114.html, I am just re-writing it to simplify it a bit.

I did this on a Dell Latitude D600 with OSx86 Version JaS 10.4.7

IF POSSIBLE DO THE FIRST 5 STEPS ON A WINDOWS BOX........

1) Download the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip attached to this post.

2) Extract the contents of AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip to your hard drive

3) Go to \AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext\Contents and edit info.plist with notepad/wordpad

find the sequence:

"<string>pci14e4,165e</string>" (without the quotes)

and add this string right below it:

"<string>pci14e4,169d</string>" (once again without the quotes)

Save it.

4)Get yourself a Hex Editor (HHD Software Hex Editor works nicely....), and open up

\AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext\Contents\MacOS\AppleBCM5701Ethernet (the file with no extension)

use search and replace, and find everything with "66 81 FA 59 16" and replace with "66 81 FA 9D 16" (i.e. use replace all...you should get around 40-50

replacements)

5) Search and replace --- "75 71" to "EB 71" (i.e. replace all...should only be one replacement)

Save the "AppleBCM5701Ethernet" file.

6) In your OSx86 install, copy over the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/

7) In your OSx86 install open up terminal and follow the commands set out by hater and tinhead, namely:

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

kextcache -c

(after you type the "kextcache -c" command in and hit enter, you will see a long string of info, be patient, it takes a few minutes to process, you will see some error message, don't be alarmed.......)

8) reboot

You should be able to open up a browser and start surfing!!!!

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

• 6 months later...

WOW.... Thankyou very much Amadeus Hack !!!!

you are my hero....

how about setting up the modem port and the wireless?

would you please tell me?

Well I kept trying to boot the JaS 10.4.7 cd in my Dell Latitude D600, but time after time and reburn after reburn I could not get it to work. Well I was able to get it booted and installed on my Compaq Evo N1020V without issue. So I took the hard drive out of the N1020V and installed it into the D600 and lo and behold it booted right up without issue and never missed a beat....... I was also able to get the Broadcom 5701 Gigabit Ethernet card working with this little tutorial....... The first 5 steps I did with my Windows machine (it was pretty simple to do.......) I pulled the orginal from http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t22114.html, I am just re-writing it to simplify it a bit.

I did this on a Dell Latitude D600 with OSx86 Version JaS 10.4.7

IF POSSIBLE DO THE FIRST 5 STEPS ON A WINDOWS BOX........

1) Download the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip attached to this post.

2) Extract the contents of AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip to your hard drive

3) Go to \AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext\Contents and edit info.plist with notepad/wordpad

find the sequence:

"<string>pci14e4,165e</string>" (without the quotes)

and add this string right below it:

"<string>pci14e4,169d</string>" (once again without the quotes)

Save it.

4)Get yourself a Hex Editor (HHD Software Hex Editor works nicely....), and open up

\AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext\Contents\MacOS\AppleBCM5701Ethernet (the file with no extension)

use search and replace, and find everything with "66 81 FA 59 16" and replace with "66 81 FA 9D 16" (i.e. use replace all...you should get around 40-50

replacements)

5) Search and replace --- "75 71" to "EB 71" (i.e. replace all...should only be one replacement)

Save the "AppleBCM5701Ethernet" file.

6) In your OSx86 install, copy over the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/

7) In your OSx86 install open up terminal and follow the commands set out by hater and tinhead, namely:

sudo -s

cd /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

kextcache -c

(after you type the "kextcache -c" command in and hit enter, you will see a long string of info, be patient, it takes a few minutes to process, you will see some error message, don't be alarmed.......)

8) reboot

You should be able to open up a browser and start surfing!!!!

• 8 months later...
hi please can any one tell me urgent that i have Mac OS X 10.4.8 and i use same thing on my Dell D600 but my net not working. i am a new user please can any one help me out what i do?

please reply urgent.

Thanks

try use this...

ready to use without editing with hex editor.

it`s works for me on 10.4.6

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip