[Asus U36SD] - a few dsdt questions

alianyn

140 posts in this topic

Hi, though this is my first post here, i'm not new to the osx scene and have had a few hackint0sh/osx vm's over the years.

Recently received a new laptop from work - the Asus u36sd (a bit upgraded, with 8gb memory and 7200rpm disk) - which is a great laptop with good compatibility, so i thought i'd go for a windows/lion/mint installation this time (giving each about 100gb of space).

After a few days of meddling around with dsdt's and kexts i have a pretty vanilla install of lion, upgraded to 10.7.2.

the only kexts i had to modify/add were:

1. voodoohda for sound

2. atheros kext for lan

3. modded applelpc.kext for proper support and getting rid of nullcpu

4. synaptics kext for multitouch control on the mouse pad.

in my /extra/extensions i only have left evoreboot (not sure i need that anymore) and fakesmc.

i have patched and fixed in my dsdt almost all issues for cpus and speedstep (also using speedstepper for bin-patching), sleep/shutdown, kp from hpet and wrong irq's, and wifi.

QE/CI on the Intel HD 3000 (i5 2410m sandy bridge) is working due to smbios.plist for macbookpro8,1 and a chameleon patch i did for chameleon 2.1 (latest from svn) based on the work done for chimera (just changed a few bits in the tables because it was causing me black screens due to double width pointers used).

attached are my original extracted dsdt and the modded one, as well as ioreg output.

u36sd.zip

so, what do i need help with?

1. is it possible to use the applehda kext without modifications to it with the ALC269? i mean, only using pinconfig and configdata injections from dsdt? has anyone done that? i've been trying with no success and ended up going the voodoohda way, but it does have it's drawbacks (had to change the name of hdef to snd1 so applehda does not load).

2. bluetooth - is driving me nuts. it is identified and turned on properly if the first boot is to windows. if consequent boots are to lion, it will show and work just fine. but if first boot is to lion, it will not work.

my theory is that since it's attached on an internal usb port - it is somehow not properly turned on at boot.

hopefully this just requires a dsdt patch, but i could not find anyone else suffering this (ar3011 chip). i traced it down to BRST which i assume is that status for bt and btdp which i am not sure what it does.

I tried setting both to 0x01 in many situations, all i got was a turned on wifi once...

any help would really be appreciated.

3. battery - i guess this is not working because all variables are 16 bit instead of 8, but i'm not sure and was wandering if anyone has had any experience with asus dsdt's and battery?

Other than those minot issues, this is a perfect install and i'm quite enjoying it. i used a lot of the guides and info lurking around here - so thanks to all those that already helped without even knowing.

• Like 3

oH Yeah, thanks for you information!

I've ordered this machine from amazon, I would really like to know which exact model do you have, i bought this one: ASUS U36SD-A1.

I will receive the machine in two weeks, I will try your dsdt and kexts.

I used to have a Dell XPS 1530 with iAtkos and everything was ok, but the cpu temperature was always *really* high, is your dsdt working ok with respect to temperatures?

BTW, How can you know so much? I've compared the two dsdts and I don't understand how can you make those changes :). Thanks!

Hi, though this is my first post here, i'm not new to the osx scene and have had a few hackint0sh/osx vm's over the years.

Recently received a new laptop from work - the Asus u36sd (a bit upgraded, with 8gb memory and 7200rpm disk) - which is a great laptop with good compatibility, so i thought i'd go for a windows/lion/mint installation this time (giving each about 100gb of space).

After a few days of meddling around with dsdt's and kexts i have a pretty vanilla install of lion, upgraded to 10.7.2.

1. voodoohda for sound

2. atheros kext for lan

in my /extra/extensions i only have left evoreboot (not sure i need that anymore) and fakesmc.

i have patched and fixed in my dsdt almost all issues for cpus and speedstep (also using speedstepper for bin-patching), sleep/shutdown, kp from hpet and wrong irq's, and wifi.

QE/CI on the Intel HD 3000 (i5 2410m sandy bridge) is working due to smbios.plist for macbookpro8,1 and a chameleon patch i did for chameleon 2.1 (latest from svn) based on the work done for chimera (just changed a few bits in the tables because it was causing me black screens due to double width pointers used).

attached are my original extracted dsdt and the modded one, as well as ioreg output.

u36sd.zip

1. is it possible to use the applehda kext without modifications to it with the ALC269? i mean, only using pinconfig and configdata injections from dsdt? has anyone done that? i've been trying with no success and ended up going the voodoohda way, but it does have it's drawbacks (had to change the name of hdef to snd1 so applehda does not load).

