Fix Lion 10.7.2 on VMware

Donk

69 posts in this topic

Decided to put this in one place so everyone can see what to do. Firstly thanks Zenith432 for finding the offending extension and showing 10.7.1 still works. The post is here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1758947

If you have yet to upgrade then follow these simple steps to avoid the problem.

1. Take a snapshot, backup or do something to make sure you can always get back if something goes wrong.

2. Start the Lion guest and the open a Terminal under Applications Utilities

3. Copy the existing AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to the current directory:

cp -rv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext .

4. Now run the 10.7.2 update package but stop and do not reboot - if you do go find that backup or snapshot as you will have to start again! See the attached image.

5. Go back to the terminal prompt and run these 2 commands. You will be prompted for your password.

sudo rm -rfv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext
sudo cp -rv AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /System/Library/Extensions

6. Now you can reboot.

If everything is done correctly should reboot successfully using the older SCSI driver.

post-142645-1318514312_thumb.png

So, thinking out loud here. Since I'm one of the stupid ones that upgraded yesterday without having made a backup or snapshot, and considering I'm in an ESXi5 environment (not Fusion), is there any feasible solution for me other than wiping out the VM and starting over? I'll do that if I have to, but maybe I could create a new Lion VM and install from my Lion CD, then mount the vmdk from my hosed Lion install in the new VM and replace the offending file? Should that work?

I'd still have to hassle with installing Lion again, but at least I wouldn't have to spend all the time re-customizing and updating it.

I first looked for ideas of mounting the vmdk in one of my windows VMs but that looks hairy--I never did find out if it's possible to mount HFS in windows with RW access... the only solutions I found would mount the disk but read-only, which wouldn't help me.

Appreciate any suggestions if people have them. I could install Fusion on one of my Macs but I think transferring the 100GB vmdk over and back might take longer than just setting up a temporary mac VM on the server to switch out the file.

is there any feasible solution for me other than wiping out the VM and starting over?
You don't have to fully install Lion. Create a VMDK with FAT32 partition, and put the files you want to install there (older version of SCSI driver.) Add this VMDK, and also the Lion install DVD to your existing VM. Boot the Lion install DVD. At some stage, you get a screen with a menubar and you can run tools from the menubar. So run Terminal from the menubar. Look under /Volumes to see where your FAT32 volume and target Lion volume are mounted. Then copy and install the older kext (don't forget to chown 0:0 after putting it in /S/L/E).

This can also be done from the EFI shell, instead of booting the Lion install DVD, since the shell can read FAT32 and HFS+ volumes, and has commands for copying files. You'll need to read the shell help to figure out how. I don't remember if you can chown the kext to root from the shell.

[actually, not sure the EFI shell can write HFS+ volumes, so this may not be an option]

When installing Lion on a GPT-partitioned hard disk, it creates a Recovery partition, so there maybe a recovery partition on the Lion disk that you can boot instead of the Lion install DVD.

Edit: HFS+ partitions are read-only in the EFI shell, so that option is out. There's a recovery partition there, but I couldn't figure out how to boot it. The boot loader there doesn't read the correct com.apple.Boot.plist, and I'm not sure what the command line parameter for that is.

So, thinking out loud here. Since I'm one of the stupid ones that upgraded yesterday without having made a backup or snapshot, and considering I'm in an ESXi5 environment (not Fusion), is there any feasible solution for me other than wiping out the VM and starting over? I'll do that if I have to, but maybe I could create a new Lion VM and install from my Lion CD, then mount the vmdk from my hosed Lion install in the new VM and replace the offending file? Should that work?

I'd still have to hassle with installing Lion again, but at least I wouldn't have to spend all the time re-customizing and updating it.

I first looked for ideas of mounting the vmdk in one of my windows VMs but that looks hairy--I never did find out if it's possible to mount HFS in windows with RW access... the only solutions I found would mount the disk but read-only, which wouldn't help me.

