Re-Branded Atheros AR5007 ( AR242x / AR542x ) not working on Snow Leopard

PumaTechTV

8 posts in this topic

UPDATE 3- I actually figured out something, thanks to the help of LatinMcG. What appears to be wrong is that the card is rebranded to a brcm subid. The problem now is, what is an apple compatible, and compatible with my card, b/g only subsys ID's. I dont know where i can find subsystem ID's, so if you could give me one for my card, or atleast point me to the right direction, that'd be awesome.

UPDATE 2- It seems that my previous hypothesis was invalid. I fixed my computer to load the wifi card at startup and it loads it properly on both windows 7 and ubuntu; however when i try to boot it into snow leopard, it desn't even see the card. Please help, im getting desperate.

UPDATE- I belive i (partially) found the problem! The hypothesis is that my card isn't starting when my computer is starting. For example, my card should start up, or turn on, or atleast enable wlan, during the BIOS screen; If not, before Snow Leopard starts up. I figured this out when i went on ubuntu. I had to press the wireless button to enable wireless. The new question now is: How do I make my wifi card so start up during the BIOS, or before Snow Leopard starts?

Hey guys! I successfully rebranded my card (ar5007) using iHack13 's guide. When I installed 10.6.1, 2, or 3, A kernel panic would occur. I was able to fix these kernel panics, involving the kexts AirPortBrcm4311.kext and AppleTycmeDriver.kext by going into single mode or windows and deleting them from there. The thing is, that after i successfully boot, my airport card is not recognized. My card should work OTB but it doesn't. Not even system profiler can see it! But how can it not see something that is branded ad an Apple AirPort card? the sub id's are 106b:4e and the card is a b/g only card

Here is my lspci -vvnn:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:001c] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Apple Inc. Device [106b:004e]
Physical Slot: 1
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
Region 0: Memory at d2600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
	Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
Capabilities: [60] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us
		ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-
	DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
		RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
		MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
	DevSta:	CorrErr- UncorrErr+ FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
	LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <512ns, L1 <64us
		ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
	LnkCtl:	ASPM Disabled; RCB 128 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
		ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
	LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Count=1 Masked-
	Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00000000
	PBA: BAR=0 offset=00000000
Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
	UESta:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol-
	UEMsk:	DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
	UESvrt:	DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
	CESta:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
	CEMsk:	RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
	AERCap:	First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
Capabilities: [140 v1] Virtual Channel
	Caps:	LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
	Arb:	Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
	Ctrl:	ArbSelect=Fixed
	VC0:	Caps:	PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
		Arb:	Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
		Ctrl:	Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=01
Kernel driver in use: ath5k
Kernel modules: ath5k

I can supply with any pictures or logs from terminal/verbose mode needed. I have access to ubuntu and windows+transmac if needed.

Thanks in adavance

Here are my computer specs:

hpg50specs.png

Edited by PumaTechTV

Did you delete only the bcm4311 plugin or the entire IO80211family.kext? And if not, finding out why the broadcom plugin was causing KP may lead to the solution

Did you delete only the bcm4311 plugin or the entire IO80211family.kext? And if not, finding out why the broadcom plugin was causing KP may lead to the solution

Thanks for your reply! Ionly deleted the bcm4311.kext .... I actually figured out something, thanks to the help of LatinMcg. What appears to be wrong is that the card is rebranded to a brcm subid. The problem now is, what is an apple compatible, atheros chipset, b/g only subsys ID's. I dont know where i can find subsystem ID's, so if you could give me one for my card, or atleast point me to the right direction, that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

-PumaTechTV

what is currently after rebranding the device, vendor and sub sys ID's?

I have AR5008 in my MacBook and also in my Hack, same apple card. Vendor ID is 168c, but device ID's will be different, your's "probably" 001c. Not sure on sub

Before rebranding-

device id's- 168:1c
sub id's: 103c:137a

After rebrand-

device id's- 168:1c
sub id's- 106b:4e 

And i just encountered a new problem. On Ubuntu, i can no longer change the id's. When i change the sub id's to 106b:87 (or 106:0087 they are theoretically the same) in the EEPROM it only updates the EEPROM, but when i do:

lspci -vvnn

it gives me the same id's as before, which would be 106b:4e

From lspci in OSX (AR5008)

Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Unknown device [106b:0087]

your device ID is missing the "c", in your last post, but is present in your OP