2. bluetooth - is driving me nuts. it is identified and turned on properly if the first boot is to windows. if consequent boots are to lion, it will show and work just fine. but if first boot is to lion, it will not work.

my theory is that since it's attached on an internal usb port - it is somehow not properly turned on at boot.

hopefully this just requires a dsdt patch, but i could not find anyone else suffering this (ar3011 chip). i traced it down to BRST which i assume is that status for bt and btdp which i am not sure what it does.

I tried setting both to 0x01 in many situations, all i got was a turned on wifi once...

3. battery - i guess this is not working because all variables are 16 bit instead of 8, but i'm not sure and was wandering if anyone has had any experience with asus dsdt's and battery?

Other than those minot issues, this is a perfect install and i'm quite enjoying it. i used a lot of the guides and info lurking around here - so thanks to all those that already helped without even knowing.

• Like 1

Are C-States and P-States working?

1. voodoohda for sound

2. atheros kext for lan

u36sd.zip

I've ordered this machine from amazon, I would really like to know which exact model do you have, i bought this one: ASUS U36SD-A1.

@Claudio A. - I have the same one, i think it's the only one being sold now - we just got it upgraded with more ram (8gb instead of 4gb - and a replacement hdd - 7200rpm instead of the included 5400).

With regards to the dsdt and kexts - it's still a wip, i'll post a complete thing when i'm done - but you best bet as a start is to go with the myhack usb installation and then use whichever tool you like to generate the smbios (i personally prefer champlist.app).

as for the temperatures/etc - everything works fine once you get speedstep working with dsdt mods and speedstepper - i'm not 100% sure still that my smbus is working perfectly, as a matter of fact i get a few KP's when i try and play with it - but it's at the bottom of my list currently.

Are C-States and P-States working?

Seem to be working and generating fine - i also exported the SSDT tables just to be on the safe side - don't think i patched anything there.

Anyone able to help with the BT issue? i've basically tried everything i can think of - except taking apart the way linux does it. because even if i try and activate the right registers/code when waking from sleep or on _ini - it doesn't work - the most i've got it to do is light up the wifi/bt light :thumbsdown_anim:

@Claudio A. - I have the same one, i think it's the only one being sold now - we just got it upgraded with more ram (8gb instead of 4gb - and a replacement hdd - 7200rpm instead of the included 5400).

With regards to the dsdt and kexts - it's still a wip, i'll post a complete thing when i'm done - but you best bet as a start is to go with the myhack usb installation and then use whichever tool you like to generate the smbios (i personally prefer champlist.app).

as for the temperatures/etc - everything works fine once you get speedstep working with dsdt mods and speedstepper - i'm not 100% sure still that my smbus is working perfectly, as a matter of fact i get a few KP's when i try and play with it - but it's at the bottom of my list currently.

Seem to be working and generating fine - i also exported the SSDT tables just to be on the safe side - don't think i patched anything there.

Anyone able to help with the BT issue? i've basically tried everything i can think of - except taking apart the way linux does it. because even if i try and activate the right registers/code when waking from sleep or on _ini - it doesn't work - the most i've got it to do is light up the wifi/bt light :P

Thanks a lot for the information! When I receive the notebook I will post again here, to ask you for some help in the process :)

One more thing, this blog post: http://xeeynamo.blogspot.com/2011/10/insta...asus-u36sd.html its also about the U36SD, its in Italian I know -_-.

Hi alianyn :( thank you for the guide and for your experience about the OSX on the U36SD. I have a RX002V and I have nearly full hardware support thanks to some kexts and continuously tries. As the user Claudio told on the previous post, I wrote a guide to install OSX Lion on our notebook and I'll be happy if we can improve our guides to have a nearly perfect OSX on the U36SD. I'll try your DSDT when I have a bit of time tomorrow!

PS. How did you learned to edit DSDT?

Hi @Xeeynamo - I'm writing a short guide in english on how to install on the U36SD, it would be cool to cooperate on it.

I'm trying to minimize the use of specially crafted kexts though, for 2 main reasons:

1. upgradability - though apple upgrades are not that few inbetween, i do not want to have to go through the process again and wait for new kexts when an update comes out.