Appreciate any suggestions if people have them. I could install Fusion on one of my Macs but I think transferring the 100GB vmdk over and back might take longer than just setting up a temporary mac VM on the server to switch out the file.

I have an idea to sort this out with the installer ISO and a VMDK with the required version of the file. Let me think it through and try it out but will be tomorrow as don't have access to ESXi box.

When installing Lion on a GPT-partitioned hard disk, it creates a Recovery partition, so there maybe a recovery partition on the Lion disk that you can boot instead of the Lion install DVD.

Great stuff... thank you. I know I definitely do have the Lion Recovery partition, just not sure how to invoke it via the VSphere client on a Windows box. Normally on my Mac I hold down the "option" key at boot and that lets me choose what partition to boot from. Also read somewhere that Command+R will also tell Lion to boot from the Recovery partition.

Normally I run the Vsphere Client from a Windows VM accessed via RDP from my Mac (yeah, slightly convoluted). So I'm just not sure how my Mac's Command/Option keys are mapped when translated through RDP and then through the VSphere Client.

But your first suggestion definitely sounds feasible. I'll try it tonight and report back. In the meantime, if anyone knows a trick for invoking the boot disk choice within an ESXi environment I'd definitely like to know. I know I can set my choice from within OS X before rebooting but in cases like this that doesn't do me any good.

Thanks again.

I have an idea to sort this out with the installer ISO and a VMDK with the required version of the file. Let me think it through and try it out but will be tomorrow as don't have access to ESXi box.

Thanks Donk. In the meantime I will try out Zenith432's method and will let everyone know how it goes.

Great stuff... thank you. I know I definitely do have the Lion Recovery partition, just not sure how to invoke it via the VSphere client on a Windows box. Normally on my Mac I hold down the "option" key at boot and that lets me choose what partition to boot from. Also read somewhere that Command+R will also tell Lion to boot from the Recovery partition.

Normally I run the Vsphere Client from a Windows VM accessed via RDP from my Mac (yeah, slightly convoluted). So I'm just not sure how my Mac's Command/Option keys are mapped when translated through RDP and then through the VSphere Client.

But your first suggestion definitely sounds feasible. I'll try it tonight and report back. In the meantime, if anyone knows a trick for invoking the boot disk choice within an ESXi environment I'd definitely like to know. I know I can set my choice from within OS X before rebooting but in cases like this that doesn't do me any good.

Thanks again.

If you go to the guests settings dialog on the secvond tab there is an option to force boot to BIOS. Select that and you should end up in the EFI BIOS screens. Should be to select startup from there. Sorry can't help more right now.

Decided to put this in one place so everyone can see what to do. Firstly thanks Zenith432 for finding the offending extension and showing 10.7.1 still works. The post is here.

1. Take a snapshot, backup or do something to make sure you can always get back if something goes wrong.

4. Now run the 10.7.2 update package but stop and do not reboot - if you do go find that backup or snapshot as you will have to start again! See the attached image.

5. Go back to the terminal prompt and run these 2 commands. You will be prompted for your password.

6. Now you can reboot.

If everything is done correctly should reboot successfully using the older SCSI driver.

firstly, thanks for the solution, but i got some questions to ask.

1- im copying the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to the sys/lib/ext and adding the command line 'cp -rv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext'

after that i install the 10.7.2 gm combo update. then when i run the second command you wrote, it says no such file or directory.

2- im logging as guest at the beginning. when i go like that, it doesnt even accept the password which is asked in the terminal sudo commands.

i'm running on os x 10.7.1 in workstation 7.1.3. your help will be appreciated.

firstly, thanks for the solution, but i got some questions to ask.

1- im copying the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext to the sys/lib/ext and adding the command line 'cp -rv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext'

after that i install the 10.7.2 gm combo update. then when i run the second command you wrote, it says no such file or directory.

2- im logging as guest at the beginning. when i go like that, it doesnt even accept the password which is asked in the terminal sudo commands.

i'm running on os x 10.7.1 in workstation 7.1.3. your help will be appreciated.

