Mini 10v dual boot guide: Ubuntu 10.10/OS X 10.6.7 (NBI 0.8.5pre) for newbs...like me :)

bugjah

1 post in this topic

I have a fully functional dual boot OS X 10.6.7/Ubuntu Mini 10v using Meklort's latest (final?) NBI version: 0.8.5pre.

I have had all manner of problems in the past with many other configurations of single and dual boot, using different versions of SL and NBI...all worked for a while and then all crashed spectacularly and unrecoverably at some point.

Now I think I might have finally gotten it right, so I wanted to share what I did.

1. Using my purchased Snow Leopard DVD (10.6.0), I made a bootable USB disk image of SL bundled with Meklort's NetBook Installer (NBI) 0.8.5pre

To do this, I followed the basic Gizmodo protocol for making the bootable USB, just using NBI 0.8.5pre instead, which I got here:

http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

2. Start up the Mini 10V, press F2 to go into the BIOS settings.

3. Set USB legacy and USB wake support to "ENABLED"; set Function keys to "MULTIMEDIA"; set bluetooth to "DISABLED"

4. Put USB at the top of the boot order; save and exit.

5. As it boots up, press a key if necessary to choose the boot volume ("Mac Os X Install" is I think what it is called by default).

6. When the installer starts up, open disk utility, erase the hard disk completely, assign one Mac OS journaled (HFS) partition and leave plenty of free space (I left like 60 GB free).

[You will later use Ubuntu to make four more partitions in this free space: the Ubuntu boot partition, the Ubuntu partition for the system and home files, etc, the Linux swap partition, and a FAT32 partition to make file sharing easier between the OS X and the Linux environments.]

7. Exit disk utitlity, install OS X

8. Try to be present when it finishes installing and restarts automatically. Press F2 to adjust the BIOS settings before it restarts OS X.

9. Remove your Install USB disk. Set USB legacy and USB wake support to "DISABLED." Put HARD DISK at the top of the boot order; save and exit.

10. Let OS X boot up. Follow the registration steps. Make up something funny for your home address (I put "420 Stone Way").

11. Once you are looking at your OS X desktop, fix the trackpad settings, or better yet, plug in a USB mouse so you don't go nuts AND fix the trackpad settings.

12. Download the OS X 10.6.7 combined update. Run the update. DO NOT RESTART.

13. Open NBI 0.8.5 and re-install ("Update Install"). Remove any USB externals (e.g. USB mouse). Restart.

14. According to Meklort, you may lose sound and wi-fi. I didn't. If you do, Meklort writes that you should run the following in terminal:

sudo kextcache -system-mkext

15. In System Preferences -- Energy Saver, I set Display Sleep to 10 minutes, but "Computer Sleep" to Never. I feel like when the computer goes to sleep on my 10v hackintoshes, problems start accumulating...

16. I also feel (but have no evidence that) leaving a USB peripheral (e.g. keyboard, mouse) plugged in when you restart the computer might be bad.

[someone with more knowledge than me (which is most of you): please comment on #15 & #16 above.]

17. I have not and will not ever run Update Extra per:

http://www.mydellmin...s-10-6-7-a.html

[At this point, if you don't have one already, you'll need to make a bootable Ubuntu USB disk. I made it a while back. The steps below follow the steps for version 10.10 bootable Ubuntu USB disk]

18. Now restart the mini 10v, press F2, insert your bootable Ubuntu USB drive.

19. Set USB legacy and USB wake support to "ENABLED"; put USB at the top of the boot order; save and exit.

20. You should start into Ubuntu automatically. Choose "Install Ubuntu on a hard drive"

21. Follow the menu options. Make sure to select the option for downloading updates during install or something like that. Otherwise your wireless won't work.

22. When it asks where you want to install, say you want to choose the install location manually (advanced partition settings).

23. You should have 2 partitions on your hard drive right now : the Chameleon Boot partition (sda1) and the Mac OS X partition (sda2). And you should have some free space. I had 60GB (see step 6, above). Here's what I did.

24. Select the free space, add a partition, make it 40GB, format it as FAT32, mount point: /dos

Save. This is sda3.

25. Select the remaining free space (should have 20GB free), add a partition, make it 2 GB, format it as Ext4 jornaled, set mount point as: /boot

Save. This is sda4.

26. Select the remaining free space (should have 18GB free), add a partition, make it 17 GB, format it as Ext4 journaled, set mount point as: /

Save. This is sda5.

27. Select the last part of the free space as the swap area (no mount point).

Save.

28. Now set the bootloader to install to sda4

(if you screw up this step, you will write over chameleon!!)

29. Press Install and let it go.

30. Restart (I always have to do a cold shutdown at this point, not sure why).

31. On startup, press F2, remove your Ubuntu USB disk, Set USB legacy and USB wake support to "DISABLED." Put HARD DISK at the top of the boot order; save and exit.

32. Press any key when you see the OS X start up to get the boot options. You should see 3 choices: your Os X volume, the FAT32 volume [which has no OS, so is not in fact bootable), and Linux!

33. Choose Linux, then the default choice at the subsequent menu, and Ubuntu should start up!

34. Once in Ubuntu, I followed these instructions to match permissions:

http://superuser.com...u-as-read-write

35…and these to mount my HFS and FAT32 volumes automatically on Ubuntu startup

http://docs.cslabs.c...OS_X_and_Ubuntu

36. Enjoy!