Mountain Lion 32-bit Kernel?

mnfesq

55 posts in this topic

Netkas reported that he compiled a 32-bit XNU kernel for ML. Here's the link: http://netkas.org/?p=1187 I tried it out (mach_kernel and System.kext) and the kernel loaded with the arch=i386 boot argument. However, I got a KP almost immediately because the corecrypto.kext would not load.

Has anyone else tried out this kernel? Any success stories yet?

I tried replacing /System/Library/Extensions with the /Extensions folder from ML DP1 (DP1 contains 32-bit kexts), but almost immediately get a panic relating to AppleACPIPlatform, IOACPIFamily, and IOPCIFamily kexts. I've tried numerous combinations of 10.7.4/10.6.8 versions of these kexts as well, but no matter what I get the same panic.

Panic is AppleACPIPlatform.kext with IOACPIFamily and IOPCIFamily as dependencies. Also get a KP relating to AppleEFINVRAM and AppleEFIRuntime.

Edited by yellowviolent

replacing /System/Library/Extensions with the /Extensions folder from ML DP1..... and i testing......... NO WAYbeachball.gif

yes, but if you read the thread down, you can see that the patched 32-bit boot.efi can run 64-bit kernel !!!

http://netkas.org/?p=1191

so, i think that with this patched 32-bit boot.efi (maybe with somme others files) and the future 32-bit kernel (meklort patched xnu-files), we'll can make working ML on 32-bit system !!! ;)

It's what i'll try to do, i'm just in wait for meklort ML xnu patch ! :D

This

32-bit XNU kernel allows 32 Bit EFI Macs load the 64 kexts so that they can run ML. This is by no means meant for hackintoshes.

No sense. If you create a ML-32bit that intended for 32bit CPU then you can't run 64bit kext because your CPU can't run it.

• Like 1

I have Macbook with 32bit EFI but it can run 64bit extensions and CPU is 64bit capable Core 2 Duo. Issue with forcing it to run 64bit kernel is the gma950 kexts. I don't want to be guinea pig, but I think only on these few macs would it be of any use.

MacBook.jpg fish — 80×24.jpg

No sense. If you create a ML-32bit that intended for 32bit CPU then you can't run 64bit kext because your CPU can't run it.

No, the 32 bit EFI Macs support 64 bit but the EFI limits it. Stop thinking like Windows because it does not work the same...

No, the 32 bit EFI Macs support 64 bit but the EFI limits it. Stop thinking like Windows because it does not work the same...

Since he created half the software that makes hackintosh even possible (thank you!) I think he has pretty good idea of how it works :) I think we just mixing up difference between efi and cpu a wee bit.. So, I had fun with photoshop :)

icloudlol.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes, 32bit EFI can run 64bit system if CPU is 64bit capable.

What is the question? About Hackintosh? You can just install 64bit EFI.

it's like by the past with Lion DP1, on macmini solo core (2006 i think), some people were able to install Lion DP1 on it, DP1 was still in 32-bit !

so like i said, it may be possible with this patched 32-bit EFI coupled with meklort 32-bit patched kernel ML ( i hope :D) to install ML on 32-bit CPU system.

we can dream, right ? :D

Do not mix, please. If CPU is 32-bit only then it can run 32-bit only programs. ONLY.

No matter if you make a patch.

Yes, Lion DP1 contains 32bit codes in kernel, in kexts, in programs. It may go with 32bit CPU.

For ML forget! No one chance. No matter if a best hacker in the world will patch the kernel. There are 64-bit only kexts, frameworks and programs.

32bit codes and 64bit codes are different. They can't be adopted by some tricks.

• Like 1

Need to replace hardware,inside in Cupertino have big brain..... :thumbsup_anim: old hardware out off box...