Mount ext3 partitions in OS X?

doortokaos

27 posts in this topic

Hi there it's me again, the total OS X noob....

So OS X mounted my Windoze drives automatically, but I don't know how to mount my ext3 Linux partition.

I found a nice tool for ext2 partition on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/), and it seems that it possibly could mount ext3 too, but I always get an error on mounting my ext3 partition:

Vorgang: Mount

Gerät: disk0s3

Nachricht: Unsupported request (The filesystem may need repair. Please use Disk Utility to check the filesystem.)

Fehler: 0xF8DA000C

Has anyone any advice for me?

Greeting door

So OS X mounted my Windoze drives automatically, but I don't know how to mount my ext3 Linux partition.

I found a nice tool for ext2 partition on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/), and it seems that it possibly could mount ext3 too, but I always get an error on mounting my ext3 partition:

Nachricht: Unsupported request (The filesystem may need repair. Please use Disk Utility to check the filesystem.)

Greeting door

The GUI doesn't work. Try to mount it through the mount command (since you are a Linux user, you shouldn't have any problem to use the shell, should you?) :)

Yeah the shell is a real handy thing...

So if I try to mount the partition I get an error, but first the command I tried:

#sudo -s

#mount -t ext3 /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/Linux

mount: exec /usr/sbin/mount_ext3 for /Volumes/Linux: No such file or directory

I tried if it works with -t ext2 but then I get the following error:

mount_ext2: canceled automount on /dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/Linux: Operation canceled

Oh and I got ext2fsx version 1.4d3...

And I'm sure that disk0s3 is the right partition...

Any ideas?

Greetings door

Yeah the shell is a real handy thing...

So if I try to mount the partition I get an error, but first the command I tried:

#sudo -s

#mount -t ext3 /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/Linux

mount: exec /usr/sbin/mount_ext3 for /Volumes/Linux: No such file or directory

I tried if it works with -t ext2 but then I get the following error:

mount_ext2: canceled automount on /dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/Linux: Operation canceled

Oh and I got ext2fsx version 1.4d3...

And I'm sure that disk0s3 is the right partition...

Any ideas?

Greetings door

You need to mount it as ext2.

Try the following:

mount_ext2 -o rdonly -x /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/Linux

Disable automount if enabled via GUI.

Let me know if it works.

It seems that partitions mounted via the shell don't show up on the desktop automatically. However, if you go to Go->Go To Folder in Finder, and type in the path to your new mount point ("/Volumes/Linux" or whatever), it will open up your linux partition in GUI, and the drive icon for Linux will also magically show up on the desktop as well, as you'll see it in your applications.

I've added the commands to mount my ext3 partitions to /etc/rc, so that they get mounted at boot. If you do the same, you'll see these partitions in the GUI whenever you boot OS X, so you don't have to go through mounting them manually through the terminal and then making them appear using the trick described above.

Oh very sweet... now I can access the ext3 partition through the Finder.

Thank you so very much. Both of you. :(

That isn't really an OS X topic, but is there something like that for OS X partitions in Windoze? So that I can access my OS X partition in Windoze?

Thank you so very much. Both of you. :)

You are welcome! :)

That isn't really an OS X topic, but is there something like that for OS X partitions in Windoze? So that I can access my OS X partition in Windoze?

Even Linux partitions are not fully supported in Windoze.

Create a FAT32 partition to exchage files with Windoze. It's safer!

Great that worked... But I don't see it in the Finder... Is there anyway to integrate it?

Maybe you can use disktool?

Usage: -a -- Notify of mount. Adds the disk to the Disk Arbitrations

internal tables.

Useful when you have already forced the mount and want

to let applications know it.

(ex. disktool -a disk1 AFPVolName AFPFlags)

so once it is mounted try the following:

disktool -a /dev/disk0s3 Linux

I have not tried this so I might not have the syntax right or it might not work but it is worth a try.

skn, this one is new, and it works but so dose macdrive...hint....hint...