This won't work as Guest user. You need to be able to administer the machine so need a regular user account.

I have a snapshot of just before I did the update. The problem is: to update, I have to accept the restart. If I do it logs me out (or something like that) and I can't go back to put "AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext" back.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a snapshot of just before I did the update. The problem is: to update, I have to accept the restart. If I do it logs me out (or something like that) and I can't go back to put "AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext" back.

What am I doing wrong?

Just don't click the restart button until you have run the second set of commands.

Well, okay.

I thought the point of doing this is to create a backup before running the installer and restore it after running it, but it feels like everything is being done after I click "Reboot" from the Software Update. (And it feels like this won't have any use.)

What am I doing wrong?

i made the same mistake that you did at first :(

download the update from apple website not from the update software.

MacOSXupdCombo10.7.2.dmg

i made the same mistake that you did at first :)

download the update from apple website not from the update software.

MacOSXupdCombo10.7.2.dmg

Oh, thanks. I'm downloading that file from Apple ATM. Too bad I'm wasting the 400mb I've already downloaded :D

Is it true that this happens on normal genuine macs running fusion as well ? If so major screw up.

Thanks guys for the heads up. I updated to 10.7.2 without knowing that the scsi extension was messed up.

Maybe it will be of any benefit to someone how I "fixed" it:

I simply used the disk I prepared to install Lion back when it was GM, booted using the bootmenu, then ran terminal and simply copied the extension from that disk onto the normal disk I use to run Lion.

The only thing that I needed to do was to issue:

mount -w -t /dev/disk1s2

In order to make the volume mounted as read/write.

Then copied the GM extension onto the disk and did a chown 0:0 on the extension, rebooted brought me back to Lion running 10.7.2.

jvangent100 thanks a lot--your method was painless and it worked great. I merged your instructions with Donk's from earlier in the thread and voila--my Lion VM is resurrected.

zenith432 thanks for identifying the fix so quickly too. After I hosed my VM yesterday I figured I'd be down a week at least... but just over a day later and I'm back in business.

Really appreciate everyone's help. I think I'll take a snapshot now :(

I make the ugly mistake of upgrading without taking a snapshot. But I got lucky. I had a second OSX VM on my VMWare ESX 5 host.

I added the 10.7.2 disk to the other OSX, booted and replaced the offending extension. A bit painful (specially to admit that I forgot the snapshot) but quick. Now I have both OSX images at 10.7.2 and I've saved the ext on a tar file for future use.

6. Now you can reboot.

Thanks for this post. I was able to successfully upgrade to 10.7.2. Now installing mac OS X server

Any chance there is a full walk through for how to do this including all required steps? I've got 10.7.1 setup and working but I'm not entirely sure how to do this process.

What are you unclear on? Donk's post is pretty thorough. The only detail that isn't clear is that you should download the 10.7.2 update from Apple's web site and not use software update to do it. The reason for that is so you can copy back the old version of the problematic file prior to the reboot.

But the most important part of the whole thing is to take that snapshot prior to doing anything! That way if you screw up you can always revert to that snapshot.

The problem I'm having and I suspect some others above is following the install, osx will automatically reboot, there is no option to choose when you want to reboot. I've tried auto update which doesn't work since the 10.7.2 updated files are only copied during the shutdown sequence, I've tried the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo and also the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 (Client) which prompts you before the install with this:

dm-O1ZA.jpg

If you choose cancel the update will cancel, if you choose continue, the system will automatically reboot without a prompt so there is no time to restore the old AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

The problem I'm having and I suspect some others above is following the install, osx will automatically reboot, there is no option to choose when you want to reboot. I've tried auto update which doesn't work since the 10.7.2 updated files are only copied during the shutdown sequence, I've tried the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo and also the OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 (Client) which prompts you before the install with this:

dm-O1ZA.jpg

If you choose cancel the update will cancel, if you choose continue, the system will automatically reboot without a prompt so there is no time to restore the old AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

Go and download the update from Support site DO NOT use Software Update.