2. the hardware is very close to a mac hardware and therefor most of it should work - it's both the technological interest in me as well as laziness i guess :(

I have done some more work on my dsdt - and it is attached in compiled formal (aml)

dsdt.aml.zip

It has better support for usb3/sleep/shutdown - for example - no more kernel panic while unplugging a device from the port.

also fans/states are working better - and i'm getting better temperatures and noise...

i also compiled new fakesmc plugins so i'm getting reading on a few more things but there's still a lot of work to be done, mainly:

1. bluetooth does not turn on without first booting into windows - this is now my top priority. i need to take a look at the way linux does this but i'm guessing it will involve writing a custom kext to interact with the bios. calling obtd/bled/iane methods with different values in _wak/_ini did not accomplish anything.

2. i would also like to get the battery fully functioning - i'm not using voodoobattery and don't want to use it - due to the effect it has on boot time etc...

3. sound - i'm using voodoohda - but i'm gonna try an inject configdata and pinconfigurations to applehda again when i have some time.

all in all - after the last dsdt update i made and the new chameleon from svn - i'm VERY happy with lion 1.7.2 running on this - i'm actually thinking of re-formatting and giving less space for windows and more for lion...

BTW - there are a lot of guides on DSDT all over the net. I've been coding for a living for several years now, worked on linux (daemons/kernel modules/userland applications/some realtime code) and windows - win32api/wtl/mfc/com/etc... i read a bit of the acpi 4.0 spec and just went in trying stuff and crashing a lot - it's part of the fun for me :)

If you have a little background in coding dsl is pretty easy - it's a very rudimentary language.

I was hoping to get some help from the DSDT gurus on the bluetooth problem - but if anyone finds use in the DSDT i already have - i'm glad.

Excellent to hear that you are writing a guide! Are you going to post it here or in another thread?

Can't wait to check it out :)

Hi @Xeeynamo - I'm writing a short guide in english on how to install on the U36SD, it would be cool to cooperate on it.

I'm trying to minimize the use of specially crafted kexts though, for 2 main reasons:

1. upgradability - though apple upgrades are not that few inbetween, i do not want to have to go through the process again and wait for new kexts when an update comes out.

2. the hardware is very close to a mac hardware and therefor most of it should work - it's both the technological interest in me as well as laziness i guess :D

I have done some more work on my dsdt - and it is attached in compiled formal (aml)

dsdt.aml.zip

It has better support for usb3/sleep/shutdown - for example - no more kernel panic while unplugging a device from the port.

also fans/states are working better - and i'm getting better temperatures and noise...

i also compiled new fakesmc plugins so i'm getting reading on a few more things but there's still a lot of work to be done, mainly:

1. bluetooth does not turn on without first booting into windows - this is now my top priority. i need to take a look at the way linux does this but i'm guessing it will involve writing a custom kext to interact with the bios. calling obtd/bled/iane methods with different values in _wak/_ini did not accomplish anything.

2. i would also like to get the battery fully functioning - i'm not using voodoobattery and don't want to use it - due to the effect it has on boot time etc...

3. sound - i'm using voodoohda - but i'm gonna try an inject configdata and pinconfigurations to applehda again when i have some time.

all in all - after the last dsdt update i made and the new chameleon from svn - i'm VERY happy with lion 1.7.2 running on this - i'm actually thinking of re-formatting and giving less space for windows and more for lion...

BTW - there are a lot of guides on DSDT all over the net. I've been coding for a living for several years now, worked on linux (daemons/kernel modules/userland applications/some realtime code) and windows - win32api/wtl/mfc/com/etc... i read a bit of the acpi 4.0 spec and just went in trying stuff and crashing a lot - it's part of the fun for me ;)

If you have a little background in coding dsl is pretty easy - it's a very rudimentary language.

I was hoping to get some help from the DSDT gurus on the bluetooth problem - but if anyone finds use in the DSDT i already have - i'm glad.

@alianyn, could you post the new version of the DSDT decompiled? I'm trying to learn from your changes and it would be cool to check what has changed from the first version that you posted.

Thanks!

2. the hardware is very close to a mac hardware and therefor most of it should work - it's both the technological interest in me as well as laziness i guess ;)

dsdt.aml.zip

BTW - there are a lot of guides on DSDT all over the net. I've been coding for a living for several years now, worked on linux (daemons/kernel modules/userland applications/some realtime code) and windows - win32api/wtl/mfc/com/etc... i read a bit of the acpi 4.0 spec and just went in trying stuff and crashing a lot - it's part of the fun for me ;)

@alianyn: I tried your DSDT. The installer works fine, but I'm getting "Still waiting for root device" to the first boot. I used Chameleon 2.0 RC5 1083 (the one that works with my tutorial), the lastest Chameleon from the SVN's buildbot and the last version of Chimera but without success >.<

@Claudio A. - the dsdt file is right there - it's in your quote as well, i'm adding it again here:

dsdt.aml.zip

@Xeeynamo - i'm also attaching the chameleon i'm using to boot - it's a bit modified svn version (i mostly added parts from chimera and other edits i did), i used it with the myhack installation and all went perfect.

