[Guide] Install OSX Lion Dell XPS m1530

Chatlink

32 posts in this topic

GUIDE Dell XPS m1530 Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2

This guide is based on my own experience installing OSX Lion. I didn’t hade any experience with hackintosh, so it might not be done the most efficient way. I got it all running in four hours. If you follow this guide, you can probably do it in less then two.

My specs are:

2,10 GHz processor (shouldn’t matter)

3GB RAM (shouldn’t matter)

Broadcom BCM4315 Wireless card (does matter)

What doesn’ t work for me:

• Microphone is too faint to be called working

Files you need:

I also give the links to the download inside de tuturial, but for pre-downloading is this the list:

Lets start!

Step zero: Make mac with a mac

If you don’t have a mac installation, we need to create one. The way I did was installing Snow Leopard first. Just get a retail version of sleopard from some site and follow http://www.insanelym...pic=223470&st=0 till you have it booted. When you have: continue with step 1.

1: Disabling speedstep

Disable Speedstep in you bios. If you do not you will get random freezes. Which you do not want during an installation.

To do this: 1. Press F2 right after you hit the start button

2. Go to performance settings

3. Disable speedstep

4. Do not enable it again until I say so

2: Installing Lion

If you have access to a Mac installation you can use the this guide:

http://tonymacx86.bl...lion-using.html. Do a clean install and after step 3 you should come back here.

3: Drivers from custom package, do NOT reboot untill i say so

After that take look at /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Change the string of Graphics Mode to your resolution.

Also check out an other file in de /Extra directory. Open smbios.plist

You might want to change the "SMmaximalclock" to your own. Eg for 2,4Ghz, make it 2400.

5: Install kext utility and chameleon

• Put kext utility in your application directory
  • Run the chameleon installer

Run kextutility to repair permissions, then reboot into the bios.

4: Enable speedstep

Do step one again, but now you have to enable it offcourse.

5: Updating to 10.7.3

Now you should be able to install de 10.7.3 update. Use the Combo update package from the Apple site.

6: WiFi for BCM43xx

If you have working WIFI now, you can skip this step. If you have a Intel wireless chip, you’re screwed. If you have a Broadcom chip do this:

To make WIFI work on BCM43xx:

1. Remove the file /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

2. Add the kext of IO80211Family.kext.zip instead

3. Run KextUtility

7: Fix sleep

Open a terminal and execute this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Problem is that ethernet will not work after recovered from sleep. Better than no sleep at all.

Optional:

• To speed up your graphics a bit: Google for “Nvidia mac driver” and install the latest version.
  • Remove kexts which cause non fatal errors on bootup: If you start in verbose you see some errors caused by non functional kexts. You can remove the following kexts to get rid of the errors and safe some bootup time. Remove these from /System/Library/Extensions: audioAUUC.kext , applehda.kext. Run afterwards kext utility.

I hope you now have a perfectly working install. Leave a reply if you don’t.

Thanks to all the people who made this so easy.

Edit 19 February 2012: removed ######, because it is not cool.

Edit 2 april 2012: new buildbot link and other trackpad/keyboard kext.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the guide,

everything works but the keyboard and touchpad.

any ideas how I can fix that?

thank you

Don't have any because mine is working fine. Will look into it though.

BTW: wifi doesn't work anymore after update to 7.3.

For the WiFi problem: Somehow updated the 10.7.3 update the IO80211Family.kext which caused a kernel panic. You need to replace it again after the 7.3 update. Replace it with the one from the first post.

For your non working keyboard and touchpad: You can see in the install screenshot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in the first post that the ApplePS2Controller.kext isn't recognized as installed. I might made a mistake recalling everything i have done. (Maybe i got the kext from somewhere else.) I attached the kext i'm using right now.ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Replace it with the one you have atm. Afterwards run kextutility en reboot.

Hope this fixes it. If not, tell me and we will look for a solution.

hello there buddy

I'm the reference from the osx install, just checking cuz i was about to update; did you try to lower the number of kexts and tried to insert specific dsdt.aml?

this is the topic that i am refering to;

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=190780

The number of kexts is already pretty low. Right now, the total is 4.

I picked the last generic dsdt (2011/10/29) because I don't see the profit from a specific one.

Btw thank you for your snow leopard guide it made the lion installation a lot easier for me.

oh no mentions, the thing is when u have a ready install it makes everything better (multiple hdd clones etc.) I just finished updating my other machine atm i am tryin to make the same updated hdd work on the m1530... we'll see how it will end.. lol

this {censored} is fun to play with :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a new URL for the latest chameleon .pkg? The link in the OP (http://builds.voodoo...uilds/Xcode4.1/) just throws a 404 error, and I'm having to use the USB stick to boot. After using this chameleon (2.1svn-r1768), I can't get the onboard keyboard or trackpad to work at all with ApplePS2Controller.kext in both /extra/extensions and /system/library/extensions (and yes, I've used kext utility).

Other than that, the guide worked great (except freezing during installation, which just needed lots of attempts with speedstep / wifi / BT off and plenty of ventilation, and a good pinch of luck)

Is there a new URL for the latest chameleon .pkg? The link in the OP (http://builds.voodoo...uilds/Xcode4.1/) just throws a 404 error, and I'm having to use the USB stick to boot. After using this chameleon (2.1svn-r1768), I can't get the onboard keyboard or trackpad to work at all with ApplePS2Controller.kext in both /extra/extensions and /system/library/extensions (and yes, I've used kext utility).