I totally agree that it's easy to fu** things up and I always use fat32 partitions for writing around different os's

Thank you Joe75! I'll try in on my notebook... :D

Well I wish I could abendon Windows, but I need to use Windowssoftware at my University, because there is nothing compareable in Linux...

Im always using the officially unsopprted partition types (e.g. ext2/3 in Windows, ntfs in OS X and so on) in readmode only. The writemodes can fu** things up thats right. But read only is sufficient to me and in that mode there shouldn't be any grave problems.

I just want to thank all of you for your hints, now I got my system nearly perfectly running.

Greetings door

• 2 months later...

Greeting door

Hi,

I have read your posting and I have a similar problem. I am trying to run a drive that seems to be ext2 or even ext3 and I want to read it/use it on a mac. I could use it on a PC but only as a last resort. I am using some software that recognises the drive but does not let me mount it - it gives me the same error message as you had above (only mine is in English :rolleyes: )

The guy who helped you out went into some Linux techy speak that I got very confused about so I was wondering if there was a simple solution you or someone else can help me with.

This would be a great help as I really can't lose this data.

Thanks!

Paul

• 9 months later...

Greeting door

here are my discoveries...

1) if you have that problem try to run fsck from the linux box (or cd live ...)... in ubuntu you have also a automatic grub boot option named recovery mode

after that osx should be able to recognize the partition

2) my REAL problem was the write access to the partition (i.e. it was always mounted in read only)... I discovered that in the release note of b3 version extfsx says that write is disabled for filesystem with dir_index feature enabled

2.1.) I tried to disable it with the command tune2fs ... I had to repair the fs from the linux box (same error of you) ... and now I have the partition ext3 in read/write enabled...

I didn't stress the thing at the moment... but I didn't find anywhere this suggestion... so I want to share with this community

PS in ext2FSmanager there the checkbox for Indexed Directory support... so perhaps it should be working, but in my case it didn't...

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I'm also a TOTAL OS X noob and i'm trying to mount my old ext3 drive on OS X (10.5.2) , i'm using ext2fsx version 1.4d3.

Using

bash-3.2# mount_ext2 -o rdonly -x /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/Linux/

I'm getting the error:

mount_ext2: /dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/Linux: Resource busy

can anyone help?

Thankx

palohi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to mount an ext3 partition and get the following error:

bash-3.2# mount_ext2 /dev/disk0s3 /media/linux1

extension /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext does not contain code for this architecture

mount_ext2: ext2 filesystem is not available

any ideas?

• 1 month later...
extension /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext does not contain code for this architecture

Sounds like if you were triying to use a PPC kext on an Intel System.

Are you sure is the universal version of ext2fs the one you're using?

For what I know you need to disable Journaling in the ext2/3 volume before triying to use it on OS X to avoid data corruption.

• 6 months later...

Good day everybody.I am a newcomer to osx so please excuse any stupid questions.I have been looking around for about 2 days for a solution to my problem.Here goes:I have a dualboot system,fedora core 10 and macosx 10.5.2 intel installed on it,the problem occured when i found out that i cannot acces my LVM partitions(about 200GB).The osx does not even see the partition exist during install nor after,so I think it must be some kind of kernel module needed for it to work (Detect and mount LVM volumes),but the lack of knowlege in understanding the system is a major brake here.so please,if anybody knows how to solve the problem,be so kind and post it,tanks in advance

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I use Asus WL-500 GP v2 router, and I have problem with my USB HDD WD Passport II 160GB.

Samba, FTP, LighTPD are running on.

It is formated to ext3.

If I reboot it, than a piece of lock to start.

(I tried with IP, and wifi, and in one moment connected it.

I can connect to Samba with Finder, and I can connect to Oleg system with Terminal.)

I think, the HDD have bad sectors...

How can i defraging, or cheking it under OSX?

If it not possible under osx, than will I install Linux with Parallel?

(Witch Linux version?)