I did have to use the -f switch to boot, let me know if it helps - because i don't think this should be effected by the dsdt, so the solution should be simple.

Chameleon_2.1svn_r.zip

Hi @alianyn, thanks for the answer! ;) I was asking you for the decompiled version of the DSDT, I thought that you have made some changes between the two versions of the DSDT so I was looking forward to compare both versions.

Are you planning to write a guide from scratch?

@Claudio A. - the dsdt file is right there - it's in your quote as well, i'm adding it again here:

dsdt.aml.zip

@Xeeynamo - i'm also attaching the chameleon i'm using to boot - it's a bit modified svn version (i mostly added parts from chimera and other edits i did), i used it with the myhack installation and all went perfect.

I did have to use the -f switch to boot, let me know if it helps - because i don't think this should be effected by the dsdt, so the solution should be simple.

Chameleon_2.1svn_r.zip

@Claudio A. - the .aml is as good as the de-compiled version, because any dsdt editing app will load and decompile it for you. if you were looking to diff the file from my previous one, you could decompile it and then save it in text form, let me know if you have any problems, i'll post the .dml

As for the complete guide - that's a definite yes, working on it right now after i downloaded and installed iwork 2009. had a bit of a tough week at work (end of the year is always the craziest time), so i'm only getting to it now - but i should have something up during next week.

Excellent! Can't wait to check the guide :|

@Claudio A. - the .aml is as good as the de-compiled version, because any dsdt editing app will load and decompile it for you. if you were looking to diff the file from my previous one, you could decompile it and then save it in text form, let me know if you have any problems, i'll post the .dml

As for the complete guide - that's a definite yes, working on it right now after i downloaded and installed iwork 2009. had a bit of a tough week at work (end of the year is always the craziest time), so i'm only getting to it now - but i should have something up during next week.

Excellent! Can't wait to check the guide :D

hi everyone got u36sd RX 157D. Got triple OS now: XP,7x64,Lion.

OMG, Mald0n DSDT fix request post just been closed. Its been long time i havent visit this site.

Maybe we can request now to oldnapalm.

Tell me everyone: ive seen you are using different kexts:

Can you explain what kexts do you use? I am still using standard myhack kexts.

Err. I got 4k Seagate HDD 640GB. Chameleon 2.1 not fixed to resolve this problem. Need usb stick to boot.

@alianyn, I managed to boot to Lion installer using MyHack USB stick but with the last chameleon from svn trunk.

I added you DSDT and macbook pro 8,1 smbios, booting to the installer went ok, but my keyboard and trackpad are not working.. so don't know how to solve this issues.

Do I have to use a particular kext in enable the keyboard?

Do I need to re apply your DSDT modifications on my own DSDT? Or your DSDT should be working on my machine? I can see for example that the wireless adapter is recognized using your DSDT...

Could you attach the Kext and smbios that you are using?

Thanks a ton!

@Xeeynamo, I've test @alianyn DSDT with the last build of chameleon from svn trunk, and the " Still waiting for root device" problem went away.

I have used this version: Chameleon-2.1svn-r1684

@alianyn: I tried your DSDT. The installer works fine, but I'm getting "Still waiting for root device" to the first boot. I used Chameleon 2.0 RC5 1083 (the one that works with my tutorial), the lastest Chameleon from the SVN's buildbot and the last version of Chimera but without success >.<

Claudio, you need to use ps2 kext inside extra my hack booting USB.

However in the installation, it still needs a USB keyboard, an it is normal for lion installation on any pc.

You can buy USB keyboard or in advanced mode you can use a little hack for enabling ps2 keyboard for installation, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t261460.html

Still, I recommended you to buy USB keyboard desktop just for installation.

• 1 month later...

I would like to add more information about the battery:

1) Download the kexts from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264597&view=findpost&p=1729132

2) Read these posts:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264597&view=findpost&p=1778030

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264597&view=findpost&p=1778307

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264597&view=findpost&p=1778326

to apply the great patch that @18seven made.

The battery indicator is working, it shows around 4:20 hours when full charged..

Hi,

I'm having u36sd rx261d with updated bios version 206 and triple boot.

I used the DTSD from alianyn patched with the battery diff from 18seven and got the time remaining working, the percentage however remains to 0%. It also detects when laptop is charging or not charging.

I see everywhere that you are having problems with the shutdown and sleep which for me is not a problem. The shutdown is working since the begining and the sleep after installing the following kext: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1948

Had some problems with the iGain - on each reboot the mic was screeming through my speakers until I set the Monitor option in /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

<dict>

<key>iGain</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>iMix</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>Monitor</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

Here is what I use in Extra:

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown _unknown 1024 Oct 1 19:53 AnyCardReader.kext

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown _unknown 1024 Dec 22 10:17 AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown _unknown 1024 Dec 20 12:01 AtherosL1cEthernet.kext

drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Dec 19 23:31 FakeSMC.kext

drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Dec 19 23:31 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown _unknown 1024 Dec 22 06:38 SleepEnabler.kext

I'm glad all of you keep updating this thread as it makes this laptop a macbook pro ;)

Hello @cyber4o, glad to know that someone else has an asus u36sd :)

I know that shutdown works, I don't really use the sleep feature :)

About your kexts, I recommend to apply speedstepper patch and remove:

drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Dec 19 23:31 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Also you may move all the kexts to s/l/e and then apply the UseKernelCache = true in your boot options. It will boot faster.

Hello @cyber4o, glad to know that someone else has an asus u36sd :) I know that shutdown works, I don't really use the sleep feature :) About your kexts, I recommend to apply speedstepper patch and remove: drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Dec 19 23:31 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext Also you may move all the kexts to s/l/e and then apply the UseKernelCache = true in your boot options. It will boot faster.

Hi Claudio,

and thanks for the hints!

1. after appying speedstepper I was able to boot without NullCPUPowerManagement

2. when the rest of the kexts were moved to s/l/e they we not loaded

3. when I build the mkext with the command kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions and boot the box was not able to mount root so I booted with the installer and removed /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext in order to boot properly.

do you have any hints about points 2 and 3?

Thanks in advance

I managed to fix points 2/3 by editting /usr/standalone/bootcaches.plist to set MKext2 and set nothing in Chammeleon config

the kexd then made its own mkext and booted properly, the thread I used for that is http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=270355

Edited by cyber4o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

After 1 day fighting with the Bluetooth on our laptops I finally made it work on startup and after wake up from sleep. I'm attaching a file containing all you need and here is how to install it:

su -

or

sudo -i

cd /

tar xzvf /location/of/bluetooth.tar.gz

then execute:

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.ath.plist

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.sleepwatcher.plist

and you have fully functional bluetooth after you reboot or wake up :)

cheers

bluetooth.tar.gz

i am a noob at hackintosh thing. alianyn, would you mind to teach me how to install osx lion on asus u36sd from very beginning step? thx a lot

I can tell you how I managed to install.

First you need a running installation of Mac OS 10.6.x (10.7.x should also work).

Then I created a bootable Lion-USB-Stick (see the OS X Lion install section).

On your USB-Stick you should have now a folder called "Extra". Place the dsdt.aml from alianyn there.

I have put some kexts inside the Extentions folder (attached except of NullCPUManagement which should already be there if not you have to put it in).

Now you can try to boot but for me I have to disable Bluetooth Adapter in BIOS.

After that Lion booted well and I installed it. (If you are planning to install Linux and/or Windows too you have to create more partitions)

After installation boot again from the USB-Stick but now choose your Lion install on your HDD. ( now you maybe need an USB Keyboard/Mouse just for the first setup)

After that you have to install the Chameleon Bootloader to your HDD. (If you are able to install it on the USB-Stick that should be no problem)

Now copy all of the kexts in in the Extra/Extenstions folder from your USB to /Extra/Extenstions on your local disk.

You should be able to boot now without the USB-Stick.

Now you're almost done. Install synaptics touchpad driver and voodooHDA if sound needed, but for me it was noise every reboot so I deleted it.

To get better battery life you have to patch your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext with speed_stepper patch for you Lion version and remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from /Extra/Extentions/.

It should be done.

(You can now put Graphics Mode 1366x768x32 in you org.chameleon.Boot.plist to get a nice bootloader your resolution in OS X should be correct anyway)

Hope that it helped.

Extentions.zip

• Like 2