Other than that, the guide worked great (except freezing during installation, which just needed lots of attempts with speedstep / wifi / BT off and plenty of ventilation, and a good pinch of luck)

I started using some other appleps2controller.kext, which i didn't upload to here :P. I will replace the link in the first post.

Here is the new chameleon buildbot link: http://www.meklort.com/. The newest build is r1902.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide! It took some time but I've finally upgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.6 to Lion 10.7.3. Thank you for the supplying the Kext files OP.

I've run into a few issues that I haven't been able to fix quite yet. When I reboot or shutdown, the system will sometimes hang with a black screen.

Another issue that I've found is that the trackpad will not allow me to click - I have to click the button at the bottom of the pad. Not a big deal though.

Great guide! It took some time but I've finally upgraded from Snow Leopard 10.6.6 to Lion 10.7.3. Thank you for the supplying the Kext files OP.

I've run into a few issues that I haven't been able to fix quite yet. When I reboot or shutdown, the system will sometimes hang with a black screen.

Another issue that I've found is that the trackpad will not allow me to click - I have to click the button at the bottom of the pad. Not a big deal though.

I have both problems too :P. I only experience the black screen with system changes (kexts or updates eg safari) or with reboot. I know it can be annoying sometimes :(.

I didn't really search to fix the clicking behaviour, because the buttons are quite easy to push and you won't click accidentally while typing (which I did very often with windows).

I have both problems too :P. I only experience the black screen with system changes (kexts or updates eg safari) or with reboot. I know it can be annoying sometimes :(.

I didn't really search to fix the clicking behaviour, because the buttons are quite easy to push and you won't click accidentally while typing (which I did very often with windows).

I know there was a restart fix implemented in the DSDT in that thread. There are also a few kext files as well (EvOReboot, OSXRestart, etc.) that I may investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks 4 your guide....

Just some pointers .... if the lion installation hangs disable every option in BIOS except those Already enabled and USB related. Also remove the battery.

I found out after about 20+ frozen installations.

So, I used this guide with 10.7.3, and have been trying to get this to work for the better part of 2-weeks now. Installation was extremely difficult, with lots and lots of freezes, but I eventually got it on there. The problem I'm having now is getting it to boot up. Sometimes I get "cpu context error", but more often, it just hangs up at some random point in the boot process. I've tried verbose, ignore caches, single user; it doesn't make any difference. It can take anywhere between five and 20 (or more) forced shut-down and restarts before I get to the desktop. Once there, it's pretty stable (mostly), but, getting there....

I'm using Chameleon 2.1.

Is this some problem in the SMBios? DSDT? This laptop was running quite well on 10.6.7....

Thanks!

So, I used this guide with 10.7.3, and have been trying to get this to work for the better part of 2-weeks now. Installation was extremely difficult, with lots and lots of freezes, but I eventually got it on there. The problem I'm having now is getting it to boot up. Sometimes I get "cpu context error", but more often, it just hangs up at some random point in the boot process. I've tried verbose, ignore caches, single user; it doesn't make any difference. It can take anywhere between five and 20 (or more) forced shut-down and restarts before I get to the desktop. Once there, it's pretty stable (mostly), but, getting there....

I'm using Chameleon 2.1.

Is this some problem in the SMBios? DSDT? This laptop was running quite well on 10.6.7....

Thanks!

I can't guess what your problem is without the appropriate information. Post as much relevant information as possible.

Eg include your dsdt and smbios for a start. And which chameleon build are you using?

"I can't guess what your problem is without the appropriate information. Post as much relevant information as possible. Eg include your dsdt and smbios for a start. And which chameleon build are you using?"

Sorry I didn't give enough information. But, I think I know what it is now. I disabled VoodooBattery and now it boots quickly, and reliably. SO, I guess my real question is: Is there a battery monitor kext that works, and allow the computer to boot?

I'm using the DSDT and the smbios from the links above. BTW, thanks for this write-up. Many were the times I almost gave up on the install, only to look back at this post, thinking, "No, I know this can be done!"

"I can't guess what your problem is without the appropriate information. Post as much relevant information as possible. Eg include your dsdt and smbios for a start. And which chameleon build are you using?"

Sorry I didn't give enough information. But, I think I know what it is now. I disabled VoodooBattery and now it boots quickly, and reliably. SO, I guess my real question is: Is there a battery monitor kext that works, and allow the computer to boot?

I'm using the DSDT and the smbios from the links above. BTW, thanks for this write-up. Many were the times I almost gave up on the install, only to look back at this post, thinking, "No, I know this can be done!"

Did you look in the kernel log?

• 2 weeks later...

How did you install the 10.7.4 update? I used software update and could no longer boot? Did you use combo update? Did you just install and it worked or did you have to do anything post install to get it working again? e.g. broadcom wireless kext reinstall? I am keen to get mine up to 10.7.4. thx

How did you install the 10.7.4 update? I used software update and could no longer boot? Did you use combo update? Did you just install and it worked or did you have to do anything post install to get it working again? e.g. broadcom wireless kext reinstall? I am keen to get mine up to 10.7.4. thx

I don't use OSX anymore and use ubuntu now, so i didn't update.

Could you start up in verbose and see where it goes wrong? Type -v on startup in chameleon